For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: EDGE 2002-2005, all models in the Edge chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Currently: Not set.
BeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond repute
Default New user - 02 600 RMK

Hello all, just figured since I'm new I'd introduce myself. I'm Montana-born and raised: I went to college in Billings, spent ten years in the Navy flying airplanes, then moved back last year and currently work in the Air Force reserve. I got into snowmobiling about ten years ago when a friend gave me an old 440 fan Indy, but most of my experience is from my tour in NW Washington riding Mt Baker when I could. My riding has been pretty limited other than those three years and last winter, so I definitely consider myself a novice.

Washington is where I bought my current sled. It's a 600 RMK 136, now at 3700 miles, which I've been gradually upgrading. Nothing major so far; Boyesen reeds, Holtzmann ATACC, and a Cobra windshield are the most significant additions. Most significant downgrade was an SLP can; too little power/weight difference to be worth riding with earplugs, I went back to OEM. Has a new primary (long story) and rebuilt secondary clutch, to which I plan to add adjustable weights. Even with the clutch work, new springs and weights matching the service manual recommended setup, it over-revs (around 8400 peak). I'm leaning towards SLP Magnum Force weights and more tuning to fix that. Other upgrades coming include a 144 track from an '03 800 that I picked up recently (the original skid and track I plan to use for a project, another Indy trail I have), some Powder Pro skis, and a full set of Ryde FX clicker shocks I’ve been able to scrounge.

Obviously, I really like the sled. The 600 has been dead-reliable, it's never broken on me - despite some newbie attempts to break it - and the power is plenty for my riding ability. My goal is to maximize the deep snow and mountain ability without running out of power or making it difficult to handle in the backwoods and trails, so I'm hoping the 144 is the sweet spot for that. Basically, I'm looking to turn it into a tricked-out all-rounder. I may end up buying a newer sled when my abilities out-grow this one and/or I have money to burn, but I can't imagine parting with it.

Anyway, I’m sure that's plenty about me. I've got no burning "how do I" questions at the moment, but I'm happy to hear any "you might wanna" suggestions on my sled!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 11-03-2017, 12:14 AM
Basic Member
AZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond repute

144 is a good addition. I'd port the crap out of the track. 3-5 holes across to lighten it up and spin easier.
Gear it down and get a reccomended proven clutch setup for your gearing and altitude.
Ice scratchers, handlebar risers, hot pocket cooker and let er rip.
Pull the sway bar and narrow up the skis stance to help side hilling.

And make sure it's jetted for where you ride too.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ800 For This Useful Post:
volcano buster (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 02:56 PM
BeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond reputeBeartoothBaron has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response. I've done some jetting on it last season, and with the ATACC I should be able to leave the base at 4000' (where I live) and be covered as high up as I'm likely to get. I think some adjustable weights, and possibly a spring change, will get the clutching dialed in.

With regard to porting the track, is there a good DIY writeup on that? I've got a good drill motor and several sizes of hole saws - guessing I have all the tools I'd need, but I don't want to screw it up or overdo it. That said, it's an original track (4700 miles, but no tears or lugs missing), there's a decent chance I'll be upgrading it down the road, so it doesn't have to last forever...

Old 11-04-2017, 06:15 PM
whoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond repute

Although you obviously sound real excited about upgrading a 136" track to a 144, 144's are still not "powder" sleds. They are glorified heavy trail sleds and can only handle up to about 18" of powder. Which is completely inadequate. for 30" of powder or more, you need a real powder sled. Powder sleds are 151" x 2" lugs, 159" x 2" in the edge series. Going with a camoplast extreme track with 3 lugs across, is a significant upgrade from the 4 lug across Polaris tracks. You gave a long list of upgrades that amounts to a lot of money to put into a 136" x probably 1/1/2" lug track. Your money would be much better spent by finding an 02, 03, 04 or 05 800cc Edge x 2" lug x 151" track or longer. Both a 151" track and a 159" track fit on the exact same sled, so you can upgrade to a 159", if you buy a 151". Which can be had for $2500 or less. ATACC goes bad after 2 years. Mine did anyways. For an 800cc sled, you don't really need to use more than one main jet settings, unless you get above 8000 feet, which a 600 cc sled in going to have great difficulty in doing anyways. The extra HP in an 800cc sled is not a big deal. You will quickly adjust. Don't underestimate yourself. You only need to put about (8) - 1" diameter holes in a track to empty out most of the snow. By putting 3 holes across, you seriously weaken the track and can cause it to tear.

If you are in Washington or Oregon, I have an extra 800cc sled with a new top end (148 psi compression) that I should probably sell because I just bought another fixer upper sled and don't need 2 spares. Mint condition 02 Snow Check Special 800cc Edge 151" x 2" track, with an extra used 159" x 2" lug track loose, that you can put on when you get motivated. $2200 Everything is stock, except the rear/rear shock is an upgrade and the air horns are loose. Main jets at 400. Needles at #2. New belt. $50 extra for spare belt. Lots of recently new bearings. Then you will have a real powder sled, and don't have to try to build something that will never get you what you are looking for.

Last edited by whoisthatguy; 11-04-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:47 AM

I'm not, at the moment, looking for anything all-out, just to trick out what I've got. You're right that a 144 isn't going to make it a big powder sled, but by the time I part out the rest of the sled the pieces are coming from, that part will be practically free. I plan to keep this sled as a general purpose sled with some mountain ability; when I need something more, I'll probably be looking more towards a Pro-RMK or similar. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:51 AM
gonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond reputegonehuntnpowder has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be too worried about too much track on that 600. Knew a few people who who did 159 tracks on 660 big bored edges. Very impressive. As I remember sno west built around that vintage as a project sled.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Flying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond repute

Well, in the old days we would try anything to get the sled moving better. Porting tracks was simple and cost nothing.
Here's a stock Polaris track with a couple holes per pitch. You could get away with 3 but no more. Don't cut holes on the outside edge, keep them between the hifax. Also keep them in a straight line, don't stagger them. Remember tracks are made with strings/fibers that run length wise. Staggering the holes will cut every string and weaken the track. In this case after a couple years, the track was still in the great shape.
As for the cutting tool, I used a 1-1/4" holesaw. Grind off the teeth, and bevel the INSIDE leaving you with a sharp cutting edge. Leave the outer edge straight. The inside bevel will keep the hole edges square instead of puckering. Once warmed up, it will cut through like butter.
Make a little wood template to lay in between the track paddles. Drill a small 1/4" as a pilot to keep them all lined up. Then go back later with the hole saw.
As for swapping in a 144, that too is a good improvement over the 136. If you're getting these parts for cheap, there's nothing wrong with building your machine up. good luck with your project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98853-track-porting-52605[1].jpg
Views:	46
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	287591   Click image for larger version

Name:	98846-track-porting-52604[1].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	287592  

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 11-08-2017, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the info, FlyingDutchman, clears up a lot! I think I'll do the two-hole port job as shown, but try to space it out so I can add a third if I think it'll help. Only other question I can think of is how best to set up the track to be drilled. I've read of people doing it with the track on the sled, but since it'll be off, I'd think it would be a lot easier to set up a couple 2x4s on some saw horses (plus no worries about hitting something on the skid).

I'm looking forward to getting the swap done, but right now I'm waiting for my "new" shocks to get here. In the meantime, we've had enough snow this past week to do a little riding up in the hills; she's running great!

Old 11-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Flying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond reputeFlying Dutchman has a reputation beyond repute

I've done them on the machine, but can only drill a few at a time. If track is out, that would be ideal. Your 2x4 sawhorse idea should work, just need a little support on the track. One warning is that it will smoke A LOT. Doing this outside is best, otherwise your neighbor may call the fire dept.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 AM
whoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond reputewhoisthatguy has a reputation beyond repute
Old 11-11-2017, 12:35 AM
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 11-11-2017, 06:05 PM
sno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-24-2018, 02:17 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-24-2018, 11:55 PM
Currently: Not set
retiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 01-26-2018, 07:31 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-27-2018, 01:39 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-27-2018, 01:48 PM

Click Here to Register

Old 01-27-2018, 02:13 PM
sno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to sno*jet For This Useful Post:
BeartoothBaron (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 05:13 PM

Click Here to Register