• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond drive destruction

ACWill530

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2017
Blew up my diamond drive. Looking at ordering a unit from Bdx. Anyone have any experience with the Bdx unit? Will it hold up any better on my turbo sled?
f91f95deffeff47fd2c2b677f18a858a.jpg
49b258d5e5310f4c457d7e78d5cb30a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
No experience with aftermarket DD units.

Just curious what yr, miles, oil changed each season, 5203 sealed bearing? Was the shoulder machined back or the trackshaft shortened prior to installing the double row bearing?

Sounds like it is turboed. Guessing M8. How many miles since installing turbo?

ACWill530

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2017
Sled is a 2011 M8 HCR with a boondocker pump gas turbo. I got it early this season, had 2300 miles on it, turbo has been on since new. I put about 500 miles on it this year and broke it last weekend.

I changed the fluid in it right after I got it before the first ride. Does not appear to have had the bearing upgrade. I was planning on looking into it during this off season...

I'm gonna try the Bdx drive and rebuild this one as a spare over the summer. I got a quote on all the parts to rebuild from arctic cat and the Bdx drive with track shaft is almost the same price.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
looks like it did have the double row bearing in it. you can see the race on the end of the transfer gear. now if it was just put on without taking 1.5mm off the shoulder of the gear then you will have this problem.
the bdx is a better version and you have to do it with the bdx drive shaft.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
If money is a factor, find a used stock unit and replace bearings. Funny thing about the diamond drive is that the gears are very hefty...the bearings have side loading and are only radial bearings...which dont take that load well. Check out diamond drive bearing thread on M series section...even double rows go with time. And, yes, your year requires 1.5mm off the end of the double row bearing shaft. Yes, BDX was known for great durability and quality. I know a few that used them in 1000 turbos...solid. But a PG 800 doesnt need that. My 09 PG 800 turbo jas stock diamond drive...just did bearing at 1200 miles...race was coming apart. And looking at your failure, the stripped gear is on the double row...likely came apart and allowed too much tooth clwarance...gear chew situation.

B

BradM8

Aug 4, 2012
Proper way is to measure if the tunnel is too narrow and puts side load on the diamond drive assembly. This was common on the 09-11 M's. I cut 0.120" total out of the driveshaft collars to make it good. People have cut the shoulder of the transfer gear but it is taking up the difference in the wrong spot and then you are not getting 100% gear contact on it. This is something that would be more of an issue if you have a done up turbo. This has been beaten to death on the forums and has alot of info if you do some searches. Also from my understanding BDX were the originators of the diamond drive and their products are way better than the production cat units.

ACWill530

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2017
I was surprised at how much metal ended up in that case. It went out on me mid hill climb and it was a long day getting it back to the trailer. Glad you enjoyed the yard sale pics...

I went ahead and ordered a bdx drive and their track shaft. Hopefully they have worked out the bearing issue and it's a drop in unit, no worrying about machining anything or swapping out ****ty bearings.

From what they told me the Bdx unit is a little lighter and holds more fluid. Looks to be a more stout unit with the option for their high torque gear set.

I'll post some pics of the new drive, should be in on Wednesday.

Premium Features