• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Will cats magnetic teather work?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
It will work, but only for the 20% of guys who actually wear them. 80% will still be hooked to the riser.

These numbers gained from an online survey we did a couple years ago.

We see a need for the cordless tether, not because the corded don't work, it is because most guys hate to use them.

Chris

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
Yeah I don't put on till off trail but don't feel safe with out it on. Have always used polaris one but have had few freeze up in winter and not work so I'm looking for a better idea than get in woods and factory one is making sled cut out so have to disconnect again

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm sold on tethers. I've seen what happens when they are not used.

My only problem is with my cordless teth-air...when it randomly cuts out at intermittent and strange times. Sled totally shuts off. Usually starts right back up again though.
Yes, my antennae is right at the throttle, fresh batteries, the wristband is not buried under my sleeve.
I got stuck once during the 16-17 season on a climb in steep timber because the teth-air shot me down. Was a BAD stick and a rough situation with dangerous terrain below me. I disconnected it right on the spot and haven't used it since.

Otherwise it's GREAT!!!! And I mean that sincerely.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Its hard, you really got to get people trained up on them. I make the stock POO tether cord into a loop on the end and have it hooked on my throttle hand wrist from the second i head down the trail until I get home. Ive run myself over SOOO many times. and even with traditional tethers just hooked to your jacket you can easily be under your track and it not pulled. Ask me how I know.

With them wrapped like that it helps eat up some extra length as well, this way it stays short and tight to my wrist so its behind the bars and doesnt snag branches but can also pull with ease if need be.

As for the cat one, right now its more finding out if its a normally open switch (like cat has been using) if so then you should be good to go.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I'm sold on tethers. I've seen what happens when they are not used.

My only problem is with my cordless teth-air...when it randomly cuts out at intermittent and strange times. Sled totally shuts off. Usually starts right back up again though.
Yes, my antennae is right at the throttle, fresh batteries, the wristband is not buried under my sleeve.
I got stuck once during the 16-17 season on a climb in steep timber because the teth-air shot me down. Was a BAD stick and a rough situation with dangerous terrain below me. I disconnected it right on the spot and haven't used it since.

Otherwise it's GREAT!!!! And I mean that sincerely.

We stand behind our products. If you have a unit that is experiencing some interference or other, we will repair/replace or upgrade you to a Phantom Teth-Air. Send me a PM and we will make it right.

Chris

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Its hard, you really got to get people trained up on them. I make the stock POO tether cord into a loop on the end and have it hooked on my throttle hand wrist from the second i head down the trail until I get home. Ive run myself over SOOO many times. and even with traditional tethers just hooked to your jacket you can easily be under your track and it not pulled. Ask me how I know.

With them wrapped like that it helps eat up some extra length as well, this way it stays short and tight to my wrist so its behind the bars and doesnt snag branches but can also pull with ease if need be.

As for the cat one, right now its more finding out if its a normally open switch (like cat has been using) if so then you should be good to go.

^^ this I also put it around the handle bar when I get off. most times on the throttle side but around the brake side when I lock it to remind me to not waste a belt over a locked brake.
I do have a 2019 mt cat sitting in the shop right now and the cord is a lot shorter this year.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
We stand behind our products. If you have a unit that is experiencing some interference or other, we will repair/replace or upgrade you to a Phantom Teth-Air. Send me a PM and we will make it right.

Chris

Chris, I really appreciate that.
IT WASN'T what I'm after though. Seriously..
I figured I set it up wrong and just needed to figure it out. I just haven't gotten around to meeting with it. I really do like the product.

I'll send you a PM.

Scott

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
An interesting thing about a magnetic tether. Our first project on a tether was to make it easier to use. We attached a magnet to our sled jackets and another to the loose end of a standard corded tether. This way there was no hook to attach when taking off our gloves wasn't ideal, when riding in a blizzard for example. It worked pretty well but we needed really strong magnets that would not break apart before pulling the cord off the switch. It was nice just to bring both magnets near each other and they would hook up automatically. Pulling apart was easy enough too, just a little harder than pulling the cord off the switch. We abandoned the idea when it became a nuisance due to the magnet sticking to every steel surface we brushed by such as when climbing into the truck. Ideally we should have had the magnetic coupling just in the center of the cord so we unclipped and left the magnet with the machine after riding.

I would still like to see this on the market.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
An interesting thing about a magnetic tether. Our first project on a tether was to make it easier to use. We attached a magnet to our sled jackets and another to the loose end of a standard corded tether. This way there was no hook to attach when taking off our gloves wasn't ideal, when riding in a blizzard for example. It worked pretty well but we needed really strong magnets that would not break apart before pulling the cord off the switch. It was nice just to bring both magnets near each other and they would hook up automatically. Pulling apart was easy enough too, just a little harder than pulling the cord off the switch. We abandoned the idea when it became a nuisance due to the magnet sticking to every steel surface we brushed by such as when climbing into the truck. Ideally we should have had the magnetic coupling just in the center of the cord so we unclipped and left the magnet with the machine after riding.

I would still like to see this on the market.
I may be wrong,
I believe the cat tether is a magnetic switch vs a plunger or physical button, not held on by the magnet.
Brilliant idea, a sealed unit will never have snow/ice issues!

Attached pic. Looks like tabs on the tether lock on to the sled.
Looks like they may break easily?

Someone here with in depth knowledge?
e33a7d3d491d11088402b26b1d14c311.jpg

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
This is super cool, if it works like it should and the cap prongs are plenty strong this will be an awesome upgrade. The cheesy little red cap ones of the past are so voulnerable to failure. Also the amount of times ive had water freeze inside the body causing them not to shut the sled down... garbage.

Kiliki, can you verify the wiring is the same as the old style ones? Just 2 pin connector under the right side of the dash? Better yet see if the wiring is normally open (not connected between wires) and closed(connected) when the tether is pulled?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I may be wrong,
I believe the cat tether is a magnetic switch vs a plunger or physical button, not held on by the magnet.
Brilliant idea, a sealed unit will never have snow/ice issues!

Attached pic. Looks like tabs on the tether lock on to the sled.
Looks like they may break easily?

Someone here with in depth knowledge?
e33a7d3d491d11088402b26b1d14c311.jpg

Yes you are correct, that I thought was clearly understood by most at this point. I was just mentioning a magnet at the other end would be cool too.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
This is super cool, if it works like it should and the cap prongs are plenty strong this will be an awesome upgrade. The cheesy little red cap ones of the past are so voulnerable to failure. Also the amount of times ive had water freeze inside the body causing them not to shut the sled down... garbage.

Kiliki, can you verify the wiring is the same as the old style ones? Just 2 pin connector under the right side of the dash? Better yet see if the wiring is normally open (not connected between wires) and closed(connected) when the tether is pulled?

Only downside I can see is that once tossed off the sled you will have to dig the snow out of it with a bare finger to reattach it.

It is 2 wires and they run down and plug in right by the chaincase. (unless they have changed things for 2019)

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
they plug in right at the base of the tether, all other wiring is part of the main harness. It is open with the cap on and closed with the cap off. this is good and bad. you can just unplug it if you have problems with it but no supervised loop will not let you know when it doesn't work or has a broken wire.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
they plug in right at the base of the tether, all other wiring is part of the main harness. It is open with the cap on and closed with the cap off. this is good and bad. you can just unplug it if you have problems with it but no supervised loop will not let you know when it doesn't work.
Off topic, but u have physical contact with 2019s.
Did they fix the big gap in the intakes by the goggle bag?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
the biggest problem you Poo guys are going to have is the attachment plug for the wiring harness. unless someone is willing to make adapter plugs...3.2.1 go!
all the wiring to it is part of the main harness with no sections and the plug contacts are small and inset to the back of the tether

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
the biggest problem you Poo guys are going to have is the attachment plug for the wiring harness. unless someone is willing to make adapter plugs...3.2.1 go!
all the wiring to it is part of the main harness with no sections and the plug contacts are small and inset to the back of the tether

Can you post a pic ?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I was waiting to see how the Teth-air progressed. I haven't kept up but read a thread a few years back where one of the cons of the Teth-air was that it wouldn't stop the track from chewing up a guy who was in proximity of the Teth-air. I'm curious if that is a myth or if it had been changed.

Premium Features