Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: GEN 2 1999-2001, all models in the Gen 2 chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
CatConvert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2001 800 RMK Assistance

Hoping to get some help on diagnosing a problem. Had to leave my sled in a difficult area and I am hoping to go back and fix it rather than tow it out. Sled started out the day running great as it usually does. Shortly after it started bogging badly but more like a cylinder was cutting out not like it was getting loaded up due to jetting. Occasionally while feather the throttle to get it go it would kick in for a few seconds and run like nothing was wrong. Often times when getting read to start from a stop i'd have to step off to get it moving so the problem was worse with a load on it. I'm really getting the feeling it's and electrical issue. The headlight has been unusually dim for a while and recently it brightened back up like it should be and then the day before it crapped out the light was flickering from dim to bright. The machine had persistent stator problems in the past but not for a while. Also during the ride, but noticed after the problems started, the exhaust developed a large leak, could improper back pressure cause the symptoms as well? Plugs were not great but they were not fouled out either. I changed to a new set and it ran good for about 10 seconds and the problem continued. Thanks for any help.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Currently: project parts searching
olymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond repute

Exhaust has a large leak? Do you mean there is fuel spitting out the muffler, cracked pipe, whatever. Cracked exhaust would mess up your performance big time.

Making JIS screws into junk

Old 01-29-2017, 03:10 PM
Basic Member

Yeah there is a pretty good gap where the pipe joins the header. Looks like the pipe rusted through you can see flames coming out in daylight.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:50 PM
olymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond repute

Got to be someone with a stock exhaust sitting on a shelf in their pole barn after they piped the one they had. Post up in the WTB section.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:02 AM
Basic Member

High temp JB weld to get it out? Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Currently: Not set
retiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatConvert View Post
High temp JB weld to get it out? Thoughts?
Maybe not the best idea to use JB weld as it takes a few hours to totally harden. It could break up and get sucked back into cylinder. Is there room to make a "bandage" out of light steel and clamp it over the hole in the pipe?

Haven't outgrown my 600 yet!

Old 01-30-2017, 12:57 PM

Maybe aluminum flash like you use on a roof? Easy to form to the shape you want using heavy scissors. Hose clamps or mechanics wire it.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Currently: Hopefully sledding
sledmasterminion has a brilliant futuresledmasterminion has a brilliant futuresledmasterminion has a brilliant futuresledmasterminion has a brilliant futuresledmasterminion has a brilliant futuresledmasterminion has a brilliant futuresledmasterminion has a brilliant futuresledmasterminion has a brilliant futuresledmasterminion has a brilliant futuresledmasterminion has a brilliant futuresledmasterminion has a brilliant future

I have a 2001 sitting here with a good exhaust. Boise area.