Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: Pro-Ride 2010 and up, all models in the Pro-Ride chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2018, 07:39 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Packer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PRO800 RMK TUNNEL RIVETS

Quick question, what are the rivets that are used to fasten the tunnel side to the top part of the tunnel? They don't seem to be a standard pop rivet. Any info or a link to them would be awesome.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 AM
Currently: Getting the R6 snowbike ready......
Thanked 1,408 Times in 881 Posts
Sheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer View Post
Quick question, what are the rivets that are used to fasten the tunnel side to the top part of the tunnel? They don't seem to be a standard pop rivet. Any info or a link to them would be awesome.
They are a piercing hard rivet.
You need a large machine to install them. ($$)

http://www.valleyfastener.com/self-piercing-rivets.html

25000 minimum quantities. Lol

An $80 air riveter and ss pop rivets is a good replacement you can use.

Last edited by Sheetmetalfab; 03-21-2018 at 10:09 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-22-2018, 10:10 AM
Basic Member

Thanks, I took the side off my RMK to repair it. I haven't seen rivets like those before and they drilled out very hard. I'll go with your recommendation. Thanks for the info!

Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 AM
Currently: Getting the R6 snowbike ready......
Thanked 1,408 Times in 881 Posts
Sheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks, I took the side off my RMK to repair it. I haven't seen rivets like those before and they drilled out very hard. I'll go with your recommendation. Thanks for the info!
Grind the backside flush, then pop the center out with an air chisel from the back.

Drilling them sucks bigtime.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:57 PM
Currently: I'd rather snowshoe than be caught on a SKIDOO! I'm not feminine / gay enough to ride SkiDoo either.
Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,116 Posts
LoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond reputeLoudHandle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You'll likely regret it if you choose to use SS pop rivets. They will loosen and you'll end up with a sled that flexes like an Arctic Cat and / or SkiDoo. SS pop rivets; while a pain to drill out as well, are nearly as weak as the garbage hardware store steel or aluminum pop rivets. Your best bet is buying the tried and true Polaris Chassis Pop rivets. I use the Lords / Fusor Acrylic adhesive as well.

But then I'm probably far more particular than the average Joe Schmoe.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Bushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond reputeBushwacker1 has a reputation beyond repute

This rivet from Mcmaster look to be the same as the high strength ones that Polaris uses. This may be an option you may want to try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	294707  

Old 03-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Basic Member

Thanks for the options and other rivet possibilities. I was thinking of using the adhesive along with the rivets since I need the adhesive for the small aluminum bracket behind the drive clutch.

I was also thinking about solid rivets. Looks like they use them on air craft. Not familiar with them, doesn't look like they get tighter as you use them. Looks like they just hold something together. Any input on those?

Also, what do you guys think of using a pan head bolt with loctite and maybe a nylon nut? I think there would be enough room for clearance on the inside and it shouldn't loosen over time.