For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
GPS enabled devices GPS Maps, Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT, ect

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
NWPOWDERBUM has a reputation beyond reputeNWPOWDERBUM has a reputation beyond reputeNWPOWDERBUM has a reputation beyond reputeNWPOWDERBUM has a reputation beyond reputeNWPOWDERBUM has a reputation beyond reputeNWPOWDERBUM has a reputation beyond reputeNWPOWDERBUM has a reputation beyond reputeNWPOWDERBUM has a reputation beyond reputeNWPOWDERBUM has a reputation beyond reputeNWPOWDERBUM has a reputation beyond reputeNWPOWDERBUM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Multi-purpose sat phone

I'm new to the satellite phone world but with a recent event I have decided it's something worth buying. Are there options for communication radios that also have GPS and satellite capabilities or would I need to buy two devices (ie bca link and a separate sat phone)?

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-21-2018, 07:44 PM
Currently: Great season with friends this year!
Thanked 1,120 Times in 579 Posts
Matte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond reputeMatte Murder has a reputation beyond repute

2 devices.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:10 AM
Currently: Busy procrastinating
bailer has a reputation beyond reputebailer has a reputation beyond reputebailer has a reputation beyond reputebailer has a reputation beyond reputebailer has a reputation beyond reputebailer has a reputation beyond reputebailer has a reputation beyond reputebailer has a reputation beyond reputebailer has a reputation beyond reputebailer has a reputation beyond reputebailer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPOWDERBUM View Post
I'm new to the satellite phone world but with a recent event I have decided it's something worth buying. Are there options for communication radios that also have GPS and satellite capabilities or would I need to buy two devices (ie bca link and a separate sat phone)?

Check out the Garmin Inreach communicators.
They are satellite based and provide reliable coverage. Not a phone, but allow you to text anybody for non emergency stuff, and have a 911 button to get emergency services coming if needed.

The Inreach Explorer model has gps maps as well. I use the more basic SE model with just satellite because I like to keep my gps separate from the emergency device.

I have heard some of the search and rescue guys say Sat phones are more fickle as far as coverage goes. I think you would also need to know the local emergency numbers which isn’t necessary with the Inreach, they take care of all that.

Last edited by bailer; 03-30-2018 at 12:13 AM.