For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Yamaha: 2-stroke Includes all Yamaha 2-strokes, Viper, Mountain Max, etc

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Currently: Training 6yr old to ride!
Basic Member
bigcrash24 has a reputation beyond reputebigcrash24 has a reputation beyond reputebigcrash24 has a reputation beyond reputebigcrash24 has a reputation beyond reputebigcrash24 has a reputation beyond reputebigcrash24 has a reputation beyond reputebigcrash24 has a reputation beyond reputebigcrash24 has a reputation beyond reputebigcrash24 has a reputation beyond reputebigcrash24 has a reputation beyond reputebigcrash24 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 98 MM overheated: icy trails

Took it out on Sunday, trails were icy/hard compact snow. Warm outside, guessing about 40F.
Let the sled warm up for about 10min before riding.
Got up the trail for about 2miles, showed overheat.
Opened the hood, coolant reservoir was just starting to overflow out the spout.
Exchangers were warm/hot.
Not using ice scratchers.

Thinking that there was just not enough snow to get onto the exchangers.

I've never had a problem with this sled before, but I've never run it on hard/icy snow trails either.
Anyone else?
I've ordered ice scratchers, so will try it out again and see.

(I was also running my 2001 MM with ice scratchers and it did fine (temp gauge showed about 120-130).

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
trail traveler has a reputation beyond reputetrail traveler has a reputation beyond reputetrail traveler has a reputation beyond reputetrail traveler has a reputation beyond reputetrail traveler has a reputation beyond reputetrail traveler has a reputation beyond reputetrail traveler has a reputation beyond reputetrail traveler has a reputation beyond reputetrail traveler has a reputation beyond reputetrail traveler has a reputation beyond reputetrail traveler has a reputation beyond repute

You're right on target about needing ice scratchers. When the trails are compact like you described, ice scratchers will certainly do the job. When I'm out riding and I see my temps climb, I'll drop my scratchers and the temperture will drop about 20 degrees in under a minute of riding.

The Following User Says Thank You to trail traveler For This Useful Post:
bigcrash24 (02-14-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Basic Member
tacoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Same problem.

I have the same sled with the same problem. Going up a long hill on compact snow will make it overheat. If possible plow through some soft snow on the side of the trail.

The Following User Says Thank You to tacoman For This Useful Post:
bigcrash24 (12-07-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:38 PM
LoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond reputeLoneViper has a reputation beyond repute

If you run into a real problem, pack the tops of the running boards with chunks of snow then head for the first soft spot you see.