• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What bike do you ride?

What bike do you ride with your Mountain Horse Kit?

• Honda CRF450

Votes: 51 8.0%
  • Honda CR500

Votes: 27 4.2%
  • Kawasaki KXF450

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Suzuki RMZ450

Votes: 10 1.6%
  • Yamaha WR450

Votes: 44 6.9%
  • Yamaha YZF450

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • KTM 450

Votes: 73 11.5%
  • KTM 500

Votes: 67 10.5%
  • KTM 505

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • KTM 525

Votes: 29 4.6%
  • KTM 530

Votes: 19 3.0%
  • Husaberg 570

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • Husaberg 650

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • Husqvarna

Votes: 47 7.4%
  • Other

Votes: 92 14.5%

• Total voters

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
We have many prospective customers asking what bikes are the best for the Mountain Horse. I know what we have sold but I don't know how you like the various bikes. Please post what you like about your bike and if you have a dream setup.

Thanks,
Dave @ Timbersled

Y
Nov 26, 2007
likey

i like the electric start, headlight, good torgue, a little more top end might be nice.
Love the nimbleness in the hills but need a bit better trail manners.

Installed hand warmers and rekluse and love it!!!

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
I really like the KX 450. They have great power and never break down. They are easy to kick start; I can even start it with my hands. They are simple to change the oil in and parts are cheap. I also have the best luck with the stock air box not getting snow into them; with a few mods done to the air box I can ride all day in soft deep powder without having to stop and scoop it out. The KX is also bright safety green and when I am stuck my friends can see me to come help me out. LOL!

Last edited:
R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
And will help with next seasons build

We have many prospective customers asking what bikes are the best for the Mountain Horse. I know what we have sold but I don't know how you like the various bikes. Please post what you like about your bike and if you have a dream setup.

Thanks,
Dave @ Timbersled

Glad to help. Keep up the great work. What a fanastic product.:hail:

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
I'm especially interested in this poll, and wonder if the extra power of a motorcrosser is worth giving up electric start, larger tank, and a light?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
you can have a full blown MX bike and E start with the ktm sxf450. with that in mind anyone run the 350 with a kit??

One of my buddies just put a kit on a brand new 350, I believe it's the first 350 to have a MH kit bolted to it. We have rode together twice and it seems to do pretty good. I have also been riding with his brother who bought a new KTM 500 and it does really well to. The nice thing about these injected KTM's is that they don't seem to have any problems with snow in the airbox's and they seem to run good all day long. With that said you won't find me throwing down 8k-9k on a new bike. I finally got my CR500 on the snow this past weekend and it's pretty impressive compared to my 300. The snow was deep but very wet and heavy which really sucked up the hp. There were two of us on CR500's and the KTM 500 and I think all three bikes were very comparable in the power and ability department. My buddies CR500 did a little better than mine because of his gearing (13,17,17,20), so I will be changing my gearing around. The CR500 does have quite a bit more vibration than my 300 did and by the end of the day it was quite noticeable but I think that's something I can get use to. What I like about these CR500's is that they are cheap to buy, maintain, rebuild and they will hang with the 4 stroke race bikes. The big two strokes do have a couple down falls though including the vibrations, carb icing, older chassis and they burn a little more fuel.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
This poll should maybe say "What bike do you WISH to have?".... it's funny how you buy something and then later learn what might work better or what does work better.

I have the WR450 and I think it's a good bike.... it's not perfect but it's good and obviously I have a lot of fun on it. Estart, headlight, ability to put it on the road in the off season, etc. It has a lot of positives.

What bike do I want? The 2011 or 2012 KX450 (and I have one coming! YES!). The bike makes it's power in such a way that it just rips for a snowbike application. EFI is a major plus since you don't have to mess with the carb crap, which I hate and I really suck at. Add the Bazzaz AFR tuner and a FMF Powerbomb full exhaust.... can't be beat and I've yet to see any bike touch the all around nimbleness mixed with raw power that the KX450 has. Add to it Allen's good point that you can start the bike by hand and the Estart looks pointless. Another interesting point, with the Bazzaz tuner the fuel economy is just STUPID!!!! You can put an entire day in for only 2gal of gas sometimes while I'll go through 5gal on my Yamaha. Seriously.... a FULL DAY RIDE for only $8.00? That pays for the kit by itself over couple years!

KX450 is probably the best snowbike available.

Last edited:
R
Feb 5, 2011
Priest Lake
Is a little more power worth the trade off?

I'm especially interested in this poll, and wonder if the extra power of a motorcrosser is worth giving up electric start, larger tank, and a light?

No doubt the super crossers have more power and it will show on the snow.

I run the KTM because of the ease of maintance (from years of ISDE racing) the parts cross-over from model to model (used parts are easy to find) AND charging system for heated grips/headlight (for when you come off the mountain at night).

I am not racing so the extra power does not outweigh the additional maintance required on the super-crosser.

You see at this time my stock '09 KTM 530, has right at 9000 miles as a motorcycle and 5287 miles as a snowbike, for a total of over 14000 miles!!
Is it tired YES, does it still get ridden hard 3 times a week. YES!

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
In our experience at Timbersled we have not found a bad bike yet. I ride with guys that have older 450’s and guys with new bikes. There does not seem to be a big performance difference between any of them as long as they are in good shape. One good thing about the MH kit is that they are all the same kit so if you have an older bike and want to get a newer one, then most likely you will only need to buy a fit kit to adapt it. It is a win, win situation to get started.

Last edited:
R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
One good thing about the MH kit is that they are all the same kit so if you have an older bike and want to get a newer one, then most likely you will only need to buy a fit kit to adapt it.

Does that go for the strut rods too? I was under the impression that those vary from bike to bike.

B
Jan 23, 2012
Colorado
I'm trying to decide if I should get a Husagerg 570 for my next snow bike. I would like a fuel injected bike that I can plate for the summer riding so I can connect trails. Other than a 2012 KTM 450/500 the Husa seems like the only other real option out there.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

whistlerhawk

Premium Member
Mar 23, 2008
Whistler BC
KTM 500 EXC

I have the new KTM 500 EXC. I love it, especially the EFI. No more jetting at altitude issues and flooding when flipping the bike in tree-wells. The e-start is so easy too. I guess this is the same now for most EFI bikes. I think the jump to EFI from the carburator is the biggest luxury. As far as power goes, it seems to pull as much as the rest of the bikes out there on snow. On snow I find one of the biggest differences in performance is weight. Not so much in the bike necessarilly, but in the rider or combine bike/rider weight! In essence, any bike with a track kit gets you out there and that is what is most important. I'd advise that you get the bike that you will be able to handle and enjoy in the summer trails that you ride, and in the winter throw the MH kit on and you will not have any regrets.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
What do you guys think about the KTM 250EXC. I'm just getting into dirtbiking so I got this as a first real bike. I wanted something with less maintenance than a four stroke for now... And really didn't want to have to worry about valves. Would it have enough power for some fun? I've got a Tpro 8 so it will be different in the power department for sure!

J

JTAB

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman Montana
www.lientransportation.com
KX450F

I am very happy with the bike have 5 days riding this season up in Revy.
Put a powercommander V on it and it ran very good from what I understand they need it for altitude adjustments.
Still would like more power, road one of Timbersleds modded KTM's and I loved the extra power.
:face-icon-small-coo

I have seen pictures of the big KTM 690R on Timbersleds website but I have not seen any video of it in action. I would love to have this bike for summer and if it works well in the snow it would be ideal for me. The 2012 690R have a claimed 68HP and 51 lb ft of torque! I know it is heavy but with that power and EFI I would assume it would be fine for some one my size (6'5'' 300lbs). If anyone has one please chime in. Road, dirt, and snow would be awesome year round fun! 50MPG is a great bonus also.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I have seen pictures of the big KTM 690R on Timbersleds website but I have not seen any video of it in action. I would love to have this bike for summer and if it works well in the snow it would be ideal for me. The 2012 690R have a claimed 68HP and 51 lb ft of torque! I know it is heavy but with that power and EFI I would assume it would be fine for some one my size (6'5'' 300lbs). If anyone has one please chime in. Road, dirt, and snow would be awesome year round fun! 50MPG is a great bonus also.

To heavy!! You would be hating life off the trail. If you have the coin get a 450 race bike if you don't you can do like I did and get a CR500.

As an update to my CR500 build I now have 4 rides on it and after some gear and pipe swapping it now rips on the snow. For anybody that has a CR500 or is looking to convert one I would recommend the FMF gnarly pipe and 14-20-17-17 gearing. Prior to the gnarly pipe and above mentioned gearing I tired several different gearing combinations with a PC (pro circuit) pipe and I believe the gnarly and gearing combo mentioned to be optimal from what I have tested. The gnarly pipe alone was a night and day difference, the PC lacks low end torque and like to over rev which equals lots of vibration. The 14-20-17-17 gearing is equal to 13-17-17-20 but in order to get the drive chain down on the sprocket to get my master link in I had to use a c-clamp and press the chain down onto the sprocket, this made the chain tighter than I was comfortable with hence the other option. The only problem with running two 17 tooth sprockets in your chain case is that either the chain is to long or to short so you have two options, you can buy a half link and keep the idler/tension sprocket or you can remove the idler/tension sprocket along with the two aluminum standoff's. I didn't have a half link and was planning on riding the next day so I chose option two and it actually works really well and I don't feel that the chain is much looser than I would run it with the idler/tension sprocket, let put it this way I couldn't get the master on without taking one of the sprockets off.

Before I figured out the pipe and gearing combination that I am now running I was pretty disappointed in the CR500, I rode my buddies 12' KTM 500 and it made my CR500 feel like a turd. At that point I was pissed and about ready to sell the CR500 but after I cooled off a bit I decided to try my buddies gnarly pipe and I felt the gearing was not optimal I couldn't hold track speed because I was over revving third and couldn't hold 4th so I geared up a little and am loving the bike now. With my current setup I have rode the last two weekends with that same KTM500 and the CR500 definitely has a power advantage over the KTM500 and I think it handles better too. I will say that after riding that KTM 500 with a new (12') timbersled kit I think the newer suspension is much plusher than the first year kits and for some reason they roll a lot easier than any first year kit I have been around.

With the good comes the bad and the vibration of the CR500 at the handle bars is something you will definitely notice. With the PC pipe the vibrations were almost unbearable by the end of the day due to having to rev the engine so high to get it on the pipe. With the gnarly pipe I would say the vib's are almost cut in half and although they are still noticeable I can now tolerate it.

I should also mention the fuel mileage because that is something that has been brought up several times as a disadvantage to running a 2stroke. My only real comparison is with the above mentioned 2012 KTM 500 and an near as either one of us can tell they are nearly identical in fuel consumption which really surprised me. This CR500 burns less fuel than my KTM 300 which makes no sense but I guess it is what it is.

So if your looking for a cheap bike that's easy to maintain and has more than enough power to hang with those expensive, loud, thumpers I would say the CR500 is a very good option.

I just sold my 2004 KX500 and bought a KTM 2002 380 EXC last summer. I miss the power of the 500 but in the tight mountain trails of western Wyoming where I ride the KTM is so much less effort to ride. I guess I could put a kit on my 380, but I just don't think it has the power to perform like I want. That 690 is a heavy bike I figured it would be like riding a Yamaha sled. They are great, reliable sleds just dang heavy. Thanks for the input. I would still like to hear from anyone who has ridden the 690R on the snow. I think the owner of Timbersled is the one riding the 690R in the photos on the website.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
Gary, I really appreciate your posts. They are thorough, objective and very informative. Thanks for your investment in the snow bike industry.

Premium Features