• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA Link Radios

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
One of my buddy's figured out how to lock the channels. I will have to ask him the trick.

These radios are worth every penny!!

You can electronically lock the the channel. But it is the Mike knobs that get changed

I just set all mine to the same channel, so the only thing I need to check is the on/off volume

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I have five Retevis R888s radios, with the mics shown here:

http://www.amazon.com/Retevis-R888s...&qid=1452546379&sr=8-1&keywords=retevis+r888s

I pass them out to my buddies before every ride. I bought a 5 pack on Ebay for about $109 shipped. They work awesome, loud and clear. We've tested to at least 2 miles in treed mountains without issue. No programming necessary and have never had an issue with accidentally bumping to a different channel. I throw them on the charger after every ride, but I bet they would last for a couple days on a single charge. Can't see why anyone would buy the expensive BCA radios...

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I have five Retevis R888s radios, with the mics shown here:

http://www.amazon.com/Retevis-R888s...&qid=1452546379&sr=8-1&keywords=retevis+r888s

I pass them out to my buddies before every ride. I bought a 5 pack on Ebay for about $109 shipped. They work awesome, loud and clear. We've tested to at least 2 miles in treed mountains without issue. No programming necessary and have never had an issue with accidentally bumping to a different channel. I throw them on the charger after every ride, but I bet they would last for a couple days on a single charge. Can't see why anyone would buy the expensive BCA radios...

Those have some seriously LONG antennas! Do you strap them to your body? or how do you carry them? They sure wouldn't fit into a pocket. Great features though!

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
BCA

Ya, lots of radios out there for sure. I rely more on reviews from experts/professionals, such as guides, avalanche personnel and such to make such purchases. While they all say you can't replace their high priced and complicated to use VHF radio's, the BCA have proven their reliability and ease of use in the field, a 140hr battery life on the 1/2 watt settings and weather/waterproof ratings higher than the "other" radios, I'll pay the extra. Kinda like using a Mustang inflatable life jacket rather than a BCA avalanche bag, they both work but each designed for a specific use!

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Those have some seriously LONG antennas! Do you strap them to your body? or how do you carry them? They sure wouldn't fit into a pocket. Great features though!
They fit in a pocket. They're fairly small. They say you can actually replace the antenna with a 15" whip and the range will double. I put mine in my backpack and clip the mike to my strap. Other friends just put them in a pocket and have the mike stick out the top of their coat. These are UHF too, same as the BCA radios.

They just work and work well.

Here's a pic of my radios on the day they came in the mail:
cb68d50e8ad58191318f9402650a5f6d.jpg

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
The one thing that makes the BCA Link a little nicer then a standard radio is the smart mic. It's nice to have pre-set channels at the flip of a dial right on the mic vs. stopping, digging in your bag and changing the channel.

Irregardless, a radio is better then no radio!!! Great piece of equipment for backcountry riding!!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
We use 2 ways and don't get the changing the channel deal, we all agree on a channel when we leave the trucks and stay on it the entire day.

That works fine if no one else is using the channel or you don't need to change to a higher or lower wattage channel. Plus the volume control and battery indicator is on the smart mic as well. Again, not stuff that is a necessity, but a nice feature.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My concern with the "off brand" radios is how they affect beacon transmit/receive. At least with BCA, the testing has been done. Maybe I'm over-analyzing things, but it's important to me.

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
My concern with the "off brand" radios is how they affect beacon transmit/receive. At least with BCA, the testing has been done. Maybe I'm over-analyzing things, but it's important to me.

Yes yes indeed!!! I cannot believe how much a cell phone in Airplane Mode effects your transceiver range! :face-icon-small-sho:shocked:

wyobob44

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2005
Sundance, WY
KTM, what Rino do you have? I am looking for a mic to fit my Rino 650, it has a smaller hole than my 530hcx, the mic from the 530 will not fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I bought a shoulder mic for my Rino, I keep the rino in my vest pocket.

I think i got it on amazon ( from china ). it works though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KY1SEO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

KTM, what Rino do you have? I am looking for a mic to fit my Rino 650, it has a smaller hole than my 530hcx, the mic from the 530 will not fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

COMPATIBLE:
Garmin Radio (1-pin)
Rino 110, Rino 120, Rino 130, Rino 520, Rino 530HCx, Rino 530, Rino 530HCx, Rino 610, Rino, 650, Rino 655t

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Real pros use VHF. A guide would use something like the BCA to keep a group of newbies together. A BCA radio is useless on resource roads and other well used VHF facilities. Range is very subjective. Terrain feature is what limits range in the mountains, seldom the radio. Just not sure why u would pay 199 bucks for something u can get for 40 bucks that does the same thing LOL. Id buy a Baofang before a BCA, much better bang for your buck.

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
I bought a set of Baofang VHF radios for a dirt moving operation I was running. Battery life on the rechargables was less than 8hrs. Super pain in the *** to program unless you did it on the computer. Two died from vibration in the cabs. We also use UHF ones at our lumber yard. These have faired better, but none have a decent battery life and the only reason we use them is that they are cheap and my guys like to run them over.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I bought a set of Baofang VHF radios for a dirt moving operation I was running. Battery life on the rechargables was less than 8hrs. Super pain in the *** to program unless you did it on the computer. Two died from vibration in the cabs. We also use UHF ones at our lumber yard. These have faired better, but none have a decent battery life and the only reason we use them is that they are cheap and my guys like to run them over.

I run 3800 mah batteries which easily last more then 2 days. I do not find them hard to program. They are pretty straight forward to program . I also use them on my farm and have never had one fail yet.

Premium Features