For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Yamaha: 2-stroke Includes all Yamaha 2-strokes, Viper, Mountain Max, etc

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Currently: old iron
hunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond repute
Default 85 phazer burndown

Anyone ever see both sides go down because of the pulse line from the engine to the fuel pump came off the engine end?

Last edited by hunterdon; 01-23-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: add photo

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-26-2018, 04:07 PM
Currently: Dreaming of hunting
K3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond repute

When you say burn down- holes in pistons Or
Fuel fire or no fuel leaned out???

Old 01-27-2018, 10:45 AM
hunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond reputehunterdon has a reputation beyond repute

Hole in pto piston, broken ring land in mag piston, severe heat but no seizure, evidence of plenty of oil still on crankshaft and in bottom end. They were riding double on a warmish day and sled was working hard. Cooling belt is fine, carbs are clean. I cannot upload photo for some reason. Thanks for reply.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:58 AM

Ok - used photosync to upload
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0185.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	292199  

Old 01-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Currently: Not set.
Givemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond reputeGivemeaboost has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like it was plenty lean. I would check the roundness of the cylinders before going any further. Is the head warped too ? On a fan cooled sled you should be able to tell when they're getting hot. When they start to smell hot and lose power it's time to cool them down.

Ken.............

The Following User Says Thank You to Givemeaboost For This Useful Post:
hunterdon (01-27-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 12:00 PM

Ok - got it rebuilt - oversize bore. This sled had an Aaen single race pipe on it. I still had a stock pipe in my collection of phazer stuff so I put that on. The carbs had been drilled out for pipe use to richen the midrange so it will be way fat with the stock pipe. The sled had lots of miles with the pipe and zero issues until this meltdown. The only strange thing I found was the pulse line was off. The pulse line was really hard and brittle.
After a couple more heat cycles in the shop I will see how she does on the snow. Cheers.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to hunterdon For This Useful Post:
K3 (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 02:06 PM
K3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond reputeK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it worked out for you all, just replaced vac line on one of mine pin hole crack by fuel pump wouldn't allow high rpm bogging thought it was fuel pump diaphragm, glad it didn't do like you!! I have another mt. Lite with pin hole piston clutch side also, how much was parts for ya @ ??? Hopefully. just piston & rings ect. we'll see when open up??? Thanx Kory

Old 01-29-2018, 12:35 PM

Parts were about $300.00. Oversize pistons and rings, gaskets, wrist pins and bearings, clips. Sled is running great.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunterdon For This Useful Post:
clamlake600 (02-01-2018), K3 (01-29-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 05:14 PM
Currently: Not set
retiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond repute

I can see that happening because basically they were riding it with very little fuel in float bowls due to the fuel pump not pumping gas so it would have been lean as heck. I had a dealer leave off the impulse line when they rebuilt a Phazer 2 and it would run until the float bowls emptied out. When it sat for a bit the bowls would fill back up again due to gravity flow through fuel pump so it would go again. Luckily I found it about the second time it quit. If they were riding it slow enough the gravity flow into the float bowls may have been just enough to stop it from quitting altogether until the meltdown occurred. I put on an Aaen quiet pipe and did the nozzle mod for the midrange after that and put on 7000 Km without a bit of trouble before we sold it.

Haven't outgrown my 600 yet!

The Following User Says Thank You to retiredpop For This Useful Post:
K3 (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:28 PM