• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gen 4 vs xm

bighillm7

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
Central Iowa
I have a question for all you gen 4 guys. All things being the same could a xm with turbo keep up with a 850? Also if it would is there enough incentive to upgrade? Also are the turboed sleds virtually turn key and reliable. I am trying to figure out what to upgrade to. I ride the mountains only with my sled and love playing in the trees.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
A good rider on an XM will keep up with a Gen4. For sure! The G4 is a good ride, but its not God's Gift to snowmobiling.

A 200+HP turbo XM will absolutely outclimb a stock Gen4 that is setup properly. In the trees, I never liked the XM - but I know it can work just fine too. Turbo sleds are a different ballgame. Its like asking if a Turbo Pro can keep up with a stock Axys. Answer? Yes. And then some.

...that said, I'm not a big fan of putting boost to a sled with high miles. To add, I'm not sure there were many kits that ran awesome with the XM (Impulse did, but that's a hefty sum)

If it were me I'd ride the crap out of that XM, switch to a G4 on close out when you can.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Last year xm worked the G4 in a stock comparasion most of the time, this year stock to stock they are close, G4 has had its issues getting power to snow

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Gen4 wins over XM No contest!
Turbo or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why the internet is awesome. *anyone* who thinks a 180-200 (at elevation snowmobile) will somehow lag a 130ish hp sled (again at altitude) is silly.

Does the G4 handle better? Yes. But a well setup boosted XM will *easily* rock with a G4...and most certainly outclimb it. HP is HP. I know there is more to the equation, and the biggest thing is the guy grabbing the throttle.

I can't believe I'm even sucked into this sort of thread.

Either way, to the poster, I wouldn't boost your XM for other reasons. Ride it. Have fun with it. Upgrade to the newer chassis when you have the money.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
I had a 15 163 T3 which was a great sled, had no problems with it. My 18 165 does everything and more with less effort. No problems with my 18 either.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The XMs work good, but I would without question spend the extra $$ for a G4. Just better all around.

And no turbo sleds are not turn key and reliable like a stock sled, I dont care what anyone says.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
T3/SHR trail port 800/ SHR clutching runs right with a stock 850...

NOW if the 850 has SHR clutching....then your playing catch up again-BJ

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
My stock 18 G4 is on second motor, my xm turbo is 2500 moles on it trouble free..

The XMs work good, but I would without question spend the extra $$ for a G4. Just better all around.

And no turbo sleds are not turn key and reliable like a stock sled, I dont care what anyone says.

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I have a question for all you gen 4 guys. All things being the same could a xm with turbo keep up with a 850? Also if it would is there enough incentive to upgrade? Also are the turboed sleds virtually turn key and reliable. I am trying to figure out what to upgrade to. I ride the mountains only with my sled and love playing in the trees.

Turbo will kill a stock sled... period (if working). There is a real easy test to determine if you are ready to upgrade to a turbo... Step 1) get 10 brand new $100 bills and hold them in your hand Step 2) light them on fire Step 3) if you don't even flinch or cry... you are ready for a turbo

Trust me, I've owned two Turbo's and between upgrades, race fuel, extra maintenance you can easily spend $10K plus quickly!

Having said that, when they worked it was amazing! Like they say... the Bigger the Thrill, the Bigger the Bill! Good luck!

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Turbo will kill a stock sled... period (if working). There is a real easy test to determine if you are ready to upgrade to a turbo... Step 1) get 10 brand new $100 bills and hold them in your hand Step 2) light them on fire Step 3) if you don't even flinch or cry... you are ready for a turbo

Trust me, I've owned two Turbo's and between upgrades, race fuel, extra maintenance you can easily spend $10K plus quickly!

Having said that, when they worked it was amazing! Like they say... the Bigger the Thrill, the Bigger the Bill! Good luck!

I very much disagree with this. At least with the latest crop of low boost turbos that don't even allow the consumer to monkey with the big engine control stuff.

Clutch correctly, run an extra $5-10 of octane per ride, have fun.

Off topic, but yeah, I know plenty of dudes running turbos that aren't throwing any extra money away all things considered.

Still wouldn't boost a well-used sled, but yeah...

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
A good rider on an XM will keep up with a Gen4. For sure! The G4 is a good ride, but its not God's Gift to snowmobiling.

A 200+HP turbo XM will absolutely outclimb a stock Gen4 that is setup properly. In the trees, I never liked the XM - but I know it can work just fine too. Turbo sleds are a different ballgame. Its like asking if a Turbo Pro can keep up with a stock Axys. Answer? Yes. And then some.

...that said, I'm not a big fan of putting boost to a sled with high miles. To add, I'm not sure there were many kits that ran awesome with the XM (Impulse did, but that's a hefty sum)

If it were me I'd ride the crap out of that XM, switch to a G4 on close out when you can.
X2, literally verbatim my thoughts on this choice.

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I very much disagree with this. At least with the latest crop of low boost turbos that don't even allow the consumer to monkey with the big engine control stuff.

Clutch correctly, run an extra $5-10 of octane per ride, have fun.

Off topic, but yeah, I know plenty of dudes running turbos that aren't throwing any extra money away all things considered.

Still wouldn't boost a well-used sled, but yeah...

Glad things are going well for your buddies JJ! Even if dodging the big hits on maintenance and upgrades there will still be a big hit coming on depreciation when it comes time to sell...

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
This is why the internet is awesome. *anyone* who thinks a 180-200 (at elevation snowmobile) will somehow lag a 130ish hp sled (again at altitude) is silly.

I wouldn’t get back on an XM if you gave it to me JJ
All I was implying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Glad things are going well for your buddies JJ! Even if dodging the big hits on maintenance and upgrades there will still be a big hit coming on depreciation when it comes time to sell...

Not in my experience... my sleds have sold for substantially more than a stock sled of similar use.

I take good care of my stuff though...

Stereotypes are there for a reason, but generally hard to apply across the board with accuracy... ;)

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
I put a 1000mi. on my 16 163x3 XM in 15-16 and thought it couldn't get any better, put 500mi. on my 17 165x3 last season and another 150mi. this season before I blasted a big rock and exploded the S and E mod. While the 17 was getting fixed I took the 16 out and hardly enjoyed it. The G-4 is just alot more fun and easier to ride.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I ride a 14 XM with a "silber'ish" "boostit'ish" turbo kit with very good DJ and SHR clutch work. I run it at 7 psi and it is a handful and a lot of fun. I rode a 18 175 850 this last week. It works but powerwise it doesn't compare to my xm. Also I rode a axys a full day as well and it is snappy.

The 850 seemed to accept body language a little better than both the 800 and the axys. In my opinion I would say that was the major strength. the axys got better for me to work as I rode it more.

Long story short. I am not ready to give up my turbo 800 even it is a little harder to sidehill.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
^^^^^ very true.. My G4 works nice and in poor snow it's the easiest to ride, but when it's steep and deep it is nothing like the turbo sleds.. 48-50 mph track speed to 70plus track speed is huge.. And fun factor in the deep is a entire different league..

Premium Features