• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1/2 Ton Diesel

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Seen it on the dash display and hand calculated at the pumps on 3 different ones over the last year.

All 3 are crew cab, 6.5' bed with max payload and max towing packages. 3.5 eco with the 10 speed. All 3 are pretty much identical as far as options.

The numbers in your post look more like the ones with the older 6 speed tranny that guys were getting in the 2013-2016 models, but I'm pretty sure they dropped that completely in 2017????

Christopher, how many miles a year do you drive? Towing and non-towing? Any idea?

WOW 10 speeds …. A prius can out race the manual 5 speed in our Powerstrokes :face-icon-small-blu

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Seen it on the dash display and hand calculated at the pumps on 3 different ones over the last year.

All 3 are crew cab, 6.5' bed with max payload and max towing packages. 3.5 eco with the 10 speed. All 3 are pretty much identical as far as options.

The numbers in your post look more like the ones with the older 6 speed tranny that guys were getting in the 2013-2016 models, but I'm pretty sure they dropped that completely in 2017????

?

So far as I know, FUELLY.COM is the very best resource for track real world fuel milage on all vehicles.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150?engineconfig_id=102&bodytype_id=14&submodel_id=

Fuel.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher, how many miles a year do you drive? Towing and non-towing? Any idea?

12-18K total miles per year lately.

Towing is a TINY fraction of that.
Most weekends its 150 miles RT to Island Park and back again.

300 miles RT to Togwotte
640 miles RT to Cooke City

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
if you add up the cost of the diesel, the fuel price difference, and the maintenance difference the gasser is still the better option. And it sits at 470 lbfttq already without more cost to tune it, and if you do tune the gasser its even further ahead. I have a 3.5 eb in a taurus and tuned it is a WHOLE different animal. I do have a 6.7 psd I'm sure ford did a nice job but I don't see the need unless ford needs it to push up the fleet MPG. just my.02

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
if you add up the cost of the diesel, the fuel price difference, and the maintenance difference the gasser is still the better option. And it sits at 470 lbfttq already without more cost to tune it, and if you do tune the gasser its even further ahead. I have a 3.5 eb in a taurus and tuned it is a WHOLE different animal. I do have a 6.7 psd I'm sure ford did a nice job but I don't see the need unless ford needs it to push up the fleet MPG. just my.02

Clearly there is a LOT of power still left to be extracted from that engine.

picture.php

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Love the 3.5 ecoboost, but man they suck at engine braking. Will barely slow down with a sled in the bed, can't even imagine how it would be with a 4 sled trailer.

Have learned to deal with the bad engine braking, but many a pass it's either go way too slow or way too fast, unless you want to ride the brakes.

So if the little diesel engine brakes, that could be nice.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Love the 3.5 ecoboost, but man they suck at engine braking. Will barely slow down with a sled in the bed, can't even imagine how it would be with a 4 sled trailer.

Have learned to deal with the bad engine braking, but many a pass it's either go way too slow or way too fast, unless you want to ride the brakes.

So if the little diesel engine brakes, that could be nice.

The video here suggests its not all that outstanding either.
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442949

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
This post is more applicable to this thread not the 3.0 PSD thread so I reposted it here. Oops

Christopher, I can tell your a thoughtful guy with all the research you’ve been posting regarding the 1/2 ton vs hd decision. I’ve had to make that decision recently myself.

I live in the Midwest so a snowmobile trip out west for me is 3000 miles round trip. We do that twice each year with some other family trips around Wisconsin. So I tow about 8,000 miles snowmobiling/year. I also tow my 8,500 lb boat about 1,200 miles each year.

I had a 2011 3.5 ecoboost that I drove for 60,000 miles and now have a 2017 f-350 SRW 6.7 PSD. Both trucks were CC short box. In between these two trucks I had a 2016 Chevy 2500 hd ( I got rid of it way too many problems).

The 3.5 ecoboost is an absolute monster, and now that it has the 10 speed I am sure it’s even better. I know the number don’t say it, but it felt like it had the same power as the stock LML on my 2500 hd. I did plenty of 400 mike tows with an 8,000 lb enclosed trailer. It was absolutely no problem. Now the 6.7 is on a whole different level when it comes to towing. I think most of that is due to stability of the chassis/truck itself. The power is obviously noticeable but not as much as you may think (for the 8,000 lb load). Now the f350 really shines in the 18 hour long tow session. You don’t know the trailer is back there so there is no driver fatigue.

I believe the 3.5 ecoboost is more capable than the f-150 chassis, but there are a few things you can do to drastically improve that. The most important is to get some D range or 10 ply tires the minute you drive it off the lot. The other is to get air bags for the rear end. Third is the weight distribution hitch.

The ride difference between 150 and 350 is huge. The 150 turns easier, sharper, and rides like a luxury sedan. I have a Honda Accord I use for daily commuting so it’s not much of an issue for me. Mileage is equivalent between the 6.7 and 3.5 ecoboost with diesel being more expensive.

I have no input on the 3.0 PSD except to expect issues for the first couple years of production.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
12-18K total miles per year lately.

Towing is a TINY fraction of that.
Most weekends its 150 miles RT to Island Park and back again.

300 miles RT to Togwotte
640 miles RT to Cooke City

I think with that few of miles you are really hung up on the MPG.

Keep in mind at even $3.00 a gallon for gas.
18,000 miles @ 25 MPG = $2,160
18,000 miles @ 12 MPG = $4,500
A difference of only $2,340 a year in fuel cost.

$2,340 is not a lot when it comes to the overall cost of a new rig plus the added maintenance cost of a diesel.

I was in the same boat with the last truck purchased as I only put on around 20,000 miles a year. In the end I decided the MPG I was chasing that I thought I needed to save money really didn't save me that much per year vs having a truck that performed to exactly what I wanted. I'm just saying that while we all like to save a few bucks at the pump each week it might not be as big of deal in the big picture.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Last night Andra (Slash) came over and installed a new radiator in my 2005 F250, my current one cracked last week and was bleeding all over the place every time I ran it.

We had this same conversation for a couple hours.

Which truck makes the most sense?
F150 or F250...
Diesel or Gas.

Around here in rural South Eastern Colorado, the Diesel F250 is the Norm, not the exception. You go to a Ford dealer and there will be Dozens of PS F250s, and a handful of F150s

But Andra's thought was the F150 with the 3.0 PS might well be the best overall solution..

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
I just went through the delemna of 1/2 or 3/4 ton. Averaging 30k a year. 3-5k a year towing sleds and a General for most of that. A couple short tows of a car/truck or skid steer and I couldn't justify a 3/4 ton in my mind. Too many miles unloaded not enough pulling heavy.

I think I could have justified a 3/4 ton, but I know I couldn't make the extra money for a diesel to work out. The gasser options in the 3/4 ton didn't move my needle, so a new(used) EcoBoost followed me home.

I really like the boost. It doesn't rev to make the power. If the diesel is comparable or better and just as quiet maybe that will be the next one.

Edit: If you really are conscious, Fuelly is the only way to track your fuel consumption. And you have to do it every time. Did I buy a truck for MPGs? Nope, but I like to know what they are in case something changes.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Edit: If you really are conscious, Fuelly is the only way to track your fuel consumption. And you have to do it every time. Did I buy a truck for MPGs? Nope, but I like to know what they are in case something changes.

Agreed.
FUELLY is a GREAT resource

I have a simple app on my phone that I use, but I suppose I should bit the bullet and upgrade.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
Agreed.
FUELLY is a GREAT resource

I have a simple app on my phone that I use, but I suppose I should bit the bullet and upgrade.

I wouldn't do it until you make a change on a vehicle. If you have all the data right in front of you now why fix what isn't broke.

I really like Fuelly as where I can insert oil changes, costs, reminders, everything else. Then at the end of the year you basically spit it out of what you really spent on the rig for a year.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Christopher are you also considering the price tag? These small diesels are expensive. To a point that you can get a HD diesel for nearly the same price, especially if you are buying on a fleet program. (Fleet programs cover friends and family too) Not sure if things are the same south of the border but in Canada the HD's can be reduced in price by as much as 20% easily, while the 150's are considered more for private use and are not usually reduced by much. In addition new models (motors) don't see sale prices much.

Buying used? Buy in Canada at $.76 on the dollar exchange rate right now.

If it is fuel economy that is the carrot, buy a cheap commuter car for that. My 2018 Ram 3500 Mega 6.7 gets 12 l/100 (about 20 US mpg) on round trip to BC and back, lightly or unloaded.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher are you also considering the price tag?
No.
I am resigned to the fact that I am going to spend a WAD of cash on a new custom truck.

So I am really not concerned if I get a F150 or an F250 for the cost.

It really boils down to this...

The F250 tows MUCH better.
When the weather SUCKS and I have to pull a fully loaded trailer through blowing snow on mountain roads, the F250 absolutely RULES.

The F150 drives MUCH better.
When I don't have a trailer behind me, and I am driving everyday and everywhere, long distance and short runs, the F150 absolutely RULES.

There is just no reasonable comparison between the two trucks on those two specific items.

Ya, I love the idea of getting 25mpg out of the little 3.0L diesel, I won't lie. Thats mighty attractive coming from a truck that gets 11-12. But its NOT a deal maker for me.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
Chevy 3/4 ton is what i'd call between the Ford 150 and 250.

Doesn't ride as good as the 150, but for sure than 250.

I second this. The gm 2500 rides much better than the comparable ford but not as nice as the half ton. I’ve had both 16 Chevy 2500 and 17 f350

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
My 17 GM3500 dmax CCLBSRW rides like a Lexus next to my buddies 18 F350 SD PS CCSBSRW, but the SD is getting better real world MPG, 19 vs. 17 non-towing. His GVWR is 400lbs less, too. He seldom goes over the speed limit, so I can't say it would get 19 for me. Solid axle is nice for a ranch truck, but, that's where the ride will suffer. Jury is out on aluminum durability. We'll see.

Premium Features