• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where to retire in PNW

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Cheap? As compared to where, San Fransisco?
There are cheap places to live and there are good places to live. You can't have both.
Ocean/lake Boating, sledding access within 45 minutes. Op wants to pay 500k or less. Less crime, Lynden is perfect. Live in the forest, live in the mountains or live in the country.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
There are cheap places to live and there are good places to live. You can't have both.
Ocean/lake Boating, sledding access within 45 minutes. Op wants to pay 500k or less. Less crime, Lynden is perfect. Live in the forest, live in the mountains or live in the country.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

My bad, I didn't catch the OP's $500k note. $500k will get a nice house in Lynden/Whatcom...I'm originally from upstate NY where I could buy a house on acreage for $120k. lol

I moved to Lynden about 3 years ago and also agree with you, perfect place for OP. Canyon/Glacier Creek 30-45min drive, and being so close to the border, on a good day, I can make it from my house to Brandywine (Whistler) in 2 hours.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
i'm biased because i live here....but coeur d'alene, idaho....

lake....check
mountains....check
snow.....check
golf.....check
pretty ladies....check
housing.....check
wanting to find a good paying job.....not a check
dealerships around for toys...check
camping...check
ski resorts....check
atv/summer riding....check
fishing....check

Every time the wife and I pass through there on the way to and from Sturgis we always say "We need to come stay here a while and bring the pontoon boat or the Waverunners".

We still haven't done it yet, but it sure looks like a beautiful and fun area to us!

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Check out Bend/La Pine area in Central Oregon. I'm big fan, my folks have owned a home down there since 1984, my favorite spot to go. Lots of sledding opportunities, you can purchase land in La Pine area that backs up to forest service pretty inexpensively and ride out of your house. Lots of lake access in the summer in same places you snowmobile.

Premium Features