• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is chewing through rubber ski stops common?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
would like to know the cost before ordering.... as long as the cost is not unreasonable, I am in for 5 sets (black).

Around $45 each.

Only red available.

(I believe its melted polyurethane suspension bushings)
Like from 4x4 truck parts......

Last edited:

DuraPro

DuraPro - Perfection by Design™
Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2017
Evergreen, Colorado
www.DuraProUSA.com
I'm sure it's not coincidence that I came across this thread today, as I've actually been working on a polyurethane ski stop recently (for replacement Polaris part #5415230). I certainly don't want to step on any toes, but it's worth mentioning.

My cousin and I have many years of experience in elastomers making custom vehicle lift kits and hope to have the ski stop finalized here in the next 2-3 weeks... just in time for the upcoming season.

It was something that we were working on for only our own sleds, but it seems like there's quite of bit of interest...

Made in the good ol' USA and I guarantee they will be cheaper than shipping and customs fees from Sweden. :)

Last edited:
S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
soooo how much are you wanting for a set??? are they going to fill the whole saddle like gulfi's?? {my riding season started a month ago and I started the season with a new set but their about shot so I need a set last week!!} I don't know the part # bit im assuming that they are for the grippers?

DuraPro

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2017
Evergreen, Colorado
www.DuraProUSA.com
Your riding season started a month ago!? That's awesome! I'm jealous :face-icon-small-ton

I'll have to get back to you regarding price here in the next couple of days, but I would definitely like to do something given the HUGE response I've received in just the past few hours.

To address your other questions: Yes, they fill the entire saddle.

Yes, they fit the gripper skis (the specific mold we used was from a brand new 2018 ski off of an Axys ProRMK).

I don't know too much about the gripper skis, but I'm assuming that all the late models are the same? Anyone please speak up if that is not correct.

The elastomer we are going with will be around the same stiffness as OEM... perhaps a bit more rigid.

Again, realistically, I would say 2-3 weeks. Guess it depends on how much sleep I want to get. :face-icon-small-dis

Thanks for everyone's interest so far.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
sleep hAHaHahAHah......haha sleep if for those people that don't ride\work\have a wife\3kids and hobbies!! if I don't get sleep you don't need to ether .... right? soooo you going to have those made up in 2-3 DAYS hmm good man keep us posted !!! and remember no sleeping on your off time im watching :D

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Your riding season started a month ago!? That's awesome! I'm jealous :face-icon-small-ton

I'll have to get back to you regarding price here in the next couple of days, but I would definitely like to do something given the HUGE response I've received in just the past few hours.

To address your other questions: Yes, they fill the entire saddle.

Yes, they fit the gripper skis (the specific mold we used was from a brand new 2018 ski off of an Axys ProRMK).

I don't know too much about the gripper skis, but I'm assuming that all the late models are the same? Anyone please speak up if that is not correct.

The elastomer we are going with will be around the same stiffness as OEM... perhaps a bit more rigid.

Again, realistically, I would say 2-3 weeks. Guess it depends on how much sleep I want to get. :face-icon-small-dis

Thanks for everyone's interest so far.

All gripper ski’s are the same.
The hardware changed from standard to metric in 2011.
No change in the plastic part.

DuraPro

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2017
Evergreen, Colorado
www.DuraProUSA.com
sleep hAHaHahAHah......haha sleep if for those people that don't ride\work\have a wife\3kids and hobbies!! if I don't get sleep you don't need to ether .... right? soooo you going to have those made up in 2-3 DAYS hmm good man keep us posted !!! and remember no sleeping on your off time im watching :D

You forgot to add comedian to your arsenal of things that keep you busy. Hehe! :face-icon-small-hap

sheetmetalfab, thank you for your verification!

DuraPro

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2017
Evergreen, Colorado
www.DuraProUSA.com
This project is a GO!

Moving ahead and no turning back at this point...

I've brought in a good friend into the mix who's a head materials engineer at Ball Aerospace. If anyone can perfect the elastomer mix and design it's him. He's going over everything we have and will get back with me later this weekend... then it's production time. At that point in time I can also have a price per set, since we'll know what elastomer we are going with.

As of now, if all goes well, we can begin shipping these the first week of December. If you are even remotely interested please shoot me a PM. Thank you

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Boondockdawg,

You mention you are working on a replacement ski stop of close to the same stiffness as OEM. You haven't said that you expect it to be better quality or last longer than stock we can only assume that. Can you explain what you expect your results to be with your replacement ski stops?
Thanks

DuraPro

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2017
Evergreen, Colorado
www.DuraProUSA.com
mountaincat 800,

I would be happy to go into more detail. My original intention with the help of my cousin was to create a ski stop that was not only better quality than OEM, but would also last MUCH longer. Up until yesterday, I thought that my problem with these stops were a bit unique. Wow, what an eye-opener this thread has been as to the widespread problem these inferior stops actually are!

With our experience in elastomers and when we find the right mix, our stop will be more resistant to temperature, cracking, tearing, swelling, breaking, abrasion, friction, and vibration, than the stock OEM rubber one. Furthermore, the rebound / resilience and tensile strengths will be much better too. This all equates to better and more predictable long-term performance on the snow (In our opinion these OEM rubber ones are breaking down partly due to internal over-heating in the field).

Aesthetically our quality should be superior to the OEM and other aftermarket ones also. For example, better part lines, no air bubbles, consistent color, etc. We are both perfectionists by nature and this particular pet project won't be any different than any others we've done.

In my opinion, ours should last the life of the ski as there's no reason whatsoever that these stops should be a wear item.

Please let me know if there's others questions. Thank you

F
Sep 11, 2014
Hopefully this does not cause anyone to get upset.... I posted I want 5 sets, and that has not changed. But I will be buying from the first person that can get them to me. Mine and several of my buddies are blown out and I want to get a set before I start riding this year. Otherwise, I'll have to buy stockers until these are available. Obviously no one wants to waste money on a set of stockers....

Cheers,
Chris

Premium Features