• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Yamaha Sled Reveal - Speculation thread (UPDATED)

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I am down on sled inventory right now and need to add a few more to my corral.

The guys at the office have seen/ridden the new doo and just smile "That Smile" at me when I ask them about it. Whatever it is that Doo is about to release is something pretty sweet.

I have never owned a 2 stroke, and in my opinion the E-Tec is hands down the best 2 stroke motor on the market. So my plan right now is to pick up 2 2017 Summit X sleds to add to my corral bringing me back up to 5 sleds for next winter.

Racin Station still has the Viper but told me today he thinks he finally may have nailed down a long standing very elusive bug that we have been chasing. Hopefully he will take her out for a long hard rip on Friday and pronounce her ready to Rock and Roll! This has been the absolute WORST sledding season of my entire life. I have exactly ONE RIDE so far this season and that was on my 2 backup Phazers that I use to take our "Never-Ever" riders for into to sledding rides.

Its been PURE HELL.

To bad the engine is in the worst chassis made.:face-icon-small-sho

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Check this out...the rider position looks different and the motor sounds unlike any current Yamaha. Perhaps a 2 stroke is coming, either way my curiosity has risen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I am down on sled inventory right now and need to add a few more to my corral.

The guys at the office have seen/ridden the new doo and just smile "That Smile" at me when I ask them about it. Whatever it is that Doo is about to release is something pretty sweet.

I have never owned a 2 stroke, and in my opinion the E-Tec is hands down the best 2 stroke motor on the market. So my plan right now is to pick up 2 2017 Summit X sleds to add to my corral bringing me back up to 5 sleds for next winter.

Racin Station still has the Viper but told me today he thinks he finally may have nailed down a long standing very elusive bug that we have been chasing. Hopefully he will take her out for a long hard rip on Friday and pronounce her ready to Rock and Roll! This has been the absolute WORST sledding season of my entire life. I have exactly ONE RIDE so far this season and that was on my 2 backup Phazers that I use to take our "Never-Ever" riders for into to sledding rides.

Its been PURE HELL.
Christopher, you will have a blast on the Doo, I am a poo guy but going from the Yami will have you dancing in the hills? My wife and I rode with you and JR. at the Snowest Party in West last year and I swung a leg over the Viper.....thank you for showing us tons of untracked goodness and a great watering hole steak eatery! We hope your season gets better, ours has been fantastic. The new AXYS has taken my riding to a new nevel and fun factor. We are in Alpine, have the wife in a next level clinic for two days, less stucks and more fun for her. Cheers and best of luck getting the season going. Rich & Yoyo

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Check this out...the rider position looks different and the motor sounds unlike any current Yamaha. Perhaps a 2 stroke is coming, either way my curiosity has risen.

The last time Yamaha used this same marketing approach, the YXZ1000R was dropped on the side by side industry. That was a huge leap from anything Yamaha had done in that segment to date................just say'n!!!!

:)

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
So I was out in our top secret riding spot miles away from typically anybody and come up on a Yamaha crew that was out of fuel. I told them I would trade them some fuel for one quick picture of the new sled they were testing. Guy said sure as long as non of the Yamaha guys were in the photo and I didn't tell anybody where we were at (they didn't want to get in trouble).

I apologize for the black and white picture but I forgot the camera was in B/W mode as I was taking some Arctic Cat pictures before this and was sick of that green color.

Anyway here is the 2017 R1S. It's a trail sled with the R1 motor is all I can say for now. I figured I could show it since I was not asked to sign anything like some of the others.

2017 Yamaha.jpg

Sorry no Mtn Sled this year....Maybe next year.

A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
So I was out in our top secret riding spot miles away from typically anybody and come up on a Yamaha crew that was out of fuel. I told them I would trade them some fuel for one quick picture of the new sled they were testing. Guy said sure as long as non of the Yamaha guys were in the photo and I didn't tell anybody where we were at (they didn't want to get in trouble).

I apologize for the black and white picture but I forgot the camera was in B/W mode as I was taking some Arctic Cat pictures before this and was sick of that green color.

Anyway here is the 2017 R1S. It's a trail sled with the R1 motor is all I can say for now. I figured I could show it since I was not asked to sign anything like some of the others.

View attachment 266386

Sorry no Mtn Sled this year....Maybe next year.

Don't do that, people are very vulnerable this time of year..:face-icon-small-hap

P

peterg

Dec 21, 2010
Watrous Sk.
Yamaha Forecast

OK, here is my guess..... the video does NOT sound like a 2 stroke, to me, it does however sound like a super charged 4 stroke that really revs. IF Yamaha back peddles and releases an all new DI 2 stroke, my guess would be that it will be naturally aspirated and only available in a Cat chassis and not 2017 Yamaha chassis. If this is the case I believe it will be available in 2018 in the Yamaha chassis with boost, after it has had a year to have kinks worked out in the Cat chassis. AND did I mention the ALL new Chassis!! it will be signific
antly lighter, and very rigid. New materials and very narrow. Chassis will be strong and weight savings will be achieved in very light flip open hood and other plastics and very light seat etc. I realize that I'm just throwing **** at the barn door and hope that something sticks.... but it sounds like that is what everyone is doing.... if it does have many of my forecast attributes my 2015 Turbo Viper will be getting shipped out of my stable to make room for the new pony !!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
......and it is a CAT mountain bar at that.

The sound.........2 cylinder high rpm 4 stroke.

Factory turbo is what I have been hearing, but I don't hear a wastegate chattering.............

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Sounds like a new power plant from yamaha, sure revs fast from the video. Maybe we will be getting a similar engine to the phaser but based off of 2 450's or off their new R1. Would love to see a new Yamaha that is competitive with the other 3 800's from the factory, get down on weight and not have to turbo to run with 800's. I know Yamaha has the ability to release a game changer especially if they collaborate with Arctic Cat.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Hmmmm... factory turbo twin that doest weigh as much as a bbc in the finally "perfected" proclimb chassis , add yammy clutches and quality and we might have a winner , but it can't weigh much more than a 800 !!!

Premium Features