• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Converting trailer door from cam bar to RV latch

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Anyone comment on the install of an RV latch in a side door? I don't think it will be too difficult on an Interstate trailer, but I'm curious if I need a metal reinforcing ring inside the opening to keep from compressing the foam too much.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I got the door done.

There is a 1" x 1" vertical stud about 7" away from the latch edge that held a plate for the cam bar support. I ended up cutting it above the plate and welding laterally to install a window in the upper portion of the door. With some fiddling it went together pretty well. The latch hole wasn't too bad either once I just dove in and did it.

The big part was to remove the inner plywood and outerskin so I was just working with the door frame. It all came off easy enough and went back on with no issues.

One indispensable tool was my double cut carbide burr set for my dremel. I was able to drill out the holes in the steel door frame and then clean them up to shape using the burrs. Throws sharp shards of steel so be careful. I picked mine up on Amazon for about $13 https://www.amazon.com/YXGOOD-Piece...4336497&sr=8-2&keywords=1/8"+carbide+burr+set

This is a door on a concession trailer for the high school boosters so a sled trailer may not need such a large window.

Premium Features