• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The future for yamaha

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
First of all i would like to start by saying i am not trying to start a brand bashing thing here.. just looking for your thoughts for those of you in the know about yamaha better than myself.... Im just starting to wonder whats in store for them next year... They cut back a whole bunch of models, and the only way to set one is to snow check a 2019 because according to them they are gearing up for 2020.. and the market is over populated with sleds..do you think they have an ace in there pocket (dare i say 2 stroke) or if it is going to be more of the same... as it sits rightnow in my eyes if yamaha were a small company they would be inches away from throwing in the towl... i know they are far from a small company but all the things they have done in the past points that way... between not actually building a sled chassies, to all the model cuts, to not building 2019's for in season models... to let the dealers sell the overstocked previous years.. and the poor market share... with the 4 stroke only lineup in my eyes the signs dont look good... and i think its a shame because yamaha makes a good sled... they kindof always have i really hope something happens and i see more people on the yamies.. where im from it seems like 1 in 100 sleds is a yamaha it just sortof seems to me sleds are kindof last on the list for yamaha... and they have payed much more attention to the boats and bikes etc... what are your (probally better informed) ideas?

Last edited:

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I think Yamaha builds amazing trail sleds. If I lived up in the Midwest or East I would definitely have one. I've owned their four-stroke mountain sleds stock and turbo and it's just not fun to ride them. I would love to see them come back with a two stroke mountain sled to be competitive again. Not going to happen. I think Yamaha will always build trail sleds, but think their days are numbered in the mountain market. Just my opinion. Been riding for 45 years. That's just how Yamaha rolls.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
First off I really love Yamaha products, however the mountain sleds, even at 300 hp ( built sidewinder) no thanks, just to damn heavy. Needs to have a 16 x 175" track for SURE and about 100 pounds lighter for our mountain riding use love my yzx1000, R1, pressure washer and generator btw

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
I wonder why they refuse to build a 2 stroke... i bet if they built one it would almost overnight be a 180 turn around for them.. and sell like crazy... there is proballly some stubbron big wig in japan refusing to admit his 4 stroke bet wouldent pay off..

F
Mar 11, 2015
dleDGnC.jpg

Maybe the blue Norseman 6000 is a sign of things to come.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My thought is Yamaha made the gamble on 100% 4 strokes thinking emissions would deal a heavier hand on the 2 stroke sleds. The direct and semi-direct injection technology has kept them afloat though. Do they have some outboard injection technology to bring over and revive a 2 stroke engine design?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I wonder why they refuse to build a 2 stroke... i bet if they built one it would almost overnight be a 180 turn around for them.. and sell like crazy... there is proballly some stubbron big wig in japan refusing to admit his 4 stroke bet wouldent pay off..

So they have their "NEW" utility sled, the VK540. It has a 540 2 stroke fan engine under the hood and the chassis is straight out of 1986, BUT it is a recent divergence back into the 2 stroke world. Did I mention that it is under $10k, nearly 4 grand less than their other utility sled?

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/2-up-touring-utility/models/vk540

They have broken out of the 4 stroke only lineup, and I hope this is just the beginning. Bring me a lightweight 800 Mountain max triple!!!

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Yes i saw the workhorse they made.... i was sortof going off the mountian/trail market but i am glad at least they have THAT in a 2 stroke.... funny enough it is the only "true" yamaha sled they make as well... i dont know what to think about that.....

E
Jul 24, 2017
My prediction is yamaha sticks with 4 strokes and goes with an all turbo line. A 1 cylinder 100 hp phazer, 2 cylinder 150 hp viper, and 3 cylinder 200 hp sidewinder all basically the same engine with mostly the same parts, then loose weight in other areas.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
A blue two stroke alpha-1 would be a nice setup but what clutch’s would be best the team clutches are Yamaha clutches?

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
The future is looking better every day for Yamaha.......some big things are coming.

I've believed that hype for too many years. I've been a yammi loyalist but given up on big things to come. Gone to Doo and a snowbike now. I test rode the sidewinders, and although amazing still a yammi with the weight penalty.

M
Dec 17, 2016
Northern Illinois
When it comes to dirt bikes I have always been a yamaha guy. The brand has always put forth an amazing product regardless of discipline. When it comes to sleds I have always been a Ski-Doo guy which is also an amazing brand. If Yamaha would come out with something that could be competitive with the G4 850 in the deep snow I would be a full time Yamaha guy in heart beat.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
When it comes to dirt bikes I have always been a yamaha guy. The brand has always put forth an amazing product regardless of discipline. When it comes to sleds I have always been a Ski-Doo guy which is also an amazing brand. If Yamaha would come out with something that could be competitive with the G4 850 in the deep snow I would be a full time Yamaha guy in heart beat.

I would suggest Yamaha shoot for something better than the G4. Ski Doo makes the heaviest 2 stroke, widest most ill handling deep snow sled on the market. Start shooting for Axys handling with Yammi reliability and you have something to shoot for.

Premium Features