• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

enclosed trailer tips

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Anyone know whymy 12 v brake battery only reads 7 volts on my meter?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Late reply.... but just in case you haven’t figured out the issue yet, I have come across quite a few trailers that were wired in a way that the breakaway battery only charged while the trailer brakes were actually applied. Seems odd to me, but I guess the battery is only needed for a few seconds when things go bad. Just hope that it’s not early in a trip and you have been on the brakes lots... :face-icon-small-con

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
Suburban Furnace SF-30

I have a suburban SF-30 furnace(not SFV-30), I have seen what appears to be a few SF-30 furnaces mounted vertically instead of horizontally. Some say the SF-30 has to be mounted horizontally, the SFV(vertical)-30 and SF-30 look identical as best I can tell. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? Is it just a mounting kit or what else? I tested mine with propane hooked up both horizontally and vertically and it worked great in both positions. The online manual doesn't state it has to be mounted horizontally. Can anyone tell me what the difference is and if they have actually used it mounted vertically without problems.

R
Sep 23, 2019
"another is use tread mill belts to cover the gaps when the doors are openI hold them down with 2" aluminum strips keeps the snow out or at least its easy to remove." Good thing been reading threads here as I will use this idea! Thanks for not being greedy.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
"another is use tread mill belts to cover the gaps when the doors are openI hold them down with 2" aluminum strips keeps the snow out or at least its easy to remove." Good thing been reading threads here as I will use this idea! Thanks for not being greedy.

How are you accommodating the belting when the door closes up? I have a treadmill belt ready to install. Do you screw it down far enough from the gap that it has room to bubble up when closed?

K
Nov 21, 2016
Cody, WY
Not a big poster on here but thought I would share my upgrade to a larger trailer. I went from a 6X12 to a 7X16. It has barn doors so I had to come up with a ramp idea without getting to expensive. A simple reinforced 3/4" plyboard on hinges did the trick nicely. I removed all the interior wood and insulated the walls and ceiling. I then installed one of those cheap Chinese diesel heaters, battery and solar charger system. I have some small things to tie up yet but this is a major upgrade to what I had in the past.

20200817_103622.jpg

20200823_101202.jpg

20200824_221126.jpg

20200911_172436.jpg

20200911_172356.jpg

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Not a big poster on here but thought I would share my upgrade to a larger trailer. I went from a 6X12 to a 7X16. It has barn doors so I had to come up with a ramp idea without getting to expensive. A simple reinforced 3/4" plyboard on hinges did the trick nicely. I removed all the interior wood and insulated the walls and ceiling. I then installed one of those cheap Chinese diesel heaters, battery and solar charger system. I have some small things to tie up yet but this is a major upgrade to what I had in the past.

View attachment 356482

View attachment 356483

View attachment 356484

View attachment 356485

View attachment 356486

So have you tried the diesel heater out yet???

It would be interesting to see your solar charging set up too.

K
Nov 21, 2016
Cody, WY
I have only done a few test runs with this heater and so far it has been running good. I am hoping for some colder weather to give it good run and see. I just ran a simple coleman 18 watt solar setup I bought. My overall hope is that this will work to take the chill off when getting ready and when we get back.

20201003_123122.jpg

20201003_123142.jpg

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
what did you do for running the exhaust through the floor?
Did you just cut a hole a bit bigger than the exhaust pipe? or use some sort of flange?

K
Nov 21, 2016
Cody, WY
Sorry for late response, @FatDogX I have had a chance to get out three different days and try this setup out. So far I am very impressed with how everything is working. Heater is keeping the trailer warm and mostly getting the sleds thawed out by the time we get home. As the season gets colder here we will see how things change but so far everything is working well. Fuel use seems to be pretty good, I have been figuring based on the specs about a 1/2 gal use so far for 10 hours of constant run time with a 1 gal. capacity tank.

20201129_142707.jpg

20201115_094920.jpg

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Mounted the spare tires to the wall, out of the way and always in place. Then fabbed up and installed these treadbrite shelving units to keep supplies organized.

IMG_0619.jpeg IMG_0620.jpeg

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
in my 7x21 v nose trailer i mounted two of those diesel heaters on top of a 8 inch deep steel cabinet. the exhaust goes down into the cabinet then out the wall through a stainless exhaust flange thats made for that purpose. i mounted the battery inside of the cabinet, and made a cover over the exhaust pipes with perforated metal that i got from menards. The heaters face away from each other and the cabinet is mounted on the side wall about in the middle of the trailer. one heater blows towards a coat rack that we dry gloves goggles and helments on. my ceiling isnt finished off yet and i can still keep the trailer 70 when its below zero if i have the heaters cranked up. I want to put a solar panel on the trailer but ive been using a little westinghouse generator and have a through wall plug in thats a noco brand, that also goes to the inside of the cabinet. it makes for a clean looking setup and 2 gallons of diesel lasts all day.

Premium Features