For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: GEN 1 and older 1998 and older, all models in the Gen 1 Indy chassis and older chassis models

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
Dave Menu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 Polaris Indy 500 runs then dies

I have a 96 Polaris Indy 500, it starts up cold and runs perfect, good throttle response, but after 10 min of riding it, it Bogs down and dies, then never restarts. I've replaced all fuel lines,needles and seats, keys, intake boots, new coils. It's got good spark and seems to be getting fuel (at least when its runnin) any ideas?

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Currently: In limbo
sled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond repute

When it dies, have you checked to see if it has spark at that point?

Make sure your tank is venting correctly, if the tank vent is blocked then it will slowly pull a vacuum in the tank and stop the fuel flow. You can check that by just cracking the cap open when it dies and see if it sucks air in.

If you let it sit and cool off then it will restart? Might be the CDI... I had one of those older twins that would idle fine when hot, but not rev up. Turned out it was the CDI when it got hot wouldn't advance the timing at all.

Did you also replace the pulse line from the motor to the fuel pump? It could be getting warm and then collapsing causing the fuel pump to not work. Probably easiest way to check the fuel is when it dies, pull one of the fuel lines off the carbs and try and start it, watching for fuel to squirt out of the fuel line. If it does then you know the pump and lines are working fine.

And last but not least, check the fuel feed line in the tank. Older machines with the ethanol fuel we have these days tend to have that pickup line rot. It can either fall off or get holes in it causing it to suck air and start the motor for fuel.

sled_guy

The Following User Says Thank You to sled_guy For This Useful Post:
volcano buster (01-14-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:54 AM
Basic Member
AZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond reputeAZ800 has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta see if It has spark after it dies too. the cdi or the stator can short out once it gets heat soaked and the wires expand.

And redo the ends on the spark plug wires. Sounds weird but I had a sled I thought stator was going bad and turned out the plug wires were just shorting out at the terminals where they screwed in. Just wore out the connections

Old 01-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Basic Member

OK, I replaced fuel line in tank, and fuel filter, and pet ****, has new Cdi, gas tank seems to vent as I can hear it when I sit down on the seat. Has new plugs and I double checked plug ends and they seam to be in straight, got s good spark after it dies, but don't seam to have fuel, I'll check fuel line coming from engine this evening.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:13 PM
trestlecreek has a reputation beyond reputetrestlecreek has a reputation beyond reputetrestlecreek has a reputation beyond reputetrestlecreek has a reputation beyond reputetrestlecreek has a reputation beyond reputetrestlecreek has a reputation beyond reputetrestlecreek has a reputation beyond reputetrestlecreek has a reputation beyond reputetrestlecreek has a reputation beyond reputetrestlecreek has a reputation beyond reputetrestlecreek has a reputation beyond repute

Like they said, see if both plugs have spark. Its OK to cross the plug wires and trace to see if its a Coil. They both fire at the same time on two strokes. Some times when a coil is going out, it will shut down when Hot but work when cool...

Old 01-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Basic Member

Ok, got it out yesterday after checking everything mentioned. It ran strong for 30 min and I was thinking it was finally good. But it bogged dwn and died,this time I had more tools and was able to Ck a few things it appears to stop getting fuel, fuel goes through filter and shut off and is getting to the pump but not from the pump to carbs, I pulled the line off coming from crank case and tried to pull air through that line on the fuel pump and couldn't pull air so I'm thinking the diaphragm is ok. Any thoughts?

Old 01-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Currently: In limbo
sled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the pump might be bad.

sled_guy

Old 01-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Currently: ahhh back to work
Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
slash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

check the pulse line it might be old and soft and collapsing under vacuum

09 IQ
KMOD
RAPTORS
2.5 CE
MOHAWKS
SLP PIPE
KOOLME KUSTOMS 660 KIT
TATERSPORTING PORTWORK

[IMG]//www.snowest.com//www.snowest.com/i/snowest-forum-logo.jpg[/IMG]