• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lightest Apex out there?

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
P.S. WERE DID U GET YOUR HEADLIGHT DELETE KIT AND HOW MUCH WAS IT? THANKS

Its custom made just mounted some aluminum to the stock headlight bracket and mounted the Trail Tech HIDs. Then you need to use the custom CR hood which replaces the windshield, and little small piece between handlebars and stock hood (where the key switch is). If I decide to make this a lightweight I will dump the stock headlight bracket and make a custom alum one to mount the lights to. Probably save 2lbs right there haha

I am in the hunt for a under tunnel exhaust that isn't obnoxious for the trails.

C
Feb 23, 2009
APEX

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE HEADLIGHT!
I'M ALSO LOOKING FOR A TUNNEL DUMP THAT IS QUIETER,LET ME KNOW WHAT U FIND AND I'LL DO THE SAME . THANKS

E
Dec 19, 2007
http://www.neumeyer.us/sleds/apex.htm

kinger, any idea who this neumeyer is online? Was it ever finished?

I have an 06 APEX and moved the torque arm way ahead in the tunnel like he did and it made the sled feel 200# lighter. It feels lighter than any xp I ever rode. I have also removed a bunch of un-needed parts for free weight savings but I never actually weighed it. It was boosted for a while and now running NA, it feels so light I might not turbo it again.

moving the skid forward makes it feel like a feather but on super steep spring snow the front is too light and it feels squirly. Right now its a worthwhile trade-off because I could care less about climping chutes. It might make a sweet ditch banger setup and it hooks jhard coming off the line. I'll post some pics. Don't laugh its ugly but I don't care, Its a low budget mountain sled that should last 10k miles.

E
Dec 19, 2007
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

tmp_IMG_20140417_122849-205778918.jpg tmp_IMG_20140417_122916-2336676.jpg tmp_IMG_20140417_122905284336095.jpg tmp_IMG_20140417_122928672656728.jpg tmp_IMG_20140417_1229582136270650.jpg

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Yes he did finish it and broke some stuff but was still tweaking it. It was a fantastic project! He followed up a bit on the ty4stroke site but after that he was gone.

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
Hey Eric I like the sled! What is that coolant tank all about? Share your ideas! I have a new exhaust idea I am going to play with and will let everyone know what happens.

E
Dec 19, 2007
The can is my oil reservoir.just trying to keep the weight off the front end as much as possible.it worked, it really feels light. the turbo oil tank it came with was a huge flat bottom tank mounted in front of the motor. The flat bottom would cause it to trip the low oil pressure switch when I lean it over to far.The new tank works great. I still have a month left to tweak it and then over the summer it will get an over the motor steering post and a new seat. I am having a blast with it. I'm really thinking of getting a second full body apex to put the turbo on and only ride it when the snow is over the hood. This one needs some more work on the clutch cover, when I drag the left handle bar even in hard snow sometimes it gets snow in the clutch enough to slip.

I'm in full agreement not to spend a lot of money on an old sled so I'm pretty cheap on most upgrades but I did shell out for a Shorai lithium battery. It is so light I just zip tie it to the top off the steering rack. I thought about moving the battery to the back somewhere but the extra wire would have weighed more than the battery. It was The best money I spent on it by far. Well the $20 I spent on the attack 20 was pretty good too, it works great backwards.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'll try to get some action photos this weekend. It packs snow pretty good in front of the foot boards and behind the chain case and secondary. I might just use some "great stuff" foam to fill some of the voids. When the body work was on, It always had snow laying in there because It had a giant hole where the turbo snorkel came through. The two strokes always get snow through the pipe outlet and filled the same spot and it turned to ice.

You can see I had to add rail extension because I moved the skid so far forward and had to grind the tips off a half inch to keep from hitting the 7 tooth drivers. Then the first ride the front end was to light the skis never touched even on small hills and minimal throttle, so I had to flatten the torque arm angle to control the lift. That's what the extra brackets on the front of the skid do, they raise the mounting point 1 inch. Now it steers a little heavier but still lighter than both my skidoos. Anything real steep and it still rides on nothing but track but it stays mostly straight you just have to be well balanced on the running boards. The skiis don't lift much unless you stand it on the rear axle.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I'm in full agreement not to spend a lot of money on an old sled so I'm pretty cheap on most upgrades but I did shell out for a Shorai lithium battery. It is so light I just zip tie it to the top off the steering rack. I thought about moving the battery to the back somewhere but the extra wire would have weighed more than the battery. It was The best money I spent on it by far. Well the $20 I spent on the attack 20 was pretty good too, it works great backwards.

In your opinion, how do these compare to a Ballistic Lithium battery?

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
I've used Shorai for a while now and I think they're top notch, but they aren't cheap.

E
Dec 19, 2007
When it sits outside overnight below zero, it cranks too slow at first then wait a minute and try again. It spins faster each try because the internal heat rises.

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Put a single hand warmer on it with a small toggle switch next to it.

Premium Features