• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gates belt vs polaris

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Anyone running a gates kevlar or carbon fiber belt as a spare? I’m tempted to order one versus another polaris #3211183.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I would use Gates as primary. Polaris as back up. Don’t fold the Gates. It’s a couple hundred rpm pick up when you put it on.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Gates carbon = Primary
Polaris = Spare

As mentioned, dont fold the gates belt in half, and try real hard to break it in correctly. I like to get 3 heat cycles in a new belt before putting full load on it.

Buy 2 new belts, go for an easy ride and swap them out every 10 minutes. Basically all you need to do is get the belt fully up to operating temp, and allow it to cool down, then repeat.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
u lost me on the bending in half part. Who folds them in half to store them amd why would u even do that? Im not sure ill swap every 10 mins but break in heat cyles, stop and let it cool down yes.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I think they are talking about how you carry your spare on the machine!! On my modded PRO they are basically folded in half in the spare belt carrier and this can cause some problem if you carry a new Gates carbon in there, so I have a different method for that and I also only carry a POO belt for a spare if I have one, so that is not a problem in my case. I had two and one half years and about 2200 miles on my last Gates carbon when it blew some of the inside edge parts out of it and put the poo spare on for about 200 miles until my order of 3 new Gates came in (from Dobeck) and then finished last season on the new Gates. As was said above, break in is paramount. I have run the Gates belts for last 7 years with no problems or complaints at all and we have 5 Polaris from 07-700 Dragon 155 up to new 18 axys and all of the 4- 163's are 800's. suggestion here-- Start the machine and bring the sled up to temp and with sled raised --cycle the clutches, belt and track up in speed over the off season! I do this at least twice during the summer months.
gtwitch in wyoming

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Normally I would just vary throttle 3/4 and under for 10-15 then let it cool a few times. First 3 hours pretty relaxed and variable in throttle and after that its go time.

I run mine for a min or 2 every week or so right now. Is there any other method with the gates belt I should do?

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Got it last night.. good looking belt.. so u guys think I should swap it out and replace the oem belt even though is the latest and greatest polaris belt?

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
45C4553 is the carbon gates belt for my 18 rmk 800 163.. 45G4553 is the kevlar.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Yes 45C4553 is the Carbon belt for the Axys prormk

https://www.gobigparts.com/GATES-G-FORCE-C12-CARBON-DRIVE-BELT.html
dac3188526b40cf580b5875a000efba8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
When the Gates belt blows we usually find the clutch has worn out. We see much more clutch wear on the Axys compared to the ProRide. Not sure if there is some weird harmonic or if the option of running the SLP pipe/can that provides high RPM is associated. Not trying to change the subject but throwing it out there to have guys question why they might need a belt in the first place.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I had pretty good luck with the gates belts. They seem to last not quite as long as the OEM belts. But at around half the price, i get more $/mile out of them for sure. They also seem to be more stable in RPM where the OEM polaris ones heat soak/fade worse on hard pulls.

Also when they go they just explode and dont have the stupid cords to get tied up in your clutches.

Premium Features