For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: GEN 1 and older 1998 and older, all models in the Gen 1 Indy chassis and older chassis models

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Currently: Where's the snow?
Merlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mikuni VM Slide Spring Tension

Good morning!

I'd like to reduce the amount of tension on the throttle slide springs(VM30) on our Indy lite to make it easier for our son's thumb.

What are your thoughts on trimming the springs VS installing lighter springs? - How much can you trim before there are legitimate concerns of the slides sticking from ice? What P/N to use if a lighter spring is the way to go?

FYI, the cables are all moving freely & have been lubed. The springs are just too stiff! LOL

TIA

Glen

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Currently: project parts searching
olymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond reputeolymon has a reputation beyond repute

You could probably cut 1/4 of it off and be fine, maybe more. Curl the cut off end in a little bit so you know it won't to any binding.

Making JIS screws into junk

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to olymon For This Useful Post:
Merlin (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 03:21 PM
Currently: Not set
retiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond reputeretiredpop has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the Indy Lites used the same throttle safety switches in the throttle block as the rest of the Polaris sleds so in the event you did get a slide sticking it should shut down anyway. You should be safe to trim 1/4 to 1/3 of it away but you may have to stretch it back to the original length. There is something called "throttle gizmo" which helps for part throttle operation for smaller/weaker hands. My son has one on a Skidoo so his young girls can drive it. It works well.

http://www.clydecanride.com/

Haven't outgrown my 600 yet!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to retiredpop For This Useful Post:
Merlin (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Currently: Where's the snow?
Merlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond reputeMerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

Free length of the factory springs was 4.250" so I trimmed them down to 3.5". I'm pretty sure I could trim more but I'll see how the rider makes out with it the way that it is & then go from there.

Pop, you are right. The machine has a TSS & it also has a tether so we should be covered in the event of a stuck slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olymon View Post
You could probably cut 1/4 of it off and be fine, maybe more. Curl the cut off end in a little bit so you know it won't to any binding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredpop View Post
I believe the Indy Lites used the same throttle safety switches in the throttle block as the rest of the Polaris sleds so in the event you did get a slide sticking it should shut down anyway. You should be safe to trim 1/4 to 1/3 of it away but you may have to stretch it back to the original length. There is something called "throttle gizmo" which helps for part throttle operation for smaller/weaker hands. My son has one on a Skidoo so his young girls can drive it. It works well.

http://www.clydecanride.com/

Rate this post: Yes | No