For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Video Cameras All things Video

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Currently: Not set.
Yaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hexo + drone

Wanted to get a drone for mountain riding. Know nothing about them but since I can't get out west enough I don't think any of us want to waste time flying it instead of riding. Which leads me to the hexo plus that follows you. Obviously this wouldn't be good for tree riding so that's a bummer. But I would think on hill climbs and such it would be sweet. Any thoughts or experience?

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 06-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Currently: currently looking for work to support my habit
bholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond repute

I don't own one and have no experience flying them but have a few friends who do fly them. Drones have their place for sure. However realize that they are really susceptible to wind conditions. quads and hex's are very light for a reason so wind really unbalances them in flight. How often do you ride in completely calm wind. Altitude effects flight time do to thinner air which provides less lift. realistic flight times for them run around 10-12 minutes fully charged. So unless you have a very long extension cord or want to carry a ton of batteries with you they become less and less appealing to use for most activities. Marketing paints a pretty picture of this thing thing magically following you around all day using only your phone. in reality that is not quite the case

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 06-08-2016, 06:40 AM
Currently: Not set.
Yaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond reputeYaeger34 has a reputation beyond repute

That is sort of what I was thinking. I just need it to hear it from someone else and will probably wait a few years and see how they advance.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:07 AM
Currently: Doing the snow dance
Jblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond reputeJblaze74 has a reputation beyond repute

My phantom 4 is super smooth, even in 15mph wind, any more and its tough to control. The autonomous flight options that are coming out are very technical, but could be done in the backcountry. In tight trees no, above the alpine yes! If your looking for ease of use, it's getting closer. But i'd agree for snowmobiling its not there yet.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 06-08-2016, 01:34 PM
Currently: currently looking for work to support my habit
bholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond reputebholmlate has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i have heard the Phantom has developed into a solid platform for sure. Due to their popularity quad and hex's their technology is improving very quickly. and with GPS and wi-fi having these things follow you around is definitely a matter of time. The Hex + platform looks like a nice platform as well. I know the small Lilly platform that was being promoted a year ago was similar and had promise of following you around as well but the last i heard they did not raise enough capital to go into development ot are still trying to raise it.