• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ford F150 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel ???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I know I personally will give up a little comfort on the daily miles to avoid those butt pucker moments towing on the worst roads I'll drive all year. The F-150 seat won't be as comfortable anymore after there's a hole in it from clenching! Ask your dealer if warranty covers that! haha

Ford has the base curb weight listed for a 2018 F-250, Lariat, 4wd, 6.7 diesel, 6.5' box as 7264#. A 2018 F-150 in the same configuration with the 3.0 diesel is 5320#. All that extra heft you're pushing around eating up gas mileage daily driving the F-250 finally becomes helpful in the winter months. Friction Force (F) = Friction Coefficient (U) X Normal Force (N). This is a very basic equation and determining the friction coefficient between a tire and wintertime road surface gets pretty hairy with all the factors involved. Assuming that stays the same for both trucks, you're left with the normal force (weight of the truck on a flat surface) to govern the friction force between the tires and the road surface. If you want to look at the ratios of friction forces F-250:F-150 you end up with (U X 7264)/(U X 5320) = 1.365. So the F-250 is going to have 36.5% more traction just based on weight than the F-150.

If I was towing a 28' sled trailer in adverse conditions with the F-150 I'd invest in a dedicated set of winter studded tires for it. Maybe even for the trailer.

DING DING DING
You must have posted this just MOMENTS before I replied above.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Its the ONE PERCENT of the time that SCARES the crap out of me.
Not the 99% of the time when I am cruising around in town.

As for the tires.
Ya, I am a FULL BELIEVER in WINTER and SUMMER tires.
I have NO problems with TWO sets of tires at all!

Never tried studded tires on the trailer though.
Its an interesting thought...

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
F 150 has a bed.
During the winter, u put that to use and put 1,000 lbs in there for improved traction.
Disperse it appropriately for best weight distribution.
Now u have better stability when towing.

If u can, load ballast on a pallet so it can easily be loaded/unloaded with a forklift.

Don't tell me u don't have access to a forklift.....

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
F 150 has a bed.
During the winter, u put that to use and put 1,000 lbs in there for improved traction.
Disperse it appropriately for best weight distribution.
Now u have better stability when towing.

If u can, load ballast on a pallet so it can easily be loaded/unloaded with a forklift.
I thought he sold his Yamaha?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
DING DING DING

As for the tires.

3 Friends and I took off one time on a day trip, and they closed the interstate behind us. Halfway through the trip the road was solid ice with a nasty sustained side wind. Wrecks everywhere and trucks in the ditch. We were in a 1-ton truck, 4wd, 35mph and the 4 place enclosed was breaking loose trying to slide out beside us multiple times from the wind. That's when I decided the next time tires go on the trailer I'd try to get studs on at least one axle. We do have a set of chains in the old triple axle 6-place for emergencies, but it didn't do us any good that day.

Might see if Mirage will hook you up on the new trailer to try it out!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
3 Friends and I took off one time on a day trip, and they closed the interstate behind us. Halfway through the trip the road was solid ice with a nasty sustained side wind. Wrecks everywhere and trucks in the ditch. We were in a 1-ton truck, 4wd, 35mph and the 4 place enclosed was breaking loose trying to slide out beside us multiple times from the wind. That's when I decided the next time tires go on the trailer I'd try to get studs on at least one axle. We do have a set of chains in the old triple axle 6-place for emergencies, but it didn't do us any good that day.

Might see if Mirage will hook you up on the new trailer to try it out!
I can't imagine that Mirage would STOCK Studded Tires.
I think that upgrade will be on ME.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I don't think any trailer company will put studded tires on their trailer for liability purposes.
As far as i am aware, u can't purchase a studded trailer tire.
U buy passenger vehicle studded tires and put on ur trailer.

U can however, buy trailer tires and have them drilled and studded.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I don't think any trailer company will put studded tires on their trailer for liability purposes.
As far as i am aware, u can't purchase a studded trailer tire.
U buy passenger vehicle studded tires and put on ur trailer.

U can however, buy trailer tires and have them drilled and studded.

Any reason WHY???????

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
GAS ENGINE in Performance TOW MODE.
So we are getting about 337Ft/Lbs of torque on the stock motor
Chip it, and that goes up to 443, for a 106ft/lb increase..

93pt-vs-stk-TQ.jpg

DIESEL ENGINE (https://5startuning.com/got-a-2018-f150-3-0l-power-stroke-diesel/#iLightbox[gallery_image_1]/0)
Stock is getting 407ft/lbs of torque.
Chip it and that goes up to 505ft/lbs for a 98ft/lb increase.

final-perf-v1.jpg

So the 3.0L diesel has 21% more torque in stock configuration
407 vs. 337

And chipped, the 3.0L diesel has 14% more torgue.

505 vs. 443

Just looking at the raw numbers, if the 3.5EB tows OK, the little diesel SHOULD a little better..

I'm not a Dyno expert by any means but these numbers don't make sense to me. First of all the 337 is a hp number not a torque on that graph of the 3.5. And it doesn't look like that is the peak number at all. So they say the stock torque is 381 but if you look 400-600 RPM down the graph the torque is over 400.

Like i said i'm no expert but something doesn't seem right with this. And why would Ford fudge those numbers so much? The 2 trucks both have the same drive line efficiency so the Stock diesel would be over 500 Ft/lbs at the crank?something doesn't add up.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm not a Dyno expert by any means but these numbers don't make sense to me. First of all the 337 is a hp number not a torque on that graph of the 3.5. And it doesn't look like that is the peak number at all. So they say the stock torque is 381 but if you look 400-600 RPM down the graph the torque is over 400.

You are 100% correct.
I copied in the wrong number.
Let me go back and FIX my post!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So the 3.0L diesel has only 7% more torque in stock configuration
407 vs. 381

And chipped, the 3.0L diesel has 14% more torque.
505 vs. 443

Just looking at the raw numbers, if the 3.5EB tows OK, the little diesel SHOULD tow a little better..

But when properly chipped, then it should shine even more...

But the little Diesel APPEARS to be killing it in day to day gas mileage, getting mid 20s vs mid teens

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
So the 3.0L diesel has only 7% more torque in stock configuration
407 vs. 381

And chipped, the 3.0L diesel has 14% more torque.
505 vs. 443

Just looking at the raw numbers, if the 3.5EB tows OK, the little diesel SHOULD tow a little better..

But when properly chipped, then it should shine even more...

But the little Diesel APPEARS to be killing it in day to day gas mileage, getting mid 20s vs mid teens

You're lucky we kinda like you around here.... If we didn't there would be a mutiny..... :face-icon-small-win

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You're lucky we kinda like you around here.... If we didn't there would be a mutiny..... :face-icon-small-win
he he he
there are PLENTY that would still like to HANG ME!

Meanwhile I am trying to get the new chatbox working properly on the new forums, trying to get the User name database imported, working on the Theme Look & Feel and trying to get the custom APP for the iPhone and Android working.
All the while still trying to participate in SW>!!!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
DING DING DING

As for the tires.

Make sure that includes the trailer! I run studded tires on my trailer and it has saved my rig multiple times by keeping the trailer planted. While my trailer is slightly lighter than my truck, it's still a hell of an anchor to pull around when the roads get slick. With your MUCH larger trailer, outfitted with many more accessories and additional machines, I'm betting it will easily match or exceed the weight of your tow vehicle... NEVER underestimate that relationship, especially in the conditions we find ourselves in weekend after weekend.

I find it funny that in the worst of weather conditions when all the news and radio people are telling everyone to stay home and keep off the roads, those are usually the best weekends to go ride, and the most crowded snow-parks as well! Co-incidentally, it's also the highest likely-hood that I'm having to bust out my tow-strap and drag somebody out of the ditch because they couldn't keep it where they needed to.

Spending a couple hundred bucks on better tires, could save you hours of being stuck, or thousands in repairs!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Make sure that includes the trailer! I run studded tires on my trailer and it has saved my rig multiple times by keeping the trailer planted.

Spending a couple hundred bucks on better tires, could save you hours of being stuck, or thousands in repairs!

Have never put studded tires on any of my trailers.
But MIGHT give it a go this coming season just to see the difference.

Premium Features