Upgrade to Premium
Trucks and Trailers Towing and hauling your sleds

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 10:13 PM
Currently: Not set.
whizzer182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blowing in the wind...

Looking for ideas, my backstory.

Have a 7x23 Legend trailer, all aluminum. We took it on the first poor weather trip that I had taken it on last winter, side wind blowing pretty hard on the way out and really hard on the way back, snow blowing across road on the way out, blizzard on the way home.

On the way out, had three sleds all loaded from the front, facing rearward to start. We made it about fifty miles and after almost being in the ditch twice we took it off my half ton and hooked it to my friend's diesel pickup. Went another fifty or so miles, he was getting blown all over. Stopped, waited out the storm for an hour and turned the sleds around, loaded from rear, facing front. This helped, trailer still blew around, but the wind had gone down, so it wasn't as bad.

On the way home, had it hooked to my half ton the whole way, sleds loaded from the rear. It was better than when they were loaded from the front but still blew around a lot. Weather was terrible though.

Any ideas on how to settle the thing down? Other than stay home when the wind is blowing, sway control bars? Should we be loading differently?

Thank you for any assistance.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 09-10-2018, 11:59 AM
willjogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond reputewilljogervais has a reputation beyond repute

You may have done this, but it's extremely important to have the right drop reciever so the trailer is riding level. It makes a big difference how the trailer tows with a crosswind.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 09-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Coldfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond reputeColdfinger has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure there is adequate tongue weight.

Also, there was another thread discussing the importance of tires which have more traction than the standard trailer tire.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:42 AM
whizzer182 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfinger View Post
Make sure there is adequate tongue weight.

Also, there was another thread discussing the importance of tires which have more traction than the standard trailer tire.
I do think the tongue weight was part of my issue, as it did get better after we turned the sleds around. I also read through the tire thread, good ideas there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjogervais View Post
You may have done this, but it's extremely important to have the right drop reciever so the trailer is riding level. It makes a big difference how the trailer tows with a crosswind.
How level does the trailer need to be? Of course the squat of the pickup changes as it is loaded differently. As it is now, loaded, I would say there is a slight downward angle on the nose of the trailer.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Currently: Loving my BMP 860
Thanked 1,537 Times in 905 Posts
richracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond reputerichracer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzer182 View Post
I do think the tongue weight was part of my issue, as it did get better after we turned the sleds around. I also read through the tire thread, good ideas there.

How level does the trailer need to be? Of course the squat of the pickup changes as it is loaded differently. As it is now, loaded, I would say there is a slight downward angle on the nose of the trailer.

If you do not have an adjustable hitch, get one. Set the hitch height so that when loaded the trailer is as level as you can get. The levelness of multiple axle trailers is extremely important on how they tow. You want the load shared by all 4 or 6 tires. A trailer that is nose up or down will typically induce sway - you look like a snake going down the road. The faster you drive the more it will do this and also be susceptible to being blown by the wind. I'm taking off the 175/80R13 tires on my trailer and going with 195/65R15 95T snow tires to get more tire contact on the road.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No