For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Powder Room This is the SnoWest LADIES forum.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 07:11 AM
Currently: Patiently waiting for my '19
Blk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond repute
Default First real adventure in the backcountry with my wife

I've been posting here for some time, trying to get a sense of how to equip my wife for a backcountry ride and we finally got a chance to get away and test out everyone's theories.

A little background.... my wife has been a trail rider most of her life and hasn't been on a sled in a few years. She was concerned she would hate a long sled, so we picked up a 146 Freeride for her. My wife is small and not an aggressive rider at all. I read as many posts here and on FB groups as I could about how to make things easier for a new/female rider and tried to keep my head about me when things went sideways.

Once she focuses on looking past her ski tips, I think she'll have more fun. She had a number of dismounts and hilarious stucks that we both laughed our heads off about. A couple that required "excavations" as opposed to "digs".

We decided to spend a week in BC exploring areas neither of us had ever been. Somewhere along the line, a tree magnet found it's way into her sled though..... as you can see, I did a bit of shoveling.

Unfortunately she came down with a bad cold on day 3 and just didn't have the energy to keep riding. The snow was the best I've seen in the 11 years I've been riding.

Here are a few of the tips that helped me stay married after this adventure.

1. Be patient!
2. Don't razz her like you would a buddy, keep your comments to yourself.
3. Have a GOOD shovel! My BCA Dozer got a workout!
4. Make absolutely sure you have a Snowbunje if it's just the two of you!
5. You do as much of the getting un-stuck work as you can to keep her from getting exhausted. If she's tired, she will NOT enjoy herself.
6. Offer short but detailed, meaningful instruction from time to time. No lectures!

Overall, we had a great time and she's already talking about our next trip.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blk88GT For This Useful Post:
Elkaholic4life (03-26-2017), Missy (03-27-2017), NorthMNSledder (03-16-2017), rocks rev (03-16-2017), Ryan-41 (07-29-2017), volcano buster (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 07:20 AM
Currently: The person Elky looks up too.
Thanked 3,823 Times in 2,147 Posts
NorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond reputeNorthMNSledder has a reputation beyond repute

That's very cool!! Looks like you two had a great trip!

I really hope to get to that same point with my wife down the line. But for now she just doesn't care for riding sleds. Loves ATV's and SxS's so I will take what I can get.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorthMNSledder For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (03-20-2017), Elkaholic4life (03-26-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 07:20 PM
Currently: trials213mt@gmail.com
Solarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond repute

Great work! My wife is 125lbs and stated backcountry riding at 47 yrs old. Patience is key, make it fun and slowly introduce techniques for her to practice. My wife is now having a blast and riding well.
Also, a mountain riding clinic or two with other ladies can be fun and
greatly improves their skills.
A photo of my wife "on edge"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2614.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	282818  

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Solarguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 07:53 PM
Currently: trials213mt@gmail.com
Solarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond reputeSolarguy has a reputation beyond repute

Last ride the 52 year old wife shreds 4' of pow. She rode her own lines
and hardly got stuck all day. Very happy to see her having so much fun, it was worth the wait!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4594.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	282823  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Solarguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Currently: Not set.
WingNutRacing has a reputation beyond reputeWingNutRacing has a reputation beyond reputeWingNutRacing has a reputation beyond reputeWingNutRacing has a reputation beyond reputeWingNutRacing has a reputation beyond reputeWingNutRacing has a reputation beyond reputeWingNutRacing has a reputation beyond reputeWingNutRacing has a reputation beyond reputeWingNutRacing has a reputation beyond reputeWingNutRacing has a reputation beyond reputeWingNutRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Haha....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk88GT View Post
I've been posting here for some time, trying to get a sense of how to equip my wife for a backcountry ride and we finally got a chance to get away and test out everyone's theories.

A little background.... my wife has been a trail rider most of her life and hasn't been on a sled in a few years. She was concerned she would hate a long sled, so we picked up a 146 Freeride for her. My wife is small and not an aggressive rider at all. I read as many posts here and on FB groups as I could about how to make things easier for a new/female rider and tried to keep my head about me when things went sideways.

Once she focuses on looking past her ski tips, I think she'll have more fun. She had a number of dismounts and hilarious stucks that we both laughed our heads off about. A couple that required "excavations" as opposed to "digs".

We decided to spend a week in BC exploring areas neither of us had ever been. Somewhere along the line, a tree magnet found it's way into her sled though..... as you can see, I did a bit of shoveling.

Unfortunately she came down with a bad cold on day 3 and just didn't have the energy to keep riding. The snow was the best I've seen in the 11 years I've been riding.

Here are a few of the tips that helped me stay married after this adventure.

1. Be patient!
2. Don't razz her like you would a buddy, keep your comments to yourself.
3. Have a GOOD shovel! My BCA Dozer got a workout!
4. Make absolutely sure you have a Snowbunje if it's just the two of you!
5. You do as much of the getting un-stuck work as you can to keep her from getting exhausted. If she's tired, she will NOT enjoy herself.
6. Offer short but detailed, meaningful instruction from time to time. No lectures!

Overall, we had a great time and she's already talking about our next trip.

Number 2 is great, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!
After our many adventures I've realized that I can now start to "razz" her a little, and I've actually noticed she takes on a different attitude after said "razzing"... So, this is what I think is happening in her head....
My words, but I'm pretty sure her thoughts....

Ok

I know he knows I'm doing my best..
But I'll show that fu@#in dick!
I don't care if I fold up this pretty sled, fu@# it!
More throttle he says...
I'll pin this bit@#. I'll fu@#in ping pong this s#it off every damn tree he tells me to look past..... Fu@#in dick, I'll show him!

Then she burns up the hill like it's nothing.......

So, now I use said razzing as "motivational subliminal messaging"

And, it works.........

After this intense situation that could totally backfire on me at any time, I redeem myself by giving her some well deserved praise...
And PRAY that that works as well

All in all we always have fun....... and we're even still married
www.snowbikeonline.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WingNutRacing For This Useful Post:
Blk88GT (03-27-2017), Elkaholic4life (03-26-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:42 AM
Currently: Not set.
Rich_mountain has a reputation beyond reputeRich_mountain has a reputation beyond reputeRich_mountain has a reputation beyond reputeRich_mountain has a reputation beyond reputeRich_mountain has a reputation beyond reputeRich_mountain has a reputation beyond reputeRich_mountain has a reputation beyond reputeRich_mountain has a reputation beyond reputeRich_mountain has a reputation beyond reputeRich_mountain has a reputation beyond reputeRich_mountain has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

That is really awesome... We have had a great snow season down here in Washington. My wife and I are new to the sport and I think she enjoys it even more then I do. we ride older sleds but they are good machines. I do a lot to keep her our of the snow drifts, as we ride mostly trail stuff right now until we get more experience. BUT that doesn't stop her from getting off the trail and getting in to some fresh pow and getting stuck and leaving it to me to get her un-stuck. lol

Old 03-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Currently: is doing her SNOWDANCE!
Missy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond repute

Great job MR! Sounds like you did all the right things!

BTW I am extremely jealous of the conditions in those pictures!!!

Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 PM
Currently: Patiently waiting for my '19
Blk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond reputeBlk88GT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
Great job MR! Sounds like you did all the right things!

BTW I am extremely jealous of the conditions in those pictures!!!
Those pictures were just the beginning... check out the few days she was too sick to get out on the hill with me.....

I promise, there's a sled under that GPS!

It was seriously off the charts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blk88GT For This Useful Post:
Missy (03-28-2017), Ryan-41 (07-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:23 AM
Currently: is doing her SNOWDANCE!
Missy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond reputeMissy has a reputation beyond repute

AMAZING! LUCKY...