• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cleanest way to add 25hp?

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
Looking to nudge up the power on the Alpha - it's great stock, just want a bit more for the killer deep days- however I don't want to add headaches- and so far the turbo options out there seem to need a lot of time getting them right- what do you all think are the best other "add 20" options?

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You are already talking about an engine producing 200hp/liter of displacement. Fact is, they are would pretty tight out of the box, which is why getting more power from them usually creates reliability concerns.

You might get 25 hp from a stage tuning kit, pipe/can, head, porting and fuel box. For sure you could bump it that much with a big bore. You are not getting another 25 hp from simple bolt ons on the cheap though. Plan on at least $2000, probably closer to $4000 if you really want to add that much power, depending on who is doing the labor part, you or a hired shop.

Then you must accept that you now have a mod sled and it will require some tinkering from time to time to keep it running reliably.

There is no cheap and easy way to add 25hp to one of these new machines...

The best value to me looks like the 10hp from the ecu re-flash.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Don't really think you can get to 25 hp without a turbo. Full stage 4 kit maybe but that seems like even more headache than the turbo. 15 hp is more attainable. If you are set on getting to 25 then silber turbo 3 lb spring and hope you are one of the lucky ones that run spot on out of the box. Many do, some dont.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
If you don’t turbo or supercharge then you’re only other options for getting close to that power would be a stage three or four kit from SLP or speedwerx or a big bore kit

S
Dec 24, 2011
Looking to nudge up the power on the Alpha - it's great stock, just want a bit more for the killer deep days- however I don't want to add headaches- and so far the turbo options out there seem to need a lot of time getting them right- what do you all think are the best other "add 20" options?

get a 920-925 big bore kit, orginal this motor is produsing 144hk in Norway, big bore 185hk. my Zuke 925 with big bore are produsing 180hk with European 98okt and there are no problem with motor, pull and drive.
biggest difference is big torque in lower rpm

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Wait for D&D to finish up their new riot kit with precision efi. They are claiming 172hp.

172hp is no where near what he’s looking for, since stock motors dyno around 160ish. A combo of light weight and 15hp would. She for a killer alpha. You can pull off 30+lbs pretty easily. Combined with a good single pipe you’d have a killer machine.
Or sell yours and buy a 20’ alpha, it should be good for 10ish more hp, maybe.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
25HP at sea level...for a short pull...with race gas and sacrificing the low end...without a turbo...can be done. With no extra tuning required? No. At high elevation? No. With the same reliability? Don't know.

25HP at elevation? Nitrous or a turbo. Same reliability? Don't know...but more power is less longevity for anything in the world...especially if you don't want to tune or work on your stuff. More power requires more diligence and knowledge...always.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
172hp is no where near what he’s looking for, since stock motors dyno around 160ish. A combo of light weight and 15hp would. She for a killer alpha. You can pull off 30+lbs pretty easily. Combined with a good single pipe you’d have a killer machine.
Or sell yours and buy a 20’ alpha, it should be good for 10ish more hp, maybe.

I dont know if you subscribe to dynotech or not but most of the C techs are mid 150s

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Actually the first ctec 800 DTR ever dynoed made just shy of 161hp after full break in. 157hp before break in, straight outta the box.

That was the early release ctec 800 model. 150 -154 on 18 and 19 models.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Actually the first ctec 800 DTR ever dynoed made just shy of 161hp after full break in. 157hp before break in, straight outta the box
Despite what anyone says...that is impressive. And I should qualify my statements. I have found that you can get bigger HP from a motor like this...but sustainable, heat soaked long pulls tend to hit the hp quick, bit fade with powerband changes and clutching falling off. A hot motor will struggle to provide hp at the same rpm as a cooler one...and this is the normally aspirated problem. Thing about a turbo or nitrous is they basically make the power with more oxygen...so they work through a much bigger rpm range. The thing about a turbo that I like is they make the hp for full pulls, during clutch fade...everything...it is more O2 all day.

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
bolt on performance

http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=767&controller=product

This bolt on kit works excellent, and if you add the Pipe mod pipe it gains another 7 hp.

This setup with the pipe mod pipe will make it into a new sled. People think our Alpha is a big bore and it still had stock cylinders on it. Wheelie King!

Lots of fun and super reliable!

I can honestly say we have beat up on axys 800's with side kicks with our Alpha 800 with the bolt on kits.

Check out Cody Hunts page, he got a couple of his buddies of a Polaris to do this kit.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Assume pipe mod requires fuel controller?

Do you have dyno runs for this kit as is and with the pipe mod by chance? Would be interesting to see.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
as stated above adding hp is tough on an allready wound up engine.

now loosing sled weight is an easier affair and very noticeable, then making your drive more efficient is also something youll notice straight off.

so
can
light hood
clutch kit
belt drive
might feel like 25 hursepewrs

Last edited:
Premium Features