• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whats in your pack?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Z
Feb 15, 2009
Good way to tow

As far as towing out a sled, a long rope is the worst way to go, especially in the mountains. I will take a pic and post for all to see visually but in essence you take webbing with cinch straps and cinch each sled together very tight to where the sled being pulled will not run into the sled doing the pulling. The sick sled follows the lead sled perfectly and there is no lagging and jerking, its a nice even pull. Dont have to worry about rope getting caught into each others track and binding things up and its stores into a small pre-made package. You choke the staps and cinch cam onto the rear bumper of the sled doing the pulling and then choke the webbing on the ski handle of the sick sled on each ski and tie into each other. A very slick system. Pics to follow.

This is a great way to tow, we have pulled dead sleds off the hills a few time like this. What we will do is tie one ski tight to the bumper of the lead sled. There are a few advantages of towing this way. First of all you don't need a rider on the dead sled to steer or brake. Secondly a thin rope raped a few times will do the job, or even a couple Zip ties, or a bungee cord, what ever is available. As long as the track is free (Take the belt off), it will follow along like a lost puppy.

A

AKLankford

Oct 13, 2009
Wasilla, AK
I carry the usual emergency. I highly suggest the Garmin Rino GPS Walkie Talkie. Me and the buddies use it so much. to locate each other and contact one anther. Its a MUST!!!!

R
Mar 25, 2009
Palmer,AK.
I just picked up a couple packets of "Quik Clot" made by Z-Medica. It's a 5" x 5" sponge impregnated with a clotting agent. It's supposed to stop serious bleeding fast.
Comes in a small sterile vacuum sealed packet about an inch thick and weighs a couple ounces.
Would be great for stopping up a bleed from a compound fracture, or pungy stick through whatever body part...

I was recently told that all current production of these was to be going to the Military so you may want to grab a few while they are still available to the public.

Also just picked up a couple neat little devices at Home Depot in the flashlight section for $5 bucks.
They are a combination led flashlight, strobe, glow stick, and whistle.

Half an inch in diameter and about 8" long. Great to toss in the pack for $5.

I

I_boondock

Nov 6, 2001
Anchorage, AK
My kit

Here's what I carry. In my pockets, on the sled and in a pack. My main survival (spend a couple days out) kit fits in a 1200 pelican case. The case used to fit under my seat. But with the new AC seat it has to find a new home.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

TheWorks.jpg BigPelican.jpg SurvivalKit.jpg SurvivalKit2.jpg

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
IIRC, Mountainhorse has a Pelican case mounted to his tunnel with bolts. I know that Mule is working on mounting a similar case to his tunnel. Might be something to look into.

I

I_boondock

Nov 6, 2001
Anchorage, AK
IIRC, Mountainhorse has a Pelican case mounted to his tunnel with bolts. I know that Mule is working on mounting a similar case to his tunnel. Might be something to look into.

Yeah, it will have to go on the tunnel. But I want to keep it removable so I can carry it into the tress, a snow cave or throw it over a cliff to somebody. So it will likely end up strapped instead of bolted. Something like this with a rubber pad under it:

attachment.php

KitOnTunnel.jpg

N
Feb 23, 2009
Anchorage Alaska
What to bring... what to bring...

Ok so I should take more emer items, anyway..... In handle bar bag: extra spare plugs, spring tool, electrical tape, zip ties,spare exaughst springs, spare starter rope, hose clamps, jet kit (on the ol sled), flashlight In my pack : (on my back ...not strapped the the tunnel! ) shovel, probe, spare batterys, GPS, spare gloves, water, granola bars, camera, spare goggles and of course theres the stock tool kit under the seat, extra spare belt (it's a M sled !) , and a long rope for towing

He doesn't fit in the pack - but I like to bring along akhunter75 on my rides... his wrenching skills have more than once been what got my sled out to the parking lot!

H

hiflight

Dec 5, 2007
Idaho
Thanks for all the great information, its a a big help. Would having a set of snow shoes be of much help in an emergency condition ? or have they just been overlooked ? What are he pros and cons ? I'm sure you are the correct guys to ask. Thanks.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Thanks for all the great information, its a a big help. Would having a set of snow shoes be of much help in an emergency condition ? or have they just been overlooked ? What are he pros and cons ? I'm sure you are the correct guys to ask. Thanks.

In an emrgency situation, You can always pop the skis off the sled and use them as snow shoes. Likewise with most of the newer sleds having pop off side panels. These too can be tied to your foot and used as snow shoes if you end up having to walk out of somewhere. Just something to file away in the memory banks just in case....

I
Nov 26, 2007
I walked out once...four miles in waist deep mashed potatoes temps in the high 40s. I wish I would've had snow shoes. And more water. Made it out anyways. And I've only walked once in seven years, so I'm not sure carrying them for seven years would've been worth the one time I used them.

Premium Features