• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TRS Clutching

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I've been getting a lot of messages about what Tony's clutch setup is, where to get it, what to expect, etc. This thread is about those topics.

A little background: Two buddies and I got Mtntk turbos this year. Kit was supplied with the typical turbo clutching. 10 series (ish), 40+ degree helix, and medium to stiff springs. Our particular setup was 10-74's (actually 74.7 grams), 180-320 primary, straight 40, and 155-222 secondary. I had been lurking on the forums prior to getting the turbo as well as seeing belt performance out in real life with turbos. THEY SUCK! Well lo and behold, we were no different. Clutch heat was off the charts. I actually wrecked a Polaris 183 in 40 miles, most of which were trail miles. If you wanted to make a 2-3+ minute aggressive tree line over and over without stopping and letting the clutches cool, you were gonna blow a belt for sure.

I got a hold of Spaarky on here. And he set me up with what I needed to get started on testing Tony's setup on the Axys. Tony is out this season and has never tested on the Axys. A special thanks to Justin (Spaarky) for the parts and to Tony for taking his time to go through all the nitty gritty details on what works and why, and what to try next to get this more dialed in.

The first set of weights I tried were Indy Dan's Lightning knockoffs. I was running those at 78 grams. They are not the same as real Lightning weights and do not work with Tony's setup. I found out TCP had weights so next ride I had 76.2 gram Lightnings. WAY WAY better. Heat went down to less than what we had with the 10 series, but still to hot. Track speed went WAY up on the big end. Engagement was buttery smooth. From idle to WOT, RPM would climb so fast that it would trip the soft rev limiter when I was running the desired spring that works well in a Pro. Power delivery is more linear. It doesn't quite have that initial yank on the bars like the 10 series; it's totally smooth and linear and just keeps pulling whereas the 10 series would yank and then kinda fall off. Stock Axys is running 2.22:1 gearing which turns out is too tall for our style of riding. We put on Pro RMK pulleys which got us to 2.39:1. That is a bit too low...

And that is where we are as of right now. This is not 100% dialed in. There are some guys running sidekicks that have been testing this as well and I'll add their info in as well.

Lightning Weights

Get these from Tri City Performance. (801) 298-8081. They were the original manufacturer and still have a handful of sets left. When they run out, that's it. There are no more available. Tony and company are working towards getting another run made for next season.

They are a lot different than other weights. They have more tip mass and are tucked under more among other things. This is how they sit in the clutch compared to the 10 series:

16105794_10211432165022459_8495683199744088694_n.jpg

Sidekicks are running 68 grams. We ran 76 grams and 74 grams in our Mtntk kits. The 76 grams at 8500 RPM is wild. Basically impossible to stay in the throttle on a hill without wheeling over backwards without a 174 or coupling skid.

Belt to sheave

As you can see in the above picture, those weights are tucked under more. Belt to sheave will increase ~.030" from a 10 series shimming. You want to be .020" - .040" belt to sheave with this setup, ideally .030". So unless you have tight belt to sheave with 10 series, you're gonna have to re shim the spider. And no, a 911 cover or any other belt to sheave adjuster does not count. That is not moving the spider. Most folks don't have the tools to do this. Your local dealer SHOULD be able to. I've come to find out most dealers are clueless and don't even know what shimming the spider is. If that's the case for you, I recommend Indy Dan, Cascade Balancing, etc. $100 - $150 or so for the full shimming, balancing, etc from these outfits.

Belt

Gates 45C4553. The Polaris belt will work, but I believe you will be leaving performance on the table. The Gates seems more grippy to me. Plus they're $104 and come with a warranty. This should be a no brainer. That being said, these belts, as posted before, are pretty finicky. Proper breakin in is crucial. That means 3 complete heat cycles from hot to cold within the first 50 miles. And if you're clutching is off, the belts do not last. If they are dialed in, they seem to last a long time. You can get them on Amazon, Ebay, Dobeck Performance usually has them, etc. Even your local auto parts store, rock auto, etc can get them since they are Gates.

Helix

46-32F / 46-34F ER. Get this from Rogers Sport in Cody, WY or Venom. If I were you, I'd order the special Polaris reverse cut. They will now do this for you. Tony's setup runs soft springs, so in reverse it can pull out of the Venom notch. With the Polaris notch it's fine. We have been running in the 32 finish angle. Everyone says a 32 will never work, you need a 44 or 48 etc to hold the power of the turbo. Well I bet to differ. Read AAEN's book. Stiff secondary spring and steep angles are 100% opposite of efficient clutching. No wonder typical turbo clutching sucks. Shallower angles backshift fast and upshift slower. They also have more belt squeeze than steep angles. So forget everything you read on the internet and trust that this works. Because it does.

Secondary Spring

140-220 with 1 delrin. I have tested the stock 155-222 spring and it was worse than the 140-220. More testing is needed here to verify this is the right spring but so far the 140-220 is what you want.

Primary Spring

Tony likes the 165-310 in his Pro. On the Axys it revs SO fast with this spring. It was throwing my sled for a loop. Like a soft rev limiter protection mode in the ECU when it thinks it doesn't have a belt on it. Sidekick guys are currently liking the 140-330 spring. I ran the stock 120-320 last weekend and it was not too doggy. But I am at 6000' whereas Tony and the Sidekick guys are riding 8000'-10000' or higher.

Alignment

I don't understand the Polaris alignment. We were originally set up with that alignment and the belt witness marks were telling us to move the secondary out and the inside sheave of the Primary was scalding hot at the same time the moveable was much cooler. Obviously not happy there. On the Pro, Tony would set the motor in perfect parallelism and then add motor mounts to lock it down. You can't do that on the Axys so I am running no motor mounts to allow it to flex into alignment as design by Polaris. We have found that using the SLP 20-191 bar set to a gap of ~.150" at the front of the secondary is the happy spot for the belt on the Axys. http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=24&productID=208 They're $40. You'll have to trim the front of it to get it to fit in the Axys.

Gearing

As stated before 2.22:1 is too high for us, 2.39:1 is too low. Tony schooled me on how to read the sheave to see where your heat is coming from and where the belt is riding most of the time. ~2.3:1 seems to be the ideal ratio. Now if you are a hill climber, 2.22:1 might be the ticket. We ride trees. Not incredibly dense trees though. 2.3:1 would be best for us. If you ride dense trees, then 2.39:1 or so may be the ticket for you. Be honest with yourself on gearing. I certainly can't ride 40-50 mph through the woods. So 2.22:1 is not for me. Gearing is not imperative, but pretty darn important if you want good belt life, low heat, and the helix to work as intended. That being said, If you're running a 174 3" gearing/helix angle may not be ideal for you. We are running 155 2.6, 163 2.6, and 165 2.8.

Lastly, Tony has spent a ton of time developing this and doesn't make any money on it or anything. He spends many hours helping the fellow sledder on here and out in the field. If you guys try this and love it as much as we do (and save yourself $1000 in belts), maybe you could give Tony a thanks and pay it forward. He is really involved in the Top of the World trail system in the Beartooths. I'm sure they would accept donations. :rockon:

4th consecutive rip accross this hill doing the same thing. Didn't feel the need to stop to let the clutches cool off. You can see some our riding clips in the Mtntk Axys thread as well. 2-3 minute tree runs are the norm.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fwhitedumpster%2Fvideos%2F685022901675813%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD

Lastly, Tony has spent a ton of time developing this and doesn't make any money on it or anything. He spends many hours helping the fellow sledder on here and out in the field. If you guys try this and love it as much as we do (and save yourself $1000 in belts), maybe you could give Tony a thanks and pay it forward. He is really involved in the Top of the World trail system in the Beartooths. I'm sure they would accept donations.

I am going to highlight that.... that part is pretty dang important to me. There has been 30 of Tonys helixs ordered in the last 2 weeks. If everyone did a donation of $20, roughly.... that's $600 to the warming, or trail fund... would go a long ways.

One thing that was missed. If you purchase a set of Lightning weights and they are too heavy. IF you decide to drill them. Drill each hole EXACTLY THE SAME!!! you need a set of Alphabet drill bits to make sure you are only taking a little bit at a time. You will also need a gram scale.

If you have to PM me. I might be able to swap you a set. I have been hoarding some sets. or if they are too light, I might be able to get you a heavier set.

Last edited:

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Are the lighting weights "adjustable"

Also I really need to get my head around this helix direction! :)

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Are the lighting weights "adjustable"

Also I really need to get my head around this helix direction! :)

Not really. You can get up to 76 grams. Likely not heavy enough for you guys in AK unless you want to run the 3# setup. It would be interesting.

And then they have the 4 holes. They were originally designed to be "adjustable" via drilling those holes out. So if you got 76 grams and they were too heavy, you drill them out till you hit the desired weight. Drilling evenly as Spaarky has stated.

When we get another run made, I believe there will be a push to get some heavier ones, like 78 -80 grams.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
like with magnets? no... Indy Specialties has a copy of the lightning weight with magnets.... we have not tried them. Tory tried the drillable Indy Specialty, as he said they were not quit the same.

I am not good with pics.... Usually we start heavy and drill them down. Again ALL holes even. You can ONLY DRILL to 3/16 of a inch if I remember right. We have it set it up so we can machine the sides now, instead of drilling holes.

Example... like a 62.5 fully drilled went down to a 58.6 or so... I would have to go out to the shop and look.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
So it sounds like those of us on the Silber setup (7 pound spring - 8-9psi of boost) would need the heaviest ones they make right?

Currently running...

10-70
Almond team spring
48 straight cut
black orange secondary

...and my clutches are hot!!!

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Tdbaugha thank you for sharing your findings. Tony thank you for sharing a clutch setup that is loved by many. My 1 question is about the primary spring. TDB you said the sidekick guys are running a 140 330 primary and like it. Have you tried it and if so what did you think? I have ordered the following, 46 32f single cut helix, 75.7 and 76.1 lightnings gates carbon belt and 140 220 secondary spring, for my 17 Axys 174 stock gearing with a X3 and MTNTK turbo at 9LBS. It looks like the only unknown on a Axys is the primary spring. Whats your best guess on a primary spring for my setup? I guess technically thats 2 questions. And again thanks T&T for all your hard work.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
So it sounds like those of us on the Silber setup (7 pound spring - 8-9psi of boost) would need the heaviest ones they make right?

Currently running...

10-70
Almond team spring
48 straight cut
black orange secondary

...and my clutches are hot!!!

JJ, considering your current setup, I'd recommend 70-71 gram lightning weights. The sidekicks were running a SIMILAR setup but with 10-68's and they ended up needing 68 gram lightning weights.

Tdbaugha thank you for sharing your findings. Tony thank you for sharing a clutch setup that is loved by many. My 1 question is about the primary spring. TDB you said the sidekick guys are running a 140 330 primary and like it. Have you tried it and if so what did you think? I have ordered the following, 46 32f single cut helix, 75.7 and 76.1 lightnings gates carbon belt and 140 220 secondary spring, for my 17 Axys 174 stock gearing with a X3 and MTNTK turbo at 9LBS. It looks like the only unknown on a Axys is the primary spring. Whats your best guess on a primary spring for my setup? I guess technically thats 2 questions. And again thanks T&T for all your hard work.

I have not tried the 140-330. I've ran the 165-310, 120-320, and Travis has ran the 120-310.

We are still experimenting with the guidance of Tony. It is not perfected yet. Luckily spring changes are quick and easy.

Next up I'm going to try a 150-290 primary and a 140-200 secondary.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Not really. You can get up to 76 grams. Likely not heavy enough for you guys in AK unless you want to run the 3# setup. It would be interesting.

And then they have the 4 holes. They were originally designed to be "adjustable" via drilling those holes out. So if you got 76 grams and they were too heavy, you drill them out till you hit the desired weight. Drilling evenly as Spaarky has stated.

When we get another run made, I believe there will be a push to get some heavier ones, like 78 -80 grams.

Ok thank you, Ya we are running 82-83 grams on 3# here.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
JJ, considering your current setup, I'd recommend 70-71 gram lightning weights. The sidekicks were running a SIMILAR setup but with 10-68's and they ended up needing 68 gram lightning weights.

I have not tried the 140-330. I've ran the 165-310, 120-320, and Travis has ran the 120-310.

We are still experimenting with the guidance of Tony. It is not perfected yet. Luckily spring changes are quick and easy.

Next up I'm going to try a 150-290 primary and a 140-200 secondary.

I guess a better question is could I drill out the heavier weights to be 70ish grams? I'd rather have too much than too little...

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
AK, have you ever ran Polaris 10-76's or 10-78's with the straight 40?

JJ, you sure can. Get 72's. I am pretty darn confident you will end up at 70-71 grams given your current setup. You're running the 5# spring right? What elevation? If you do get this clutching it would be a good data point for other Silber owners as far as what gram weight to buy.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
like with magnets? no... Indy Specialties has a copy of the lightning weight with magnets.... we have not tried them. Tory tried the drillable Indy Specialty, as he said they were not quit the same.

I am not good with pics.... Usually we start heavy and drill them down. Again ALL holes even. You can ONLY DRILL to 3/16 of a inch if I remember right. We have it set it up so we can machine the sides now, instead of drilling holes.

Example... like a 62.5 fully drilled went down to a 58.6 or so... I would have to go out to the shop and look.

Thanks Spaarky, Ya Dan had his turbo weights that go up to 80 and are a different design. He says he has not found someone that need more weight than that on his design so may try those.

The helix direction is what is throwing me off since everything I thought I knew was steeper was better for application as in allowed us to run less weight which was good for us. Now I am hearing the steeper helix really does not affect that? The only reason we went with the 42/44 and 42/46 was because we believed it allowed us to run less weight to keep our rpm in check.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

JJ, you sure can. Get 72's. I am pretty darn confident you will end up at 70-71 grams given your current setup. You're running the 5# spring right? What elevation? If you do get this clutching it would be a good data point for other Silber owners as far as what gram weight to buy.

I was at 5 now at 7 - but I do go back and forth.

I think 75s is the call.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska

Have not no, Have only ran MTX, Rooster and SSI. All seam to be close in weight. We tried the straight 40 with 86 grams on 5# and was over reving too much.

But we have not tried the Polaris weights. What is the highest they go? 78? What would that be like on the Rooster? We are running 82-83 on 3# with a steeper helix now.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Have not no, Have only ran MTX, Rooster and SSI. All seam to be close in weight. We tried the straight 40 with 86 grams on 5# and was over reving too much.

But we have not tried the Polaris weights. What is the highest they go? 78? What would that be like on the Rooster? We are running 82-83 on 3# with a steeper helix now.

Just got off the phone with Indy Specialty. We were running these weights at 75-75.5 grams. The MAX they go up to is 83 grams. And they have NEVER had anyone pull that much weight. Sea level or otherwise. The IS kit works well at lower elevation. Pretty similar to Tony's really. You could definitely run it.

That being said, I think you could get away with the 76 gram Lightnings....

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
Just got off the phone with Indy Specialty. We were running these weights at 75-75.5 grams. The MAX they go up to 83 grams. And they have NEVER had anyone pull that much weight. Sea level or otherwise. The IS kit works well at lower elevation. Pretty similar to Tony's really. You could definitely run it.

That being said, I think you could get away with the 76 gram Lightnings....
Have you tried Indy Dan's turbo helix?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Have you tried Indy Dan's turbo helix?

Yes Travis ran the whole kit. Works well in our experience. Higher elevation folks say it's too lazy. Weights don't have bushings so if the weights weren't properly heat treated, you will have issues. And FYI his helix is in the ballpark of the 46-32F just eyeballing it.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I just got off the phone with Dan.
He said he has my cut in stock 46-32F ER/46-34F ER. Call him if you are interested. Talk only to Dan, if he isn't available leave a message and he will get back to you.
651-388-9945

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features