• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone know these idiots?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Agree. Up to the first minute there were too many riders on the same hill and the hill was unsupported(avalanche course wording).
If the hill let go, they would all have been buried with no one available to rescue them.
Other than than having no concept of avalanche safety they seemed to be good riders and were having a blast.

Well we don't really know that based on the vid. Maybe they did a bunch of testing and concluded it was safe, had some extra help on hand, and decided to push it with 3 guys to get good video. We really don't know the circumstances.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I think at least one is a member... I know I seen that vid on here last year.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I agree, that video looked like fun! Good footage that put you right on the hill.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Starting of the vid I was also thinking possible slide looked like all 3 were sliceing the top loose. buy seem to go ok.

impressive riding and looked pretty steep to me to maintain that long of sidehilling and turnaroungs back and forth.

Really makes me think if the Poo Pros and theat IQ chassis sidehill that easy than makes me consider trading my Rev which is a great sled but If I can`t seem to get it to sidehill that effortlessly and I have ALOT of mods to improve it. I`m sure I was watchin a lot more experience on slopes like that that I have also. just pretty impressive rideing

Wildcard

S
Nov 27, 2007
Livingston, MT
Lots of good Snowmobile specific avy classes out there these days (especially here on the Gallatin NF). Even if you've already taken one it never hurts to refresh. If you can't spot issues w/ op's video then you really need to brush up on your avy terrain management. That time of year (never to early to think about your snow sense!) for everyone to get their head in the game and start thinking about doing what you can to live to ride another day.
I'm now stepping off of my soap box, carry on!

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I still think there's a higher risk of getting into a car accident than being caught in a Avalanche. But than anyone can get caught some of the greatest mountaineers and backcountry experts have died in avalanches... There are risks in many things we do so heed the warnings regardless of what your doing. If your 1st in-stink tells you it's Sketchy guess what ???? It's probably Sketchy.

DPG

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I still think there's a higher risk of getting into a car accident than being caught in a Avalanche.
In what context tho? Not all riding is created equal. Riding up a road and getting hit by something that started way up out of sight? Yes, you're probably correct. Riding on a steep slope, in fresh snow greatly increases the odds.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I still think there's a higher risk of getting into a car accident than being caught in a Avalanche. But than anyone can get caught some of the greatest mountaineers and backcountry experts have died in avalanches... There are risks in many things we do so heed the warnings regardless of what your doing. If your 1st in-stink tells you it's Sketchy guess what ???? It's probably Sketchy.

DPG

Yup, but it's really a numbers game with both. Zillion more miles in a car, on roads with a zillion other tards.

Somewhere it's a matter of numbers with being in the back country, no matter how careful you are, some day the odds might get you. The miles covered on a sled, only increase those odds.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Yup, but it's really a numbers game with both. Zillion more miles in a car, on roads with a zillion other tards.

Somewhere it's a matter of numbers with being in the back country, no matter how careful you are, some day the odds might get you. The miles covered on a sled, only increase those odds.

Except that if you really want to avoid avalanche slopes you can by just playing in meadow and gradual terrain not prone to avalanche....Driving a Car on the other hand your at mercy of some nut in the other car side swiping you when you least expect it.

DPG

R
Mar 1, 2014
Ive been in worse spots when i was 8. Name calling is rude, and that spot looks fun! Ride safe this year folks, and always ride with a beacon and know how to use it.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Average riders.
Good snow
Fun terrain.
They kept to the Wide open spaces.

Wouldn't call them idiots. Maybe whoever came up with the title. (Extreme!!!). Seems a stretch but looked fun anyhow.

Avy danger seemed low.
Hard to know without being there.

Kinda cool to see how much easier the pro sidehills compared to the m sled and dragon.
Don't know the skill sets of the riders though.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
minnesota has wild rabid dogs that chase sledders down the trails and road ditches

If you just stop and reason with them they'll stop. Lol

I had a buddy riding just behind me when a St Bernard came from the side in the dark and took a fist sized chunk out of his seat.

As for riding on the flats and ditches some guys forget about fences, wildlife, road crossings, etc

I knew a guy who lost it running ditches and got thrown out onto the road where a car ran over and killed him and I was riding right behind a guy in a ditch who hit a pile of rocks under the snow and broke his back in three places.

Flat or hilly you have to keep your guard up.

F
Aug 29, 2012
avalanche facts!!!

1. slope: avalanches can happen on slopes as flat as 25 degrees.
most common slope avalanches happen on: 30-40 degrees.
2. trees: these trees are NOT anchors. they are far enough apart to act as weak zones or triggers if you are near them in bad conditions.( cavities near trees can create hoar frost at depth.)

The slope these guys are riding on could produce an avalanche in certain conditions.
These guys could have done their homework , and had a wicked vid to prove it.
if people ride on a slope like this and do not think of or asses the conditions, your fast on your way to becoming a statistic, How many accidents have survivors say" I didn't think an avalanche could happen there!!!"

Last edited:
S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
No not idiots, maybe just uneducated! the first 20 sec. maybe a opps. I would be right with them. But I dont know what the snow condition is like from a video.
I will I had that snow to ride in right now!!

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Men have become a bunch of wussies, scared of their own shadows. Helmets for every activity, leatt braces, chest protectors, knee protectors, air bags, locator beacons. etc....................

The last 10 winters an average of 28 people died in avalanches every year in the United states, that includes every winter activity(snowmobile, ski, climbing and work related).

Your chances of dying in an avalanche are incredibly low, yes it does happen and the media covers it every time and it gets blown up on the forums and the net when it happens, but come on, get some perspective!

If the media covered every car crash, and it was discussed to death on the web after every car crash then people would be paranoid about driving their car. You are far more likely to die driving your car! So where is your driving helmet, your leatt brace, your chest protector?

With the sissies we have for men now, there would be no Lewis and Clark, no Jim Bridger, no mountain men, no prospectors, no trappers, no pioneers, no homesteaders. Everyone would be too afraid to be out of cell reception and couldn't call 911 and get a heli ride out.

In our fear based society we have lost all perspective for what it is to be self reliant.

On average, 370 persons of all ages sustain injuries from bathtub/showers daily in the United states.

SO, the next time you step in the shower don't forget your helmet, neck brace, chest protector, elbow and wrist guards and knee braces! :face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:
S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Well anyone that would ride without Helments and all Avy gear (shovel Probe, and beacon) need to stay in the parking lot. For the average person they are at a low risk to be in an Avy just because they are not in that kind of terrain most of the time. But non the less I don't expect to get in a car crash but I still put on a seat belt.
In the group I ride with 6 out of 10 of use have been in any Avy, Including myself. even after being caught in one it still was not until a friend was caught in one that we started using the proper gear. This was about 10 years ago, when we had the attitude "oh it wont happen to me" .
Im hear to say that don't only wear the proper Avy gear for my our life, but I do it just as much for my riding buddys life. I my friend was not able to come home because of the gear I did not have I could not live with myself.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
In reality, very few people are actually saved by beacons! In most situations it is about body recovery.

Here is the reality you don't want to hear about:

If you are buried below 1' in depth your chances of surviving are not good, beyond 2-3' you are a goner most of the time, beacon or not! For the most part, the people who are successfully recovered are the ones with some part of their body being exposed allowing them to be found very fast.

Now lets talk about a real situation, first and foremost the avalanche must be witnessed by someone else(if you are buried), or you die, beacon or no beacon.

Now the witness needs to get to the area where the person is buried, a fresh avalanche is very difficult to ride in, most won't be able to get that close to the burial, which means they have to get off the sled and hike through the chest deep snow to the burial(very exhausting), then get out their beacon, unfold their probe, look around and try and find the general area that the burial took place and where the avalanche most likely would have carried the body. Now you start your search, once you find the signal you probe and probe until you find something, now you have to get out your shovel, put it together and start digging. Most out of shape people will already be nackered before they even start digging. Have you ever dug in hard compacted avalanche snow? It's damned hard work and slow, so you better be lean, young and strong, and aerobically conditioned or you will have gassed out long before you find your friend or loved one.

As 2/3 of our population IS NOW OVERWEIGHT OR OBESE having any expectation that your fat friend is going to be able to do all of the above in less than 10 minutes(survival beyond this happens, but is pretty rare) is folly!

If you are buried in an avalanche you will most likely die, beacon or no beacon, because most people will not be able to get to you, find you, and dig you out before you suffocate(provided you didn't suffer injuries that already killed you). That is the reality, if you can't accept that, then stick to the meadows and the trail, the likelihood that a beacon is going to be the thing that saves your life is very very slim!

Yes, I'm certain someone can point to a few exceptions where a beacon helped to locate someone faster, or at least fast enough, but all the stars have to line up for it to save your life.

If the guy looking for you is fat and out of shape you are dead!

Think I'm exaggerating? Ask your fat friend to get off his sled, sprint uphill through chest deep snow for a hundred yards, then have him wander around for a few minutes looking,(if he hasn't already lost his lunch) then have him dig a hole in hard compacted snow down 3'. I am willing to bet he can't do it under 20 minutes, most of the time you have less than 10 minutes.

People have heavily bought into the beacon thing as a life saver(on the rarest occasion), most of the time it is a body recovery tool.

Premium Features