For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Mountain/Deep Powder Riding at its best

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Currently: Not set.
albernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Colorado

Hi All,

Wisconsinite flatlander here that is planning to move out to Colorado this summer. I've certainly been addicted to trail riding in Wisconsin and had an 850 Indy snowchecked for this fall. Anyway, moving out west means I'll need to change my riding plans. I'm real excited to get into mountain riding from everything I've read on here and from what friend's have told me. I have a number of noob questions. I'll be moving out to Glenwood Springs, so it sounds like I'll be close to some good riding areas.
  • I'm guessing it makes sense to first buy a used sled instead of something new as I'll probably beat it up learning?
  • Any thoughts on summits vs. pro ride RMKs vs. axys RMKs?
  • What other kind of gear and stuff do I need to switch to?
  • What's the best way to find people to start riding with and learn from? I might have one connection through a friend, but hoping to find others that I can try and learn and improve from.

Thank you!

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to albernhagen For This Useful Post:
christopher (06-08-2018), Elkaholic4life (06-08-2018), Pro-8250 (06-09-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 01:38 PM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 14,855 Times in 7,051 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by albernhagen View Post
Hi All,

Wisconsinite flatlander here that is planning to move out to Colorado this summer. I've certainly been addicted to trail riding in Wisconsin and had an 850 Indy snowchecked for this fall. Anyway, moving out west means I'll need to change my riding plans. I'm real excited to get into mountain riding from everything I've read on here and from what friend's have told me. I have a number of noob questions. I'll be moving out to Glenwood Springs, so it sounds like I'll be close to some good riding areas.
  • I'm guessing it makes sense to first buy a used sled instead of something new as I'll probably beat it up learning?
  • What's the best way to find people to start riding with and learn from? I might have one connection through a friend, but hoping to find others that I can try and learn and improve from.

Thank you!
That ought to get you a few replies!

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christopher For This Useful Post:
Elkaholic4life (06-08-2018), GSPLewie (06-20-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:28 PM
Currently: Dont worry, be trashy
Thanked 3,618 Times in 2,400 Posts
Elkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by albernhagen View Post
Hi All,

Thank you!
Welcome aboard.

This is an awesome forum but I have to warn you, it's summer, so it slow. Don't get discouraged because there's not a bunch of people jumping in with there input. The Doo's have always felt goofy to me. I'm in no way putting them down! I own a 2013 pro rmk with a 36" front end and exit shocks all the way around. In February I bought a new 2018 axys. I like the way my old pro handles better. The axys has better power and is smoother. By this winter the axys will have some upgrades Start reading up on avalanche safety and the gear needed. There is a ton of info on this forum about that stuff. When the snow starts getting close this place will come alive. You shouldn't have a hard time finding people to ride with then. I know I've made some GREAT friends here

Good luck, Stay safe and ask questions

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elkaholic4life For This Useful Post:
DDECKER (06-11-2018), Pro-8250 (06-09-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Currently: TOO MANY PROJECTS!
joshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I'd see if your dealer will swap out your snow check for a mountain model? Aren't they about the same rediculous price anyway? Then you won't loose your snowcheck fee?
Be easier to transition riding styles on a platform your allready used to.

Use the gear you allready have, if you feel overheated and have a sore neck then make the decision to find something lighter.

Many people use motocross style helmets due to the weight factor (lighter). Some go the modular route with heated shields too.

It's a what works for you type of thing, start with what you have and go from there
Hope your Co experience turns out!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 06-08-2018, 11:22 PM
Basic Member
AZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond repute

Buy whatever sled you want. Has no bearing on going to CO compared to anywhere else out west.
In Glenwood, you're literally minutes from the Flattops, one of the best riding areas in CO. Just take the Transfer trail N out of town u til you run out of snow. Or you can get into other parts of the Flattops from Gypsum or Rifle.
Ride west out if town and you can take the long way into Grand Mesa or drive around to the West side of the Mesa.

Those are a couple of the 2 biggest riding areas in the state, and there's another handful of great areas that are big enough to get lost in within an hour.

Congrats on the move! Lived a half hour East of there for a few years in Gypsum. You'll be hard pressed to find, on average, any better riding anywhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to AZ800 For This Useful Post:
Pro-8250 (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Currently: Have fun while you can
Thanked 1,135 Times in 665 Posts
Pro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond reputePro-8250 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic4life View Post
Welcome aboard.

This is an awesome forum but I have to warn you, it's summer, so it slow. Don't get discouraged because there's not a bunch of people jumping in with there input. The Doo's have always felt goofy to me. I'm in no way putting them down! I own a 2013 pro rmk with a 36" front end and exit shocks all the way around. In February I bought a new 2018 axys. I like the way my old pro handles better. The axys has better power and is smoother. By this winter the axys will have some upgrades Start reading up on avalanche safety and the gear needed. There is a ton of info on this forum about that stuff. When the snow starts getting close this place will come alive. You shouldn't have a hard time finding people to ride with then. I know I've made some GREAT friends here

Good luck, Stay safe and ask questions
Elk sums it up very well.
Also take an avalanche class and join the local snowmobile club. You will not regret it. $.02

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 06-10-2018, 07:46 PM
albernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond reputealbernhagen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info, guys. I think I'm most worried about finding people to ride with that are willing to accept a newbie. I know that it's going to be starting over going from trails to mountain riding, but it's still going to be awesome. Any thoughts on used vs. new? I wouldn't mind having a good and reliable new sled, but I'm wondering if I'm going to beat up the sled some learning and if it's worth having something used for that reason?

Old 06-11-2018, 08:21 AM
Currently: Going for the Gophers now!
Thanked 1,135 Times in 812 Posts
DDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond reputeDDECKER has a reputation beyond repute

hey man! I wouldn't stress about finding people to ride with, there is a lot of good dudes on here willing to take out new guys. I would happily take you riding and help teach you how to ride and some avalanche safety stuff. As for the sled choices im simply not going to say much I understand your new to the mountain riding thing ...... So just let me know closer to winter and we will work something out

Old 06-11-2018, 12:51 PM
Thanked 1,085 Times in 618 Posts
SRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the sled goes.... If you were already snowchecking an indy 850, just ask your dealer to change your order to an RMK 850. More then likely Polaris hasnt built your sled yet and you could get your order changed.

Its going to be MUCH easier to learn how to ride in the mountains on a new machine and just because your new doesnt mean your going to wreck it. Just ease into it and do what your comfortable with.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Currently: Thrill Seeking
BrandonH has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonH has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonH has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonH has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonH has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonH has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonH has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonH has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonH has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonH has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonH has a reputation beyond repute
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandonH For This Useful Post:
summ8rmk (06-11-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:59 AM
capulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond reputecapulin overdrive has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 06-13-2018, 06:13 AM
Basic Member
Big10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Big10inch For This Useful Post:
Pro-8250 (06-17-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Basic Member
Lake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Powell For This Useful Post:
DDECKER (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Currently: Day dreaming of snow
jdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond reputejdog1 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 06-20-2018, 07:41 PM
Currently: I know, let's have a spelling contest
Thanked 1,447 Times in 838 Posts
AndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 06-25-2018, 12:38 PM

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to albernhagen For This Useful Post:
jdog1 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 01:55 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 06-30-2018, 09:11 PM
Currently: I know, let's have a spelling contest
Thanked 1,447 Times in 838 Posts
AndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond reputeAndrettiDog has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-01-2018, 09:49 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 07-02-2018, 08:32 AM

Click Here to Register

Old 07-10-2018, 03:44 PM
Basic Member
Kieper has a reputation beyond reputeKieper has a reputation beyond reputeKieper has a reputation beyond reputeKieper has a reputation beyond reputeKieper has a reputation beyond reputeKieper has a reputation beyond reputeKieper has a reputation beyond reputeKieper has a reputation beyond reputeKieper has a reputation beyond reputeKieper has a reputation beyond reputeKieper has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 07-10-2018, 07:40 PM
Basic Member
Big10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 09-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Basic Member
Lake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond reputeLake Powell has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register