• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018/19 Big Horns N/S Snow Conditions

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Have had some good rides in the Horns, but it's been awhile since you could make plans weeks in advance & count on good conditions.
With the limited lodging, it makes it tough to follow a storm as thing book up quickly.
Would like to go back. It's the shortest drive for us to ride the mountains.

zwoolly

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2018
How’s the snow looking at the south side, off highway 16? Trying to teach the wife how to ride off trail and have been told the south side has more meadows/open riding where as the north is more hill climbs etc. looking for wide open meadows with nothing to hit, and snow. Thanks

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
How’s the snow looking at the south side, off highway 16? Trying to teach the wife how to ride off trail and have been told the south side has more meadows/open riding where as the north is more hill climbs etc. looking for wide open meadows with nothing to hit, and snow. Thanks

I wouldn’t say that the south side has more meadows than the north side. I will say that on the south side you don’t have to ride as far to get away from tracked up areas. We rode the south side again on a super cold New Year’s Eve. The base is starting to set up now and the snow was descent. For teaching your wife I would stick to the south side of the highway in the canyon creek and web creek areas. Be careful in the recently logged areas since there are a lot of stumps that may be hidden just below the snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
When are they forecasted to get some snow again?

Really not sure why this is a question anymore.

It’s like the locals have some special, god given forecast that’s only allowed to the locals.

We have the same weather apps on our phones. Hell I was born and raised in Wyoming. noaa is nation wide and that’s what I use. Nothing special.

Honestly. Snow is horrible in the big horns right now.

You can find some meadows or a few areas in the trees to have some fun. But NOTHING that covers the bighorns rocks and stumps. I took
My family up once and it’s nowhere near enough for anything I would call close to a safe ride.

I’ve got personal reports from a few groups that have ridden north and south horns.

We need 24 more inches at 9000ft before I will be taking my native Wyoming family back to try it again.

C
Jan 11, 2018
Snowmow is right. We rode the south horns, could of taken a four wheeler anywhere damn near. Its neat to see how different the terrain actually looks compared to most years I guess

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Davey019
I see you are from Hudson.
I lived in Beresford for a year working on the ethanol plant in Hudson.

maasyoak2

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2017
Looking to go to bear lodge next week, sounds like they have been getting snow, wondering how much and how the riding is.

D
Jan 20, 2011
Webster, SD
BIG HORNS CONDITIONS

How are the conditions in the Big Horns after this weekend? We had plans to go to the Black Hills this coming weekend Feb 8-10 but they got rain this past weekend that was very hard on the off trail snow. Any input would help as we have not ridden here before.

Thanks!

Premium Features