• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Phazer ** Need help with issue

B
Oct 16, 2016
I have a 93 Phazer that was running great and then all the sudden started running bad. I put new plugs because it ran like I fouled a plug.

Tonight while the sled was running I pulled the right side spark plug connector off - the sled died.

I then put the spark plug connector back on and started the sled and pulled the left spark plug connector off while the sled was running - the sled stayed running.

Bad plug wire or something else? Any thoughts would help..

Thanks in advance for the help!

X

xr650r

Oct 28, 2010
donnelly ,Id
phazer

The best Yamaha mechanic I know that can help you works at Birds of Prey in Caldwell , Id
Dont know phone number but you can look up, his name is Rick Hill. Larry

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I have a 93 Phazer that was running great and then all the sudden started running bad. I put new plugs because it ran like I fouled a plug.

Tonight while the sled was running I pulled the right side spark plug connector off - the sled died.

I then put the spark plug connector back on and started the sled and pulled the left spark plug connector off while the sled was running - the sled stayed running.

Bad plug wire or something else? Any thoughts would help..

Thanks in advance for the help!

Near impossible to diagnose with so little info, but a blown crankshaft seal can do that and I have seen that more than once on a Phazer. But first*do a compression test.

B
Oct 16, 2016
update

Details about what has gone on with this Phazer and what I have done to diagnose the problem.

The sled was running great for several weeks and then one day while I was riding it - the sled started running like it was running on one cylinder. I checked the spark plugs and decided to change them because it ran like I fouled a plug. This has happened many of times on other Phazers we owned (and changing the plugs fixed the issue) .

After reading other posts and the recommended next steps I have done a compression check on both cylinders. Each cylinder is showing at 92.

Any thoughts on what is next?

B
Oct 16, 2016
Found the problem

So I started tinkering with the throttle cable and found this to be the issue. Can't believe this was causing the problem.

After moving the throttle cable while it was running the sled died. I then took the plastic off and moved the cable around and found this was the source of the problem.

I appreciate all the updates and help provided! You all rock! Hope this helps someone else when they start working on an old Phazer for the kids. Needless to say my wife and kids will be happy to have this sled fixed so they can continue riding!

All the best to ya,

Blizzardking

A
Jan 13, 2012
Central Washington
That sounds like the TORS (Throttle Overide System). The connections on the wires you'll find on the carburetor at the throttle linkage can be jumped to make it run in an emergency. The purpose of the TORS is to kill the engine if the throttle sticks open.

Also get a new engine to frame ground strap and make sure the connections on it are good and clean and tight.

Last edited:

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Every issue I have ever had with a phazer has to do with the carbs. Remove, dissemble, clean, inspect repair and install.

Premium Features