• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why clutches

H
Nov 28, 2008
HERMISTON OR
As I read through the member builds it comes up a lot the issues of packaging a machine with 2 huge cvt clutches?? Why not an electronically shifted gear box? I have a Honda SxS with a electronically shifted gear box? I keep wondering about a maching built with a 500cc ish motorcycle engine factory turbo 115 hp ish?

Flame away sno westies!!

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Well then you should go and design one for a sled and sell it to the manufactures.

I suppose it would need a chain drive off the pto of the crank that would locate this gear box somewhere between the intake and the fuel tank then another drop case from the output down to the drive shaft. To make it do able your going to need the gearing to be light as possible probably all gears custom recut but then it'll only handle the power of a scooter.

I think someone tried this years ago by the way. Difference was they just used a crotch rocket engine and trans but it never really worked

Pretty sure it was cpt. Ron on here

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Chain drive.

I think your right.
Capt. Ron had or still has a Honda turbo powered sled that is/was chain driven.

If I remember correctly there was another sled built using a 1300 Suzuki street bike engine. I'm guessing it was chain drive also.

H
Nov 28, 2008
HERMISTON OR
I am thinking a MC power plant gear box and all rekluse style clutch push button electric shift or auto,chain to track shaft with a sprocket rotor ,combo turbo bolted to the head on front of motor inter cooled , steering post over top of motor , could be narrow enough to straddle the motor? More of a snow bike turned snowmobile!

Again flame away westies!

Premium Features