SnoWest Snowmobile Forum - View Single Post - Elevation and clutching.
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Currently: Falling off in the Powder
Basic Member
MountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond reputeMountainCat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

The motor will run fine due to the ECM adjusting fuel/air/timing for the altitude, but it will over-rev out of your power band due to the lighter (high altitude) clutch weights. A N/A motor will make less power at altitude due to the thinner air, thus the need for lighter clutch weights at higher altitudes. If it's only infrequently that you ride at lower altitude, I'd just live with it & ride easy. Your other option is to install adjustable clutch weights & tune them for your intended riding areas. Primary & Secondary spring rates play a role too, but this gets more into more advanced clutching magic that I leave up to the experienced gurus that will tune my sleds for me.

Rate this post: Yes | No