For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Member Sled Builds A forum for building a project or mod sled.... Not just your common "Mods", but full on sled build projects.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2017, 11:19 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
HARDWARE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why clutches

As I read through the member builds it comes up a lot the issues of packaging a machine with 2 huge cvt clutches?? Why not an electronically shifted gear box? I have a Honda SxS with a electronically shifted gear box? I keep wondering about a maching built with a 500cc ish motorcycle engine factory turbo 115 hp ish?

Flame away sno westies!!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-18-2017, 11:33 AM
Currently: TOO MANY PROJECTS!
joshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Its weight size and the amount of shifting would destroy them

And side by sides suck

Old 02-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Basic Member

Works for sno bikes so far?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Currently: TOO MANY PROJECTS!
joshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond reputejoshkoltes has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Well then you should go and design one for a sled and sell it to the manufactures.

I suppose it would need a chain drive off the pto of the crank that would locate this gear box somewhere between the intake and the fuel tank then another drop case from the output down to the drive shaft. To make it do able your going to need the gearing to be light as possible probably all gears custom recut but then it'll only handle the power of a scooter.

I think someone tried this years ago by the way. Difference was they just used a crotch rocket engine and trans but it never really worked

Pretty sure it was cpt. Ron on here

Old 02-18-2017, 06:11 PM
Currently: Looking forward to the first ride on my 2018 M 800 CTEC
d1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond reputed1100t has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chain drive.

I think your right.
Capt. Ron had or still has a Honda turbo powered sled that is/was chain driven.

If I remember correctly there was another sled built using a 1300 Suzuki street bike engine. I'm guessing it was chain drive also.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:55 PM
Basic Member

I am thinking a MC power plant gear box and all rekluse style clutch push button electric shift or auto,chain to track shaft with a sprocket rotor ,combo turbo bolted to the head on front of motor inter cooled , steering post over top of motor , could be narrow enough to straddle the motor? More of a snow bike turned snowmobile!

Again flame away westies!