For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Cameras All things Still Photography

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Currently: Know the avalanche conditions before you go out.
jbsleds has a reputation beyond reputejbsleds has a reputation beyond reputejbsleds has a reputation beyond reputejbsleds has a reputation beyond reputejbsleds has a reputation beyond reputejbsleds has a reputation beyond reputejbsleds has a reputation beyond reputejbsleds has a reputation beyond reputejbsleds has a reputation beyond reputejbsleds has a reputation beyond reputejbsleds has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Default A less expensive on-sled camera?

It's great watching the videos people are making. But those cameras are pretty expensive.

I'm wondering if a person could use something like a Kodak Playsport to do the same thing. They are waterproof, threaded for a tripod and cost less than $120.

It looks like you'd need some kind of a mount that clamps to the handlebars or mounts to the sled in some way. Maybe just one of those flexible camera tripods and some duct tape! Or, something else . . .?

Anyone done anything like this? If so, how'd you do it? Pics of your mount would help.

Have fun! Ride safe!

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Currently: Currently: Currently: Currently: Currently: Currently: Currently: Currently: Currently:
wag13 has a reputation beyond reputewag13 has a reputation beyond reputewag13 has a reputation beyond reputewag13 has a reputation beyond reputewag13 has a reputation beyond reputewag13 has a reputation beyond reputewag13 has a reputation beyond reputewag13 has a reputation beyond reputewag13 has a reputation beyond reputewag13 has a reputation beyond reputewag13 has a reputation beyond repute

i would say yeah you could get like a FLIP video camera at walmart or that Kodak thing and google RAM MOUNTS (cause in my opinion they are the best) and just mount the camera onto the suction mount and you should be good to go.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Currently: Not set.
SnoWest Paid Sponsor
F-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeF-Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

jbsleds...go to liquid image company www.liquidimageco.com and check out the POV goggle camera system called "summit series" for snow. $250 for a 720HD that is built right into the very good quality goggle. Fully contained into the goggle with a 4 gb micro sd card and a USB port rechargable cell phone style battery system. I've gotten pretty close to 1.4-1.5 hours of straight video in extreme wet and cold environment testing. Super inexpensive way to have fun with an excellent quality 100% POINT OF VIEW camera plus.

In short order you will ruin a camera system that is not designed to take the extreme environment of wet cold and high impact like you will get on your sled. Save the time money and energy and look into this goggle. THEY ARE FLAT OUT FUN AND VERY COOL.

I have a PRO PROGRAM going right now on this product for a testers discount. PM me for details if you are interested. Limited time and numbers of people needed to participate. We only have a few spaces left as we have several of these running around throughout the western us being tested daily on sleds.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Currently: TEARING UP THE NORTH WEST!!!
suitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond reputesuitcase has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

You can get the Contour HP now for about 120 bucks, it is in 780, but for the normal person it puts out real nice solid footage.
2014 Pro Climb 800 153
MEMBER...TEAM HALFCASE
OSSA Sno-Drifters
PUBLIC ACCESS !!!

TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK!!!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Basic Member
actionjack84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I decided to delete my post to another sled web. You can find several inexpensive options on ebay. There was on in the past few days for $28! that an HCS user posted actual video from on Youtube. Not great quality but at $28 who cares. That same camera can regularly be had for around $100 and it has a remote to activate recording. Something the GoPro needs.

Last edited by actionjack84; 04-20-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Currently: waiting for snow again
SUMMITREV has a reputation beyond reputeSUMMITREV has a reputation beyond reputeSUMMITREV has a reputation beyond reputeSUMMITREV has a reputation beyond reputeSUMMITREV has a reputation beyond reputeSUMMITREV has a reputation beyond reputeSUMMITREV has a reputation beyond reputeSUMMITREV has a reputation beyond reputeSUMMITREV has a reputation beyond reputeSUMMITREV has a reputation beyond reputeSUMMITREV has a reputation beyond repute

Gopro has a remote option for it along with about an option you could want from night vision to lcd screen to flat lenses. Gopro costs more but after getting one they are worth every penny and the only way to go

The Following User Says Thank You to SUMMITREV For This Useful Post:
actionjack84 (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Basic Member
actionjack84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMITREV View Post
Gopro has a remote option for it along with about an option you could want from night vision to lcd screen to flat lenses. Gopro costs more but after getting one they are worth every penny and the only way to go
Not yet they don't. But looks like they will before I ride my sled again (on snow). Thanks for the heads up. It will give it Wifi too. cool.

Agreed GoPro makes great video and those cheapos don't compare but they are cheap.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Currently: inmoto
Basic Member
dragoon13 has a reputation beyond reputedragoon13 has a reputation beyond reputedragoon13 has a reputation beyond reputedragoon13 has a reputation beyond reputedragoon13 has a reputation beyond reputedragoon13 has a reputation beyond reputedragoon13 has a reputation beyond reputedragoon13 has a reputation beyond reputedragoon13 has a reputation beyond reputedragoon13 has a reputation beyond reputedragoon13 has a reputation beyond repute

picked up a drift innovation 720p with three different mounts and a remote for a buck 20.. more user friendly than the old go pros. working great so far.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Currently: Wanting more snow.
Basic Member
Krod3715 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default some choices.

I currently have a GoPro Hero3 silver. They retail for around $299, but I got mine online for $230, a little over your budget but I have 0 complaints about it except you will need to buy a micro as card.

GoPro also makes the white edition, retails for $199 it's just got less features, but a GoPro is a GoPro. You could easily find it for $180. (They come with 2 helmet mounts)

Sony makes an action cam called the Sony as10, you could find it for around $125 online. I don't have one but I've heard it's like the gopro white without WiFi built in. Also comes with mounts.

Emerson makes the Emerson Action cam for around $45. Price comes with a cost though, as its less durable, less battery, and less video features. If it breaks you only lose $45. You will also have to do some jockeying with the mounts to make them fit.

Thanks for reading this, do some reading elsewhere to find more info. All for these come with a water proof case.