• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ctec2 exhaust flames

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Saturday my sled had large flames shooting out of the exhaust when I stopped. It went on for a bit before I shut it down as I couldn’t understand what my cousin was yelling. Bone stock 2018 Mountain Cat, 1150 miles. I had read about some ZR’s having an issue. As far as I know it’s the first time this has happened. It did backfire when I finally hit the kill switch. I forget the rpm but it didn’t come back down to the 1800ish it normally does. Since I had heard of the issue I rode it the rest of the day without incident. But it is a bit nerve wracking. They were pretty big flames!

Any ideas? Has this happened to anybody else? I ride in Maine between 1000 and 4000 feet.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Mine does it also, and ive heard of more that does it. Bad exhaust design or to much fueling? My skid plate and plastic does melt from heat around the exhaust outlet, have spoken to my dealer and he told me they would take care of it.

S
Mar 25, 2015
New Hampshah
My dealer said the 2019's calibration will address the flame-thrower issue. Apparently, the current calibration runs pretty rich on the top end, and after a long ride or long full throttle pull, quite a bit of unburnt fuel escapes into the exhaust and can ignite from the heat of the pipe. Thus, flame-throwing kitty cats.

I mentioned in another post that the new calibration needs to be EPA-certified which is supposedly an 9+ month process, so the 2019s will have it, but no telling when dealers can reflash any 2018s (I'm assuming a simple reflash is all that's needed).

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
i heard they were gonna change/warranty stock cans and remap. something about letting unburnt gas collect in bottom of can.

never had issue but i've been with MBRP can since day 1.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
My skid plate has melting at the outlet and I get an occasional backfire when I shut it off. 18 Diamond S quiet can

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
After 400miles, just like the ole Zuke, mine started the high idle after some long pulls, would backfire if i shut it down, let it idle down to 1,850 before i shut it down and no problem.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
This is what happens when you only have two spark plugs. Not enough spark to burn all that gas.

As every cat owner knows. The minimum number is 4. Maybe next year they'll overcorrect and build a head with 8.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Batmobile aint got nothing on that sled!

My M1000 used to backfire when shutting down. I soon realized it was doing this because I was running too much octane for the elevation, resulting in unburnt gas igniting in the exhaust. No flame thrower though.

I went from 91 to 89 octane and the backfire went away and my sled actually ran cleaner/better on the low end.

What really fixed it was the correct head for my elevation. I went to a RKT head and gained power and the gas actually got burnt in the cylinder...not more backfire and much, much better low end response.

Premium Features