Upgrade to Premium
Trucks and Trailers Towing and hauling your sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Currently: Not set.
whizzer182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blowing in the wind...

Looking for ideas, my backstory.

Have a 7x23 Legend trailer, all aluminum. We took it on the first poor weather trip that I had taken it on last winter, side wind blowing pretty hard on the way out and really hard on the way back, snow blowing across road on the way out, blizzard on the way home.

On the way out, had three sleds all loaded from the front, facing rearward to start. We made it about fifty miles and after almost being in the ditch twice we took it off my half ton and hooked it to my friend's diesel pickup. Went another fifty or so miles, he was getting blown all over. Stopped, waited out the storm for an hour and turned the sleds around, loaded from rear, facing front. This helped, trailer still blew around, but the wind had gone down, so it wasn't as bad.

On the way home, had it hooked to my half ton the whole way, sleds loaded from the rear. It was better than when they were loaded from the front but still blew around a lot. Weather was terrible though.

Any ideas on how to settle the thing down? Other than stay home when the wind is blowing, sway control bars? Should we be loading differently?

Thank you for any assistance.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 09-10-2018, 11:59 AM
Currently: patiently waiting on a patriot....
willjogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond repute

You may have done this, but it's extremely important to have the right drop reciever so the trailer is riding level. It makes a big difference how the trailer tows with a crosswind.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 09-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Coldfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure there is adequate tongue weight.

Also, there was another thread discussing the importance of tires which have more traction than the standard trailer tire.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfinger View Post
Make sure there is adequate tongue weight.

Also, there was another thread discussing the importance of tires which have more traction than the standard trailer tire.
I do think the tongue weight was part of my issue, as it did get better after we turned the sleds around. I also read through the tire thread, good ideas there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjogervais View Post
You may have done this, but it's extremely important to have the right drop reciever so the trailer is riding level. It makes a big difference how the trailer tows with a crosswind.
How level does the trailer need to be? Of course the squat of the pickup changes as it is loaded differently. As it is now, loaded, I would say there is a slight downward angle on the nose of the trailer.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Currently: Loving my BMP 860
Thanked 1,556 Times in 915 Posts
richracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzer182 View Post
I do think the tongue weight was part of my issue, as it did get better after we turned the sleds around. I also read through the tire thread, good ideas there.

How level does the trailer need to be? Of course the squat of the pickup changes as it is loaded differently. As it is now, loaded, I would say there is a slight downward angle on the nose of the trailer.

If you do not have an adjustable hitch, get one. Set the hitch height so that when loaded the trailer is as level as you can get. The levelness of multiple axle trailers is extremely important on how they tow. You want the load shared by all 4 or 6 tires. A trailer that is nose up or down will typically induce sway - you look like a snake going down the road. The faster you drive the more it will do this and also be susceptible to being blown by the wind. I'm taking off the 175/80R13 tires on my trailer and going with 195/65R15 95T snow tires to get more tire contact on the road.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to richracer1 For This Useful Post:
christopher (10-05-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richracer1 View Post
If you do not have an adjustable hitch, get one. Set the hitch height so that when loaded the trailer is as level as you can get. The levelness of multiple axle trailers is extremely important on how they tow. You want the load shared by all 4 or 6 tires. A trailer that is nose up or down will typically induce sway - you look like a snake going down the road. The faster you drive the more it will do this and also be susceptible to being blown by the wind. I'm taking off the 175/80R13 tires on my trailer and going with 195/65R15 95T snow tires to get more tire contact on the road.
Got an adjustable hitch, with tongue weight scale built it. Made a few test runs on a windy day. Was quite a bit better after I leveled it out. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to whizzer182 For This Useful Post:
christopher (10-05-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 10:52 PM
4GR8X has a reputation beyond repute4GR8X has a reputation beyond repute4GR8X has a reputation beyond repute4GR8X has a reputation beyond repute4GR8X has a reputation beyond repute4GR8X has a reputation beyond repute4GR8X has a reputation beyond repute4GR8X has a reputation beyond repute4GR8X has a reputation beyond repute4GR8X has a reputation beyond repute4GR8X has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings whizzer182,

Is your half ton a short or long wheel base?
Any idea how much your loaded truck and trailer weighed?
If not sure, looking back do you think you were overloaded?
Interesting your buddies 3/4 ton diesel was being pushed around, short or long wheel base?

Cheapest option to consider:

Verify, the tire pressure on your truck and trailer tires. Compare those numbers with the maximum tire pressure labeled on your truck and trailer tires. You maybe able to increase your tire pressure this will stiffen up the side walls of your truck and trailer tires. And minimize sway.

Spending your Fun $ now!

Consider equalizer bars. The bars are helpful I used them but more than likely not the complete fix.

Verify, the load rating on your truck and trailer tires. If your truck has stock tires I am guessing your half ton truck is equipped with load range C tires your trailer tires the same or less. An improvement would be to run 8 or 10 ply tires on your truck and trailer. There are several 14" trailer tire vendors who have 8 ply tires, available. If interested, I'll get the tire manufacture names for the 8 ply trailer tires that I have used. Others will chime in as well.

The sensation of loosing control of a vehicle is not pleasant.

The Following User Says Thank You to 4GR8X For This Useful Post:
christopher (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GR8X View Post
Greetings whizzer182,

Is your half ton a short or long wheel base?
Any idea how much your loaded truck and trailer weighed?
If not sure, looking back do you think you were overloaded?
Interesting your buddies 3/4 ton diesel was being pushed around, short or long wheel base?

Cheapest option to consider:

Verify, the tire pressure on your truck and trailer tires. Compare those numbers with the maximum tire pressure labeled on your truck and trailer tires. You maybe able to increase your tire pressure this will stiffen up the side walls of your truck and trailer tires. And minimize sway.

Spending your Fun $ now!

Consider equalizer bars. The bars are helpful I used them but more than likely not the complete fix.

Verify, the load rating on your truck and trailer tires. If your truck has stock tires I am guessing your half ton truck is equipped with load range C tires your trailer tires the same or less. An improvement would be to run 8 or 10 ply tires on your truck and trailer. There are several 14" trailer tire vendors who have 8 ply tires, available. If interested, I'll get the tire manufacture names for the 8 ply trailer tires that I have used. Others will chime in as well.

The sensation of loosing control of a vehicle is not pleasant.
We were beyond the sensation of losing control, we were in the other lane and on the shoulder more than once, fortunately there were never any other cars along the side of me when the trailer went sideways. We werenít going too fast either, 55-60 mph was the fastest I felt comfortable. Slower than that on the return trip.

My 1/2 ton is a short wheel base, 4 door, 5 1/2í Box, 2016 F150, 5.0. Trailer weighs 2,200# empty, plus three mountain sleds, luggage and gear. Maybe total trailer weight of 4,000-4,250#? Three guys in pickup, pickup box empty. Iím thinking that I wasnít overloaded, but did not weigh trailer tongue weight. The pickup was not squatting significantly. My buddies 3/4 ton is a 4 door 6 1/2í Box diesel Chevy, a 2016 or 2017.

Tires on my pickup are Cooper AT3, C load range, at the time I had door sill recommended pressure of 35 psi in them. Max load according to the sidewall is 45 psi, have since changed to that pressure. Trailer tires had recommended pressure, donít remember what that was off the top of my head.

Iím looking into putting studded snow tires on the trailer, my trailer has 15Ē wheels, so I do have a fair selection of different tires to choose from. I have yet to find a 8 or 10 ply in the correct size, but with the fairly light weight of the trailer, Iím not sure they are necessary.

Thank you for the ideas, I do appreciate the insight! Iím not scared of spending money to get this the best that I can, hitches and tires are cheaper than deductibles and hospital bills.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whizzer182 For This Useful Post:
4GR8X (10-06-2018), christopher (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 11:50 PM
Currently: Alpha Hawk!
Thanked 1,098 Times in 541 Posts
summ8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond reputesumm8rmk has a reputation beyond repute

Truck probably weighs 1,500lbs more than the trailer? That with a short wheel base and not enough tongue weight will make for a scary ride.

My buddy bought his first short bed crewcab 1ton last yr.
He noticed the same trailer he has been towing for 8yrs with crewcab long beds is pushing his truck around a little bit on snowy roads.

My GMC 3500 CC LB towing 7,000lbs feels better than my Chevy 1500 ext cab short bed towing 2,000 lbs.

My 1500 will tow 4,500lbs but i can feel it pushing the truck around on a dry rd without wind.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 10-05-2018, 06:54 AM
Reg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond reputeReg2view has a reputation beyond repute
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reg2view For This Useful Post:
christopher (10-05-2018), justinkredible56 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:18 AM
Currently: Loving my BMP 860
Thanked 1,556 Times in 915 Posts
richracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richracer1 For This Useful Post:
94fordguy (10-13-2018), christopher (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,013 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaynelson For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (10-10-2018), christopher (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:42 AM
GoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond reputeGoBigParts has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-05-2018, 11:06 AM
kbroderick has a reputation beyond reputekbroderick has a reputation beyond reputekbroderick has a reputation beyond reputekbroderick has a reputation beyond reputekbroderick has a reputation beyond reputekbroderick has a reputation beyond reputekbroderick has a reputation beyond reputekbroderick has a reputation beyond reputekbroderick has a reputation beyond reputekbroderick has a reputation beyond reputekbroderick has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-05-2018, 02:27 PM
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,013 Posts
Jaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond reputeJaynelson has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-05-2018, 03:08 PM
F7arcticcat has a reputation beyond reputeF7arcticcat has a reputation beyond reputeF7arcticcat has a reputation beyond reputeF7arcticcat has a reputation beyond reputeF7arcticcat has a reputation beyond reputeF7arcticcat has a reputation beyond reputeF7arcticcat has a reputation beyond reputeF7arcticcat has a reputation beyond reputeF7arcticcat has a reputation beyond reputeF7arcticcat has a reputation beyond reputeF7arcticcat has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Currently: 850 modder
revrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond reputerevrider07 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-05-2018, 09:37 PM
Thanked 1,113 Times in 635 Posts
SRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Currently: ND. Meatball Crew / Polaris Ambassador
FatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond reputeFatDogX has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-10-2018, 08:38 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Thanked 1,113 Times in 635 Posts
SRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond reputeSRXSRULE has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to SRXSRULE For This Useful Post:
94fordguy (10-13-2018)