• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Home made alpha skid, first ride

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Can you post a pic or 2 how is the Wheel mod holding up.
I'm not sure how you can stay off the Alpha long enough to really test it though.....
Thanks

Been riding my 19’ alpha so much the home-made alpha hasn’t got much seat time. Probably only put 150ish miles on it since I built it. It seems to carve just as well as the real alpha. For the home-made job to really go to the next level it’s needs a little tweaking, but not much. I’m happy that in the miles I’ve put on it nothing has broken or come apart. Honestly I have too many sleds and since this is the oldest it’s for sale. If anyone local to Salt Lake City wants the 153 alpha skid to use as a project I’d give it to the right person. I just put the sled it was on back to a 2 rail sled so I could sell it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have a 153" rear skid on my 15. If your skid would work, I would absolutely be interested in buying it. My 15 is already dialed in with clutching, 3" and a belt drive. All it's missing is an Alpha skid...... I will send you a PM.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
It was a fun project for the end of the 17/18 season since we had little snow. The home made alpha rail worked pretty well. I sold it to a guy a couple months ago who I hope will use it.
I did see some pics of a king kat (essentially a yammi) with an alpha skid. Coming from a few pretty modded 1100t cats, I’d really like to ride a king kat or yami with a alpha skid, I bet it would be a riot!!

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
I did one on my sidewinder. Worked awesome but the track was to flexible and it wouldn’t hold an edge. I’m gonna put my alpha skid and track under it this year and see how it works.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I would like to see an Alpha skid tried out in an AXYS chassis. Would be fun.

I have an extra 165 alpha rail. I may build some arms for it this summer and try it on my 850 axys when it comes in. Still not 100% convinced the alpha rail is the best thing out there for extreme boondocking. It is easier to ride, but in extreme tree riding my twin rail 18’ cat seemed a little more predictable to me.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
I have an extra 165 alpha rail. I may build some arms for it this summer and try it on my 850 axys when it comes in. Still not 100% convinced the alpha rail is the best thing out there for extreme boondocking. It is easier to ride, but in extreme tree riding my twin rail 18’ cat seemed a little more predictable to me.

That's my biggest fear with my new 2020 alfa. I love my 18 And how predictable and comfortable it is for my riding style. I'm a little worried about how the alfa is going to be to ride in the trees and technical terrain. On my t-3 with t-motion I hated that sled until I locked out the t-motion then it was great. I plan on doing the elevate on my alfa but a little concerned about it's handling for me. I just hope I can adapt to it or a twin rail skid will go back in it.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That's my biggest fear with my new 2020 alfa. I love my 18 And how predictable and comfortable it is for my riding style. I'm a little worried about how the alfa is going to be to ride in the trees and technical terrain. On my t-3 with t-motion I hated that sled until I locked out the t-motion then it was great. I plan on doing the elevate on my alfa but a little concerned about it's handling for me. I just hope I can adapt to it or a twin rail skid will go back in it.

The only downfall/drawback to the Alpha is, firm snow on sidehills at slow speeds,
It will "washout". You have to be easy on the throttle. Any track spin and the back is sliding down.
In May/June type snow, it had me so frustrated that i bought a 162 skid to throw in my Alpha. Then i rode my Seahawk, its a 14/16 M8000. Yes it held a sidehill better on hard snow but every other aspect took much more effort.
My Alpha is so much easier to ride all day long that i have energy left when my sled is out of fuel! It's been a lot of years since my sled ran out of fuel before my body did....

Clips on Alpha track hit both shocks top and bottom with twin rail skid. At over $200 dollars to replace track clips, i decided not to cut them and try the twin rail skid with the Alpha track.
77ac43aacc420dc1234c761f1a5aaed9.jpg

Polaris

F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
Madmax check your inbox.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The only downfall/drawback to the Alpha is, firm snow on sidehills at slow speeds,
It will "washout". You have to be easy on the throttle. Any track spin and the back is sliding down.
In May/June type snow, it had me so frustrated that i bought a 162 skid to throw in my Alpha. Then i rode my Seahawk, its a 14/16 M8000. Yes it held a sidehill better on hard snow but every other aspect took much more effort.
My Alpha is so much easier to ride all day long that i have energy left when my sled is out of fuel! It's been a lot of years since my sled ran out of fuel before my body did....

Clips on Alpha track hit both shocks top and bottom with twin rail skid. At over $200 dollars to replace track clips, i decided not to cut them and try the twin rail skid with the Alpha track.
77ac43aacc420dc1234c761f1a5aaed9.jpg

Polaris

So you are running the Alpha track with the twin rail and there are no clips where the rails run? Must be bad when snow is low to be sliding on the bare rubber?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
So you are running the Alpha track with the twin rail and there are no clips where the rails run? Must be bad when snow is low to be sliding on the bare rubber?
Can't run the twin rail, you would cut the shocks off before u damage the track.
The shocks are in the center of the sled, so are the Alpha clips, They hit the shocks hard.
I want to try the Track on twin rails but couldn't commit to cutting the track clips down to clear shocks. If the clips weren't $200, i would have just cut them.

Polaris

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Summ8rmk, can you get measurements of the rear Alpha arm? The upper Alpha arm looks shorter than the twin rail design? Also are the bolt ctr's closer together on the lower swing hangers? I am in the process of making an on ctr design. The bottom of the shocks will not rub, but the top is my concern! Does the top of ea. shock rub in static, or when suspension starts to compress matter get worse? I have made my clips, will probably adjust height down on the ctr. guide if needed (.440 tall presently) Thanks, any info would be appreciated Mike

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I am sure it is shorter due to the 10" rear wheel, to limit travel? If they had a taller drop bracket then the current 2 rail design could be used? I would assume this would screw with the rate of compression with the given shock design? I would assume that is why they switched to the coil overs, and re-valved the current air shocks? Mike

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Summ8rmk, can you get measurements of the rear Alpha arm? The upper Alpha arm looks shorter than the twin rail design? Also are the bolt ctr's closer together on the lower swing hangers? I am in the process of making an on ctr design. The bottom of the shocks will not rub, but the top is my concern! Does the top of ea. shock rub in static, or when suspension starts to compress matter get worse? I have made my clips, will probably adjust height down on the ctr. guide if needed (.440 tall presently) Thanks, any info would be appreciated Mike

I measuredly twin rail arm vs alpha arm. Not exact measurements, done with measuring tape in the trailer. The rear scissor arm on the alpha is about 9.5" ctc, 18' twin rail 11.5". So the alpha arm about 2' shorter.

Premium Features