For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Yamaha: Boosted Sleds (Turbo or Supercharged) Turbo discussion for Yamaha aftermarket Turbo or Super Charged sleds.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Currently: EVOLVING
Turbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cam Timing How Too

I figured since I just did it I would do a write up on it. If there is something i miss or need correction on please feel free to point it out.

I am going to start assuming that you have the valve cover off. Also please reference the service manual for cam removal and torque specs and sequeances. If you dont have one you can find them on ebay or online for $5 for the cd of the service manual. It is very worth having.

Pic of the tools needed.

1. Mount the degree wheel on the clutch(vector and nytro).
2. Fab a pointer off a rigid point on the motor. That goes to the degree wheel.
3. Set the motor at TDC on the cylinder closest to the cam chain. Do this by lining up the timing mark on the flywheel and the mag cover.
4. Set the degree wheel to 0 degrees TDC.
5. Loosen the cam chain tensioner with small straight screwdriver. I removed it from the engine.
6. !!!!!VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! Do NOT turn the engine over after this step until the the tensioner has been reinstalled.
7. You can either remove the cams now and remove the gears to slot them or you can just remove the gears and slot them. ****be careful to not drop the bolts into the crankcase.
8. Keep good track of which gears go to the intake and exhaust as you do not want to get this screwed up. It would be best to mark them with a tag or a sharpie.
9. When looking at the gears, slot from the side with the stamped writing. Slot the Holes on the exhaust cam clockwise about half way to the next hole in the gear. Slot the intake gear counterclockwise aprox half way to the next gear. Use care when doing this.
10. Reinstall gears. Reinstall cams if you removed them.
11. follow service manual for reinstalling cam chain, tensioner, etc.
12. Now you should be able to turn the engine over again. Do so with care, and very slowly for the first couple rotations. Do not force it past any resesitance. Also watch to see that the timing chain has not jumped a tooth.
13. Install tdc stop in the end spark plug hole. I used a bolt i got at the hardware store that matched the spark plug threads I think it was a m10x1.00 and was 50mm long.
14. Now turn the motor over slowly backwards until the piston stops on the stop. Now note the reading of the pointer on the degree wheel. Write it down. Then turn the motor over the corect direction slowly till it stops at the stop again. Note the reading on the degree wheel. A good example would be the first measurement was 104 degrees and the second was 140 degrees. You need to split the number. Mine was closer than that from setting the degree wheel at tdc earlier. Either way what you want to do is split the number. You would get 18 degrees.
15. Loosen and rotate the degree wheel(not the motor) to 0 TDC and then remove the piston stop. Now rotate the motor to 18 degrees. Stop loosen the degree wheel again using care to not rotate the motor and set the degree wheel to 0 TDC once again.
16.Now setup a mag base and dial indicator like shown below. On the intake cam.

17. Set the dial indicator to 0.
NOTE:do not rotate the engine backwards if you go past just rotate forward. this needs to be done to keep the timing chain tension correct int he next steps.
18. Now rotate the engine until the dial indicator reads .040 of valve lift. Write down the reading from the degree wheel. An example would be that i had 5 degrees.
19. Now continue rotating the crank until the dial indicator indicates .040 before closing. EXample I got 46 degrees
20. Now for the math.

Intake cam

OPEN 5 degrees
close 46 degress
add =51
add 180
= 231/2
=115.5
= 110.5

This gives me 110.5 lobe centers.

Now repeat the exhaust side. Always subract the smaller of the opening and closing numbers as seen above.

After having the cams where i wanted them I removed the degree wheel and reinstalled everything again and checked my work once again, I did this 3 times to be sure of my work. It was the same every time. Then I was confident I had done it correct. It was good for peace of mind.

Again, I am no expert I am just trying to help those out there trying to do this themselves. Really it was not that bad to do.

It is also best to set your cams to what your turbo manufacture reccommends. I set mine at 110.5 and 113.5. AS powderlites told me that anything over 110 is really good on the vector motor.

Last edited by Turbo11T; 12-31-2010 at 08:03 AM.

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Turbo11T For This Useful Post:
MNBlizzard (11-19-2013), mtboondocker (10-25-2010), MTN_VIPER (10-27-2013), pus1100 (10-12-2010), RACINSTATION (10-15-2010), smokindave (08-29-2011), Thunderguy BOOSTED (10-14-2010), TTE (10-12-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Currently: Preparing for the winter
pus1100 has a reputation beyond reputepus1100 has a reputation beyond reputepus1100 has a reputation beyond reputepus1100 has a reputation beyond reputepus1100 has a reputation beyond reputepus1100 has a reputation beyond reputepus1100 has a reputation beyond reputepus1100 has a reputation beyond reputepus1100 has a reputation beyond reputepus1100 has a reputation beyond reputepus1100 has a reputation beyond repute

can someone make this thread sticky?

Old 10-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Currently: ahhh back to work
Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
slash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

are you using megacycle gears or moded OE stuff to make adjustments??

Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Turbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo11T has a reputation beyond repute
Default GEars

Quote:
Originally Posted by slash925 View Post
are you using megacycle gears or moded OE stuff to make adjustments??
I slotted my stock gears. You can get slotted gears from Hurricane Performance in canada or others as well. The cost is not bad on them but I had the tools to slot my own so it was much cheaper.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Currently: Go Bucks!
Basic Member
zebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond reputezebiraross has a reputation beyond repute

Nice write up! I'll make this a sticky.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Currently: Not set.
SPOOLED has a reputation beyond reputeSPOOLED has a reputation beyond reputeSPOOLED has a reputation beyond reputeSPOOLED has a reputation beyond reputeSPOOLED has a reputation beyond reputeSPOOLED has a reputation beyond reputeSPOOLED has a reputation beyond reputeSPOOLED has a reputation beyond reputeSPOOLED has a reputation beyond reputeSPOOLED has a reputation beyond reputeSPOOLED has a reputation beyond repute

nice write the only thing i can see that you should have done to get proper readings is to remove the valve lash so at your 040 you will get a proper measurement on the dial indicator. you will get a more accurate reading.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:47 PM
summitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond reputesummitboy has a reputation beyond repute

I may be no expert in this but is the dial indicator really necessary ? If you have the number 3 piston at TDC with the flywheel mark at the I mark and the cams aligned with the cap mark arrows how can you mess it up ? Sure once you slot the gears you need to make sure the cam marks align once again but you can see what .85mm looks like on the arrow. Maybe this is a Powderlites thing. I believe they go a tooth advanced or something like that on either the Ex or Int, not quite sure. This seems to complicate things in my mind, but heh enlighten me LOL

Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitboy View Post
I may be no expert in this but is the dial indicator really necessary ? If you have the number 3 piston at TDC with the flywheel mark at the I mark and the cams aligned with the cap mark arrows how can you mess it up ? Sure once you slot the gears you need to make sure the cam marks align once again but you can see what .85mm looks like on the arrow. Maybe this is a Powderlites thing. I believe they go a tooth advanced or something like that on either the Ex or Int, not quite sure. This seems to complicate things in my mind, but heh enlighten me LOL
This is for cam timing for changing the lobe centers from stock. Not for setting the stock cam timing, though it could be used to check the stock timing as well to be absolutely sure you have it set right.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Currently: Friends dont let friends ride anything but Yamaha,well ok skidoo's too :)
Menace1 has a reputation beyond reputeMenace1 has a reputation beyond reputeMenace1 has a reputation beyond reputeMenace1 has a reputation beyond reputeMenace1 has a reputation beyond reputeMenace1 has a reputation beyond reputeMenace1 has a reputation beyond reputeMenace1 has a reputation beyond reputeMenace1 has a reputation beyond reputeMenace1 has a reputation beyond reputeMenace1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default cam timing

Just wondering what the consensus is for cam timing on turbo nytros. Should you advance both intake and exhaust cam timing or just exhaust or any other way with the head shim installed, thanks.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 PM
powderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond repute
Old 10-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 10-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Basic Member
Archineddy has a brilliant futureArchineddy has a brilliant futureArchineddy has a brilliant futureArchineddy has a brilliant futureArchineddy has a brilliant futureArchineddy has a brilliant futureArchineddy has a brilliant futureArchineddy has a brilliant futureArchineddy has a brilliant futureArchineddy has a brilliant futureArchineddy has a brilliant future

Click Here to Register

Old 07-27-2011, 01:25 PM
powderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond reputepowderlites has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 02-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Currently: <<<THIS SLED IS FOR SALE>>>
Thanked 2,437 Times in 1,356 Posts
AKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond reputeAKSNOWRIDER has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to AKSNOWRIDER For This Useful Post:
powderlites (09-02-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 AM

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to powderlites For This Useful Post:
vmax6 (04-29-2014)
Old 10-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Currently: More Power!!
Rattman has a reputation beyond reputeRattman has a reputation beyond reputeRattman has a reputation beyond reputeRattman has a reputation beyond reputeRattman has a reputation beyond reputeRattman has a reputation beyond reputeRattman has a reputation beyond reputeRattman has a reputation beyond reputeRattman has a reputation beyond reputeRattman has a reputation beyond reputeRattman has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register