• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP PIPE needing Octane

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Anyone else having to run Ave gas or Lucas octane booster with there SLP pipe? Riding from 2450 to 6000 ft ?

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
If you have the supplied resistor installed and the sled in ethanol mode 91 octane fuel is perfectly fine at low elevations, been running mine that way for 3yrs. High elevations I remove the resister and put it in non ethanol mode with 91.

Last edited:

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I am running 92 oct non ethanol ,on non ethanol setting with a resistor .Per advice from SLP plus Lucas octane booster . With out booster or ave gas it goes into like limp mode and service engine light comes on . Last year running the Lucas on climbs it would act like it was hitting the rev limiter . I am pulling 8450 rpm , running 68 gr Rooster weights , Tki Belt drive and a SLP pipe and HPS can . 16 Axys 163 . My ridding partner is riding a 17 Assault , full SLP pipe & can no resistor , 66 gr belly buster 155 X 3 track 8300 rpm plus I weigh 75 lbs more . I may try 70 gr this year .

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I ride with a couple guys running only the SLP pipe and silencer who go into Det quite often, pretty scary when charging up a steep narrow chute with no turn out. They started running 10% 110 in an effort to keep their machines from going into limp.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Have ridden 2 with that set up that are fine. Was just talking to a dude the other day who has random issues with DET and needs extra octane. Sleds *should* all be the same. What the difference is....no idea.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Try it with Ethanol mode and see if that helps, it adds more fuel which that pipe seems to like.

I believe ethanol mode is the only way to run the slp pipe. (Below 5k feet)
I’ve never seen a resistor actually work for longer than a couple days.
(Tried slp resistor 2 different types and aftermarket). All junk.

If you’re hitting det with a resistor there’s a good chance your resistor is shot.

My understanding of eth mode vs resistor.

Resistor when working correctly gives 5 ish percent more fuel across the board.

Eth mode is closer to 10% and timing retards over 8200 rpm.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Take the HPS can off and try it. We fought one for week after week changing several things, and this was with good fuel at 8-10,000 ft. Finally while out on a ride when it acted up we swapped cans on 2 sleds. Took off the HPS, put on an SLP. The problem moved from one sled to the other.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
Stock Pipe and HPS has same persistent Rev Limiter issue . Remove Can problem is removed with it !

I'm not saying it is for sure the Can but every post with a runnability problem is about 75% of the time a Aftermarket Silencer. IMO

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I was told by SLP to make sure that the pipe or can are NOT hitting/rubbing on any part of the bulkhead or structure. The "banging" of pipe can resonate back to the DET sensor and trip the sensor into thinking DET is going on in the engine.

I read about different aftermarket pipe MFGs and the stock pipe rubbing/hitting the cross bar on the MAG side and wearing slots into it. Take a look on your sleds to see if this is happening before replacing/changing anything.

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks everyone I will check it over and try the ethanol setting first than try a slp can

B
Dec 21, 2006
Unfortunately it’s because our fuel varies so much. My old m8 starting detonating because of poor fuel. It was from the same station, one week apart

A
My personal experience:
SLP pipe on Axys 800
Custom clutching
SLP Resistor
Ripped hard but the resistor failed after 400 miles like advised.
Installed local resistor.
It to failed quickly.
Ran ethanol mode and gave up a bit of performance in doing so so. Ran good but was more on the table for sure.
The resistors seem to not hold up to the longer durations at low elevation

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
What am I needing to check my resistor

If it hits hard det (limp mode) with it in remove it and run eth mode.

If the issue resolves itself then pitch the resistor.

(I think the resistor is a band aid that only works when everything is “perfect “)

M7SLEDHEAD

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Plato MN
SLP Pipe

Looking at a SLP pipe kit for my 16 Axys 163. I'm in MN and ride very little at home most of my riding is outwest. I would still like to ride the sled at home if we get some good snow but that doesn't happen very often.:face-icon-small-fro

What I'm gathering from this thread for the most part is to run 92 non-ethanol setting over 5k elevation and run 92 w/ethanol setting at low elevation and not use the resistor.

Thanks, Kyle

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Looking at a SLP pipe kit for my 16 Axys 163. I'm in MN and ride very little at home most of my riding is outwest. I would still like to ride the sled at home if we get some good snow but that doesn't happen very often.:face-icon-small-fro

What I'm gathering from this thread for the most part is to run 92 non-ethanol setting over 5k elevation and run 92 w/ethanol setting at low elevation and not use the resistor.

Thanks, Kyle
Yup, that's how I ran my 16. I heard the 17s had leaner mapping then the 16s which is why I threw the resister in my 17. I will run it without this winter and see how it does,I'm sure it will be fine.

Premium Features