• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha Sliders

B
Nov 11, 2009
Canada
Anyone else with 200+ miles on their alpha? Noticed some pieces of slider stuck in the track clips on my last ride. I’ve been keeping a close eye on track tension because I know what new tracks do when they wear in. Before I left for the last trip, I had right on 2” spec for tension and now I have just a touch over 2”. Check out this slider. This is the front right where the slider curves down with the rail. It looks like the T clips are trying to climb out of their slot between the rails and in the process is chewing the sh!t out of the sliders. Going to try tightening to 1.5” tension with 20lb weight which is a bit tighter than spec.

Anyone seen this yet?

IMG-2301smaller.jpg

IMG-2303smaller.jpg

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I noticed the same thing while riding a rental alpha.
(Track inspections while getting unstuck)

Definitely the center clip riding out of the slot.

B
Nov 11, 2009
Canada
There is only one adjustment bolt in the center. The sides cannot be independently adjusted.

But yes, it does appear to be perfectly centered on the rear wheels and the clips line up with the slot in the rail after letting the track come to a stop on its own in the air.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
checked two alphas, one with 250 miles, the other 300....one moderately aggressive rider, the other very aggressive....both looked normal, no gouges or cuts....:face-icon-small-coo

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I gotta ask.
When did people start calling the hifax "sliders" and why?
Are we gonna start calling the clutches "spinners" ?

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
I’m seeing a little of this on mine. A couple of the track clips have plastic from the hyfax in them. Something to watch for sure. With a front driver on a track, it will naturally slack in that spot even if you have the track fairly snug.

B
Nov 11, 2009
Canada
I’m seeing a little of this on mine. A couple of the track clips have plastic from the hyfax in them. Something to watch for sure. With a front driver on a track, it will naturally slack in that spot even if you have the track fairly snug.

I checked my front track shock and somehow it dropped from 80psi to 45psi over the course of 6 riding days. Track tension was perfect but I think the lack of shock pressure is the reason for what happened.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Everyone calls them sliders around here and I’ve been sledding for 20+ years.
I got 30yrs and never heard the term sliders till this yr.
I see ur Canadian. Maybe that is what is different? Maybe it's east coast vs west coast?

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
I checked my front track shock and somehow it dropped from 80psi to 45psi over the course of 6 riding days. Track tension was perfect but I think the lack of shock pressure is the reason for what happened.

80 would be pretty high for the front track shock. I’m sitting at 60 now I believe. Rode the first day at 70 and that was too high for me.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Would you be able to post some pics of the track clips and the front of the hyfax? I’m curious if there’s any difference in design. The way mine is I don’t see any way the track clips wouldn’t gouge the hyfax. I think they need to build up the rail in front of the hyfax to guide the track clips between them better to not allow them to contact the front edge. They could also fill in the track clip so it doesn’t have the sharp edge that can scrape on the hyfax.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
This is what I thought would happen when you only have the ctr. being the only guide! Either increase it's height or add some outside guides every other to help keep it in-line? You would need to increase the height beyond the rubber nub. This would also help with friction as some believe every-other will wear out the track, due to not being on the paddle,? Mike

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I see ur Canadian. Maybe that is what is different? Maybe it's east coast vs west coast?

Maybe it's a canuck thing, but when Arctic Cat first released the rear suspension years ago in the days of bogies, they called it "slide rail suspension". I believe the name "hyfax" came several years later when every manufacturer jumped on the bandwagon...

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Cats have always like a loose track, not sure Alpha would be any different

you first time Cat guys should get used to loose is fast

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador

East coast Canadian here, we call them sliders as well. I never heard "hifax" until I was introduced to the internet. :face-icon-small-hap

In any case, you would think they'd install two adjusters and a pivoting shaft so you could put more tension on one rear wheel than the other.. Hopefully everything is square and the track never side travels.. but that is a lot to hope for in my opinion.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Is the hyfax on the Alpha the same as a twin rail setup? If you needed a replacement?

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
As I understand they are different. Have a buddy with an alpha. Dealer swapped them side to side and tightened the track supposedly cats spec was wrong too loose. New hifax available mid January.

Premium Features