Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: EDGE 2002-2005, all models in the Edge chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2018, 11:51 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
The Grand Pooh-Bah is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Teal Green Chaincase Lube????

Just brought home a 2004 RMK 800 and after removing the mufflers I was able to access the chaincase dip stick. Much to my surprise the lube is teal green. Never seen that color before.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-17-2018, 12:47 AM
Currently: I'd rather snowshoe than be caught on a SKIDOO! I'm not feminine / gay enough to ride SkiDoo either.
Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,116 Posts
LoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond repute

That was actually common in those days. The Polaris synthetic was Purple and the Polaris Dino was a green. The synthetic would boil off / evaporate with prolonged high speed use (read; Iron Dog) so most of us that rode hard and were in the "Know" used the green Dino version instead.

Still have a jug of it here if you want it. I'm all belt drives these days. : )

Old 03-17-2018, 01:33 AM
Basic Member
The Grand Pooh-Bah is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a huge relief! I though something was seriously wrong. Is it still available? My search for Polaris Dino came up empty.

I'd be glad to help clear some of your shelf space. What size jug do you have?

Old 03-17-2018, 01:48 AM
Currently: I'd rather snowshoe than be caught on a SKIDOO! I'm not feminine / gay enough to ride SkiDoo either.
Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,116 Posts
LoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Pooh-Bah View Post
That is a huge relief! I though something was seriously wrong. Is it still available? My search for Polaris Dino came up empty.

I'd be glad to help clear some of your shelf space. What size jug do you have?
They are 1 Gallon with the dealer style 1 OZ per stroke pumps installed. I found the Purple synthetic jug (estimating half full), I'll need to look a little harder for the other one.

It isn't actually called Dino, that's just slang to differentiate it from the synthetic or blended versions. FWIW

Old 04-02-2018, 07:59 PM
whoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond repute

I like 5W-20W motor oil myself. Money in the bank.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:38 PM
Currently: Meadow Muffin
Thanked 1,255 Times in 702 Posts
89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute89sandman has a reputation beyond repute

You can run all different types of lube in a chaincase. I've seen atf, gear lube, motor oil, hoist oil. It's just gears and a chain/tensioner that needs to be lubed to keep from binding and overheating.