• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What do you guys want to see in the CAT turbo system?

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
The must haves: External waste gate for quick response, re flashed ecu for simplicity, simplified cold air intake for consistency, ability to run at least a pump gas blend at lower elevations. A good quality all around clutch package. Ability to
quickly change springs in waste gate to adjust between 5-7-10lbs with out changing any programming.

The wish list:about 250 usable HP at 8-10 lbs, Blue tooth capable or better yet and app like the new 2018 YZ450F to quick change a map or download a re flash without having to send my ecu to another country. Maybe a water to air inter cooled air box, Something small light and compact, Not designed to produce 400 shoot climbing horse at 32 lbs but something that can help run smooth and consistent when heat soaked in the trees.

And oh ya, all this for about 4 grand

M7-Ballz 2 the Wall

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Additional to what Bob said is an oil-less turbo, stainless exhaust housing, stainless or titanium down pipe, tunnel dump exhaust. Also smooth response on the bottom with little to no turbo lag.

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
I like your thinking M7-Ballz to the wall, I've had comp oil less turbos in the past and was pretty happy with the performance until it came time to get the bearings repacked. Then it became another expensive hassle, Not to mention wasting your first day of your first trip breaking in the turbo. I don't want to hijack this thread by opening up a debate, but there are options being used out there that drip injection oil in the bearing that i'm currently using and having great luck with it. I think we can agree that we just don't want an oil tank.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Quicker response and more reliable than the pro and doo for pump kits. Pull and go
That's where the money is.

Boonedicker failed horribly with side-kick to the ribs. What a joke.

What “failed horribly” on the cat side kicks? Just curious, have only seen a couple out there.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Laggy, hard to ride, makes them feel heavy, no clutching to speak of. Complete joke.
Had issues with every kit I've dealt with and then failures on to of that, on every kit, some boxes failed, why I started mounting them in the nose cone. Engine failures etc... Although I think 1 looked like an over heat but can't know for sure. Definately not pull and go.
The 14 mod would pull with some.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Agreed. You couldn't pay me to ride the suzuki boondocker kit. Horrible lag compared to my axys silber. I've said it multiple times now. I won't buy a turbo without a reflashed factory ecu.

Rinker

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
CO
Like the other guys said. Reflashed ECU, no lag, and around $3500 would be prime. Looking at getting a new cat next year and bolting on a hair dryer.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Laggy, hard to ride, makes them feel heavy, no clutching to speak of. Complete joke.
Had issues with every kit I've dealt with and then failures on to of that, on every kit, some boxes failed, why I started mounting them in the nose cone. Engine failures etc... Although I think 1 looked like an over heat but can't know for sure. Definately not pull and go.
The 14 mod would pull with some.

I only know of three provlimb sidekicks that were installed locally. Never got to ride them, but know 2 of the three squeaked pistons in the first 100 miles.
A $3500 pump gas kit should be do-able with quality parts (not Chinese cheapy parts) and reliability.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
All 5 that went through my local shop last year had issues. Ive never had good luck with their controllers. Hopefully getting vohks tunes in will get them to run better with less lag. Will see this winter.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Would like you to make a kit for lower elevations. I don't know what makes your current kit not work on lower elevation, but i remember you meantioning it in a facebook message.

nm2708

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
Mott ND
I was told the turbo performance kit will work at low elevation. I will find out for sure on my cat when I get one

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I like all the ideas expressed in the first response. ie external wastegate, flashed ecu.

The only other option I'd enjoy would be a true low elevation pump gas turbo. I guess a head shim could be an option. I'd rather it not be, but if it gets me a reliable pump gas turbo set up at even 4-5psi then I'd be on a Cat 800 for sure.

Premium Features