For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Cameras All things Still Photography

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 01:40 AM
Currently: Itchy Thumb!!
RideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nikon D90 Digigtal SLR with Movie Mode

Who has them and how do you like them??

I've been using a Canon S2IS for the last few years... It shoots decent pictures and decent video.....

I've always wanted a Digital SLR for the Awsome pictures and Nikon seems to make some nice stuff....

I see now that the D90 is able to shoot HD movie mode at something like 1020x720..... But only 24 fps...??? even the new Canon's shoot 60 fps....

Does anybody have one and how do you like it??

Sounds like a camera that can do both job's well enough for posting on the internet when you have to compress everything anyway's for storage purpose's....

I know the which camera and why has been done to death.... but this D90 sounds good?? Any opinions to avoid having to purchase both a DSLR and a Video Cam. ???

T.I.A.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 10-31-2008, 02:40 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Superdutytd has a reputation beyond reputeSuperdutytd has a reputation beyond reputeSuperdutytd has a reputation beyond reputeSuperdutytd has a reputation beyond reputeSuperdutytd has a reputation beyond reputeSuperdutytd has a reputation beyond reputeSuperdutytd has a reputation beyond reputeSuperdutytd has a reputation beyond reputeSuperdutytd has a reputation beyond reputeSuperdutytd has a reputation beyond reputeSuperdutytd has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't this just come out? I am interested in this too as I liked being able to shoot the short videos with my 'good' still camera.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Basic Member
JDKZRT has a reputation beyond reputeJDKZRT has a reputation beyond reputeJDKZRT has a reputation beyond reputeJDKZRT has a reputation beyond reputeJDKZRT has a reputation beyond reputeJDKZRT has a reputation beyond reputeJDKZRT has a reputation beyond reputeJDKZRT has a reputation beyond reputeJDKZRT has a reputation beyond reputeJDKZRT has a reputation beyond reputeJDKZRT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rideguy View Post
I've been using a Canon S2IS for the last few years...
All the reviews about the D90 rate it as excellent, but you're going to really increase your backpack load with camera body/lenses/protective gear if you replace your S2.
I like those S2/S3/S5's.... awesome pics. considering the zoom range of the lense.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Basic Member
XcYZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be picking one up soon.

As for fps, there's plenty of D90 video out there now to check out:

http://vimeo.com/D90

Last edited by XcYZ; 10-31-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:15 PM
Currently: on another forum
Basic Member
icr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond repute

A little off topic but the new canon shoots amazing HD...I saw a promo vid shot with it and you would've thought it was a $10K HD video camera, not a DSLR

Old 10-31-2008, 03:44 PM
RideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond reputeRideGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by icr View Post
A little off topic but the new canon shoots amazing HD...I saw a promo vid shot with it and you would've thought it was a $10K HD video camera, not a DSLR
Not off topic at all.... I'm interested in DSLR's and never thought they would have Video Mode any time soon.... Which Canon does both? I've had nothing but great things to say about my Canon's!!!

Quote:
All the reviews about the D90 rate it as excellent, but you're going to really increase your backpack load with camera body/lenses/protective gear if you replace your S2.
I like those S2/S3/S5's.... awesome pics. considering the zoom range of the lense.
Ya the load will be a bit bigger with a DSLR But I love fine quality photo's and think it may be worth it..... I agree that the Optical Zoom on the S2/S3/S5's are awsome... and I have been contemplating going that route... Maybe I need to research a bit more......

But I do love the Wide screen format and the rich colours with HD.....

Quote:
As for fps, there's plenty of D90 video out there now to check out:

http://vimeo.com/D90
Video looks amazing.... I just wonder how much it would break the bank to have all of the different Lens's to shoot like that......

What should a guy get for editing software??

I've used Window's movie maker, and Adobe..... I know I'm going to need a new quad core processor to throw that much information around..... But it's worth it to have epic Ride's on file!!!

Last edited by RideGuy; 10-31-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Basic Member
icr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond reputeicr has a reputation beyond repute

the Canon EOS 5D Mark II shoots 1080P!! 21Megapixels!

review

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/

video samples (not the one I saw...can't find it)

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/can...kII/page15.asp

It isn't cheap though
US: $ 2,699

Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icr View Post
the Canon EOS 5D Mark II shoots 1080P!! 21Megapixels!

review

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/

video samples (not the one I saw...can't find it)

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/can...kII/page15.asp

It isn't cheap though
US: $ 2,699

Wow.. that is one heck of a camera.... Not sure how I would feel bumping and jumping in the back country with such a costly camera..... Impressive to say the least!!!

Few more years and that will be a nice standard for the majority!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:50 PM
Basic Member

Yep...I'm hoping to get a used one in a couple years