For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 07:55 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Rick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond repute
Default Update to my previous "T-motion lock-out or not?" thread

OK..... I have some new info that may affect my previous thread questions, and possibly a few answers from you guys;
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showth...73#post4116273

Sled: 2013 800R E-Tech 154"
It shows no signs of abuse.... no tunnel twist...... sits nice and level...... it's a very clean machine with under 1,300 miles on it.
I believe that all suspension components are OEM and are not High Performance components!

My issues:
I have ridden my son's 2015 T-motion sled before, and that is what led me to this purchase. So..... this is my first T-motion sled ownership.
However, this sled has felt unstable to me as though it has a tendency to dive left.

The update story:
On our most recent ride, I stopped several times to make a few adjustments to my suspension spring pressures.

Fist up:
I increased the front shock spring pressure as to see if I could eliminate some of the tendency for the front to dive left.
I increased both sides equally. (third cam up towards full pressure)
Results..... Better..... but it still had a tendency to dive left.

Second up:
I then increased the left shock spring pressure, and lowered the right side spring pressure.
Results...... Better!

Third up:
I raised the track suspension coil spring pressure by rotating both cams one click.
Results...... Better yet!

I have not yet made any changes to the skid limit straps.

Questions:

Do I suspect that the left shock spring has lost tension?

Do I suspect that the left shock has lost internal gas pressure and that the spring pressure may be OK?

I plan to remove the shocks and test them as well as test the springs against each other!

What should I be looking for?

If I end up replacing the two shocks, what should I buy that won't break the sled bank?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you may offer.

Rick E.

Last edited by Rick E; 01-04-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-04-2018, 08:50 AM
Currently: pretending I like summer
Tahoepow has a reputation beyond reputeTahoepow has a reputation beyond reputeTahoepow has a reputation beyond reputeTahoepow has a reputation beyond reputeTahoepow has a reputation beyond reputeTahoepow has a reputation beyond reputeTahoepow has a reputation beyond reputeTahoepow has a reputation beyond reputeTahoepow has a reputation beyond reputeTahoepow has a reputation beyond reputeTahoepow has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I had a front shock on my 2014 xm lose oil/pressure and it sagged more and didn't get the sled to come back level. Happened over the summer. Shock guy said it was something internal that failed. I took both shocks off and had them rebuilt on warranty. That was about 500-600 miles. I just removed all 4 off the shocks on the machine and had fresh oil put in them. Cost was $200. They are the rebuildable KYB summit X shocks. Time will tell if they hold up. Usually they feel pretty solid for 500-1000 miles.
You can get a set of X shocks for about $300-600 all 4 and have fresh higher quality oil and or valving adjustments made if needed. Or spend $1000-3000 on high performance Fox, elka, raptor.
But you most likely have something wrong with shock for the sled to dive to the left.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tahoepow For This Useful Post:
jdrmx (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Basic Member
Rick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond reputeRick E has a reputation beyond repute

Tahoepow, thank you for that!

That gives me a few things to think about.

Rick E.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:34 AM
caper11 has a reputation beyond reputecaper11 has a reputation beyond reputecaper11 has a reputation beyond reputecaper11 has a reputation beyond reputecaper11 has a reputation beyond reputecaper11 has a reputation beyond reputecaper11 has a reputation beyond reputecaper11 has a reputation beyond reputecaper11 has a reputation beyond reputecaper11 has a reputation beyond reputecaper11 has a reputation beyond repute

Diving left is a typical trait to the xm once the stock can is removed. Increasing the left shock spring preload compensates for this as you found out already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Currently: Slednuck
Basic Member
bnorth has a reputation beyond reputebnorth has a reputation beyond reputebnorth has a reputation beyond reputebnorth has a reputation beyond reputebnorth has a reputation beyond reputebnorth has a reputation beyond reputebnorth has a reputation beyond reputebnorth has a reputation beyond reputebnorth has a reputation beyond reputebnorth has a reputation beyond reputebnorth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper11 View Post
Diving left is a typical trait to the xm once the stock can is removed. Increasing the left shock spring preload compensates for this as you found out already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:04 PM
Premium Member
Thanked 2,914 Times in 1,599 Posts
winter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond reputewinter brew has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked ski alignment?

Old 01-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter brew View Post
Have you checked ski alignment?

Yes, the skis appear to be aligned correctly re; toe-in/toe out. However, I will be checking this again.
They are brand new skis........ and I've ridden on them three times only!

More specifically, when I mention that the sled dives left, what happens is that it feels soft at the left front and has/had a tendency to dip, dart or dive left. After having increased the left side spring pressure, it did help some.

I have yet to remove the shocks as to compare the spring extended length, spring pressure, shock extended length, etc to each other.

Rick E.

Last edited by Rick E; 01-06-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Currently: Mechanic for and Advisor to SHR
Basic Member
FEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond reputeFEZ has a reputation beyond repute

shocks ever been rebuilt?

If not they are over due.

If they are SP shocks, throw them away and get a set of X shocks.

SHR has a set of fresh S-36 X shocks in stock. We can be reached @ 612.718.3861

Last edited by FEZ; 01-09-2018 at 08:31 PM.