• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Mountain performance sled for 6500

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
Well the lake is starting to get cold so its time to switch into winter mode. I am thinking about giving my 06 summit X to the wife and selling her 03 RMK 700. This would allow me to upgrade.

I am looking for opinions on the best sled in the 6500 price range. I have been looking at XP's but I want to know of any potential problems they have. If you favor a different sled let me know.

Thanks

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
My buddy has a dragon 700 and it was a great sled all year but I dont really want to take a hit in the power department. I think I could still outclimb it with power. However, it was much more like a billy goat.

anyone else? how about a cat? Reliability?

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
Well you would be amazed at what a Bikeman head and can will do for those 700 plus they wont blow up all the time.....Maybe M8 but you still need a pipe and can to get the power out of them.

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
I bought a 09 XP and put 1200 miles on it.

I blew one belt then I put a Trygstad head and a Rooster built clutch kit on it. That's when it started running how I thought it should have out of the box. I never replaced a belt after that. If you buy a XP, I would defiantly get a Rooster Built clutch kit for it( PM Winter Brew for it ).

Power wise I really liked the XP, but when it came to chassis I really love the M chassis and will buy one hopefully next year.

If the 2010 M8 is the real deal with the over 160 horses, it will be the king of the hill, Arctic Cat has a solid chassis and hopefully they now matched it with the horsepower issues. That' s just me.:)

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
It might make sense to wait for the cat next year if your going to buy new but I am still in the 6500 price range. One thing that makes me wory is alot of reviews on the xp saying that its way easier in the trees with a dragon or M. Does XP make up for the with power to weight?

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
economy

with the economy i would buy now theres been good deals in the swap one only half days drive from you for 5 .those deals might not be there next year i bought a m1000 with 900 miles and 4 gs worth of goodies for 5 grand and its like new.and i know im gonna get killed for this but ive got7 or 8 buddies with brand new and year old xps 1 guys even a mechanic for them why are they keeping the clutches (warranty)because after all them belts id run it off a cliff no bs ,one day almost all of them were running out on loaner ac belts

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
machines

im not brand loyal but all ive ever owned is poos and cats.rode the xps last year in all configurations nice machines but 8 out of 8 all blowing belts all the time im talking multiple per day everyday.all they say is the dealers give them belts now i know most of you have spent 45 minutes on a rats nest before.every day every ride im thinkn cliff .now i see rooster built has a fix why dont they its not rockets were building .i really like an xp with zbros setup wow nice ride still blows belts.also the one piece tunnel.they fly good so when you did want to take it off that cliff after you ran out of belts

Last edited:

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
seeing a few tm7 for 6-6.5k most have less than 2k miles on them.....200hp of fun for penny's on the dollar

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I picked up a 09 XP and it has been a great sled. Completely stock, I didn't even touch the clutching and it's been the best stock sled to date that I've owned. I actually bought it for the wife, but I put 400 miles on it. Best trail sled, I love whipping down the trails on it(hey, you gotta get to the back country someway, and it is fun on this sled) great climber, I can side hill just fine with it, but it certainly does take more effort than a cat or poo.

That all being said, I bought a custom 09 M1000 turbo. I'm not brand loyal, I ride what I like best. Been riding doos for the past 10 years except this last season. Last year I also rode a 04 900 Mountain Cat with a turbo.

For 6500, i'd go for either the XP or M800. I'd say a 1000, but up until 09, I think they needed a little work to really perform well. JMO.

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
I think the best bang for the buck would be an 07 M1000. great handling and tons of ponies

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
For your area I would get a 09 M8 HCR, Wouldn't get a doo unless 09 or newer or 06. the poos havent impressed me, the m1000's are cheap and great sleds, but need to be looked over, if you could buy one and have some money left over for extras I'd do that.

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
thanks for the links and all the comments. I have the 06 x with slp power pack now and it will beat an m1000 on a steady hill climb so I hate to go that route. I would really like to find an 09 x smurf. I really like the look of those. There are a couple 09 m8 hcr out there but they are in the 8500 range. If I could find an 09 x 154 with low miles for my range I would jump on that. The belt think seams to be dealer specific. I dont know but it looks like a setup issue.

Thanks again, you guys all have really good options. Can anyone post on how there sleds run against other stockers with climbing power?

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
IMO you already have one of the better sleds in that price range. IMO you have to get an 08 or 09 + ( M or xp or doo). I've been looking into an M, thought about the 06-07 tubro M7 also but not sure how reliable the older tubro kit are???? Just a thought ...... Buy your ol'lady an older Rev and take the extra money for more mods for yours.:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features