SnoWest Snowmobile Forum - View Single Post - NEED INPUT FROM THE RAM-TRUCK PEOPLE.... BEST AUTOMATIC LOW MAINT DIESEL.
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 PM
Currently: Not set.
ryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond reputeryanjeri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhorse View Post
I remember someone talking about a 2004.5 or something like that as being a good choice... or some ".5" year ???

I owned a 04.5 quad cab. It has the 325/600 Cummins in it. I sold it with 285000 miles on it several years ago.

I did a couple things to increase the longevity of it. I used 3 micron fuel filters.
I also did a Amsoil remote oil filter that had a 3 micron rating.

The Transmission was the weak link even in stock form. Use the Tow/Haul button "or as it really is an overdrive lock out"

I ran Schaeffer’s oil in motor, diff's, transfer case and transmission and changed the oil every 10k miles and had oil samples tested with every oil change.

I learned that the 4.5 motor was internal EGR, which I understood was an additional injection event for some reason. That is why I used the additional 3 micron oil filter. I also did not have injector issues, and I believe fully it was related to using 3 micron fuel filters, always.
For the first 36k miles it was stock, then I changed a couple things to make it tow better.

I added a modified CP3, some Exergy injectors, ARP head studs, Modified fuel rail, FASS fuel system, 6.7 harmonic balancer, Compound Turbo's, fully built transmission with torque converter lockup control, some stiffer valve springs, and I am sure there was more but I cannot remember it all.

It ended up being 711hp and 1300 something lb.’s of torque on a wheel dyno.

Had that setup for 200k miles, and that truck did not have an easy life it. I towed stuff I should not have at speeds that I should have known better.

I guess the moral of the story is with the proper maintenance, and care the Cummins motor will take a hell of a lot of abuse.

Here is a link for the internal EGR

Last edited by ryanjeri; 03-05-2019 at 02:42 PM. Reason: adding a link for internal EGR

Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to ryanjeri For This Useful Post:
mountainhorse (03-05-2019)