For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Arctic Cat: Powder Special and older 2000 and older, all models in the Powder Special chassis and older chassis models

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2016, 04:42 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
MontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud of
Default 1993 Arcitc Cat EXT 580 WILL NOT START - Stumped...

Here's how it started.

Bought used Snowmobile In Jan, ran fine the first day.

Took out on first outing shortly after that. It took forever to get started once on the trail and ran really rough. Finally got it running but not well. I had added Seafoam per a friend recommendation when I first got it and thought that was causing the rough run possibly. Thought that maybe just ride it for a bit and it would resolve itself

Rode it 20 miles then it just died.

Didn't think to check gas cause there was NO WAY it would have run out of gas, and the gas gauge is broken. Sure enough it ran out of gas, and it was a full tank.

Got it back home added some gas again tried to get it running, noticed gas was leaking from somewhere.

Decided to take out carbs and rebuild.

Lo and Behold one of the Bowl lines was missing the hose drain plug so gas was just draining out the bottom of one of the carbs!

I decided to take them completely apart and clean the snot out of them, added new jets, cleaned them really good, reinstalled with a new Fuel filter and the damn thing won't start.

So we thought maybe just needed a little gas in them to get primed. So we added gas to the carbs and got it running.

Had to remain on full choke in order to stay running. When switched to half or off it would run really rough at half then die when the choke was off.

So obviously it is not getting enough fuel.

Fuel seemed to be going into the filter and the fuel pump but wasn't really coming out of the lines going to the carbs.

So I rebuilt the fuel pump and didn't change a thing.

Checked the vacuum line and the plug that goes into the engine thinking maybe the vacuum is not pulling the fuel through correctly. Well that looks good too.

I am at a loss of what else to look at and try?

Any thought or ideas are appreciated!!!

Last edited by MontanaKyle; 03-20-2016 at 10:55 PM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-20-2016, 06:41 PM
Currently: and here we have a monkey with 4 asses
Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,618 Posts
Mafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond reputeMafesto has a reputation beyond repute

Have you cleaned the carbs?

That has to be a EXT Special.
In my opinion, this was the best sled in 1993!
(triple lovers will say xlt special, but they're wrong!)
Throw up some pics when you get a chance!

Member of South Dakota Snowmobile Assn.

Support the sport you love, join a club & get involved!

Remember, Pig & Elephant DNA just don't splice

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-20-2016, 08:45 PM
Basic Member
Sledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond repute

float out of adjustment, needle out of adjustment,

You have good spark and compression?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 03-20-2016, 09:56 PM
rpmboy has a reputation beyond reputerpmboy has a reputation beyond reputerpmboy has a reputation beyond reputerpmboy has a reputation beyond reputerpmboy has a reputation beyond reputerpmboy has a reputation beyond reputerpmboy has a reputation beyond reputerpmboy has a reputation beyond reputerpmboy has a reputation beyond reputerpmboy has a reputation beyond reputerpmboy has a reputation beyond repute

re-clean the carbs they ate still plugged up,pull everything out i.e pilot jet needle/seat ect and use brake clean and compressed air

Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 PM
Basic Member
MontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud ofMontanaKyle has much to be proud of

It's the mountain cat.

Yes I took the carbs apart and soaked them in that engine/carb cleaner for more than 24 hours.

Cleaned everything and put in brand new jets. I do not think they need cleaned, you could have eaten off them they were so clean when I was done.

I reassembled them exactly as I took them apart.

Also as I stated I just rebuilt the fuel pump.

So the fuel pump will get fuel into it but not into the carbs. The vacuum hose is good, the vacuum plug into the engine looks good.

Before it quit running because of a lost plug for the float bowl drain hose it ran fine. It wasn't until after it completely ran out of gas because that stupid plug was missing did I have this problem crop up. I just don't know what else to look at or try?

I'm probably just gonna at leas take the carbs apart again, check everything out and reassemble them but they were clean as a whistle after I took them apart and put new jets in.

I am getting fuel from the tank, into the fuel filter and into the fuel pump just fine. Just doesn't seem to come out of the fuel pump!

The way we got it running after reassembling was adding fuel into the carbs directly, then it would run at full choke, but as soon as we flipped the choke switch to the middle it ran worse, then if you flip the choke switch off it just quit. Like it was getting starved for fuel.

Now it won't start without starter fluid and then will not stay running.

Compression is good, spark is good.

Like I said I've checked all the obvious stuff I'm just at a loss now!

And yes it is a sweet sled. I initially got it for me, then upgraded to a 2006 Skido Rev 800 and using the EXT for my wife. She prefers the older sleds so far.

Here's a few pics. I've already removed one carb after rebuilding the pump and trying to get it to start.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_222311.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	268857   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_222333.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	268858   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_222358.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	268859  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_222420.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	268860  

Old 03-20-2016, 10:44 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledbrain2 View Post
float out of adjustment, needle out of adjustment,

You have good spark and compression?
I just put them back in exactly as they were, would I need to readjust them if it was working before I took it all apart?

Old 03-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Basic Member
Sledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond reputeSledbrain2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never took a Mikuni float out, I have adjusted the needle valve buy moving the clip up when going up in elevation, if that were out of spec it would be boggy off the line should not give you any issues starting or idling, If the float is stuck it could restrict gas going in, easy way to check is to remove and see if you can blow air into, should be no restriction. I doubt this the issue, Also can turn carb up side down and see if you can blow air into, should not be able to blow any air into carb, if so then float is letting gas in and flooding. To me it sounds like a fuel pump issue, either the pick up or pump itself.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:48 PM
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledbrain2 View Post
I have never took a Mikuni float out, I have adjusted the needle valve buy moving the clip up when going up in elevation, if that were out of spec it would be boggy off the line should not give you any issues starting or idling, If the float is stuck it could restrict gas going in, easy way to check is to remove and see if you can blow air into, should be no restriction. I doubt this the issue, Also can turn carb up side down and see if you can blow air into, should not be able to blow any air into carb, if so then float is letting gas in and flooding. To me it sounds like a fuel pump issue, either the pick up or pump itself.
Where would you blow into the carb at?

I rebuilt the fuel pump so it is hard to imagine that being the issue. And when I took it apart it looked good as well.

And where is the pick up?

Thanks I really appreciate it!!! Can;t wait to resolve this.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Basic Member

gas inlet, is where you blow. The pick up are inside of the tank. I had a 93 ext never had an issue with fuel pick up. I did have an issue with the smart valves fuel pick up on an 02 efi, not sure if the carb sleds had smart valves. I believe there is no fuel filter so there has to be a screen on the pick ups. I have no idea how you get into the tank. If you pull the line from tank and get good flow with gravity, if so that is not your issue. Pull fuel line from carb, have someone pull the rope if you get a good stream the pump is not your issue.

Those carbs have a throttle safety mechanism where if the slide freeze up it will kill the spark, might be something to investigate.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:12 AM
Basic Member
Old 03-25-2016, 04:39 PM
Basic Member
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 03-30-2016, 11:59 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 03-31-2016, 12:24 AM
sno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond reputesno*jet has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 03-31-2016, 04:44 PM
MODERATOR: Premium Member
Idcatman3 has a reputation beyond reputeIdcatman3 has a reputation beyond reputeIdcatman3 has a reputation beyond reputeIdcatman3 has a reputation beyond reputeIdcatman3 has a reputation beyond reputeIdcatman3 has a reputation beyond reputeIdcatman3 has a reputation beyond reputeIdcatman3 has a reputation beyond reputeIdcatman3 has a reputation beyond reputeIdcatman3 has a reputation beyond reputeIdcatman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

Old 04-01-2016, 07:26 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 04-17-2016, 08:00 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register