• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Attention EcoBoost owners

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
About every month or so, nI turn the petcock on the catch can and get about a pint of crud that drains out.......

Still working great....

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I put one on the wife's Explorer last weekend. In just a couple days of commuting ~40 miles/day it is starting to build up junk in the bottom. I went with a model from Summit Racing that was clear so I could keep track of what it is doing. Might be kind of small but it fits the engine compartment better on this transverse engine setup.

I was able to use the stock hose from the filter to the air inlet and use the supplied fuel line to the filter. No modifications required and hose clamped it to the shock tower cross member.

Joks79

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2008
MN. 10 minutes from Canada!
I put one on the wife's Explorer last weekend. In just a couple days of commuting ~40 miles/day it is starting to build up junk in the bottom. I went with a model from Summit Racing that was clear so I could keep track of what it is doing. Might be kind of small but it fits the engine compartment better on this transverse engine setup.

I was able to use the stock hose from the filter to the air inlet and use the supplied fuel line to the filter. No modifications required and hose clamped it to the shock tower cross member.

Is this a kit you purchased?

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
After nearly 20 years working on cars, all cars have this build up. Especially short tripped cars. I believe the direct injection together with a place for the liquid to build up (intercooler) is going to plague todays turbo cars and trucks.

I think its great you guys are finding ways to combat this. I just hope car companies find a better solution than a catch can eventually! That would be one more thing for me to service during an oil change! Anyone remember the cummins with the catch?

Stole this from an F150 forum,

Ford EcoBoost PCV explanation

Or why you don't need a catch can (or two).

During engine idle there is a huge vacuum in the intake manifold, less and less vacuum as the throttle plate opens more and more("A"), until at WOT the BOOST comes into play and the intake manifold begins going positive with respect to atmospheric pressure("B").

A.) The reverse flow prevention check valve remains open as long as the pressure on the crankcase side is higher than the intake manifold. So the airflow path is from the air hose connection just downstream of the engine air filter (filtered air), through the engine crankcase and then out the check valve and into the intake manifold, subsequently entering the combustion chamber and being burned.

B.) If/when/once the onset of boost results in the intake manifold pressure going positive with respect to the crankcase pressure the check valve closes blocking any flow into the intake manifold from the crankcase. Now, any blowby that would otherwise pressurize the crankcase simply flows out what was the inlet path/hose, through the turbo impeller, CAC, and enters the intake manifold etc, etc.

The engineering design theory being that if the crankcase gasses (etc.) are continuously evacuated in the manner there will never be enough gas/oil/water/etc. entering the combustion chamber all at one time to adversely affect the engine operation

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
If I can minimize the crud buildup on the intake valves and throttle body of this engine I'll be happy. I would like to think this engine and vehicle should last me a long time with minimal expensive repairs so hopefully this is cheap insurance that I can see.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Almost all direct injection motors are going to have issues with this. You no longer have the fuel to keep the intake clean. I've seen mixed results with catch cans, some say it work others claim it does nothing. There are several intake cleanings. I recently did the CRC intake cleaner before an oil change. Not sure if it helped but it is easy enough to do that I figured why not.

http://crcindustries.com/auto/intake-valve-cleaner.php

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Interesting.

If the Catch Can works, there shouldn't be too much deposit buildup on the back side of the intake valves though, correct?

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Do not know if this applies,I put Racor CCV filter separators on some of my farm eguipment.
Before the Racor my intercoolers and charge tubes where pluged up and full of oil.
After the Racor the tubes and intercoolers are spotless. The oil the Racor collects returnes to the valve cover or engine when the engine is shut off. I know Racor makes smaller separators for smaller engines.

Tar.

Premium Features