• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lowest cc for snowbikes

S
Nov 21, 2011
Terrace
I've read a couple of posts about using 250 four strokes. Is this a waste of time for trail riding? Just curious as i'd like to try something out so I can have an extra machine. Mostly just to get out to areas and follow in tracks. What do people think?

D
Jan 6, 2014
OHIO
110cc ATV with skis

I put normal downhill skis on my sons 110cc ATV (chinese) and it cruises fine on packed snow or trails. now it will not go up long hills but it works great.

atvski2.jpg

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana

no doubt a 250 four stroke will move right on down the trail with a snowbike kit on it, plunk around in the steep and deep also, doesn't take that much hp to spin the track and get going. the setup just isn't going to be too playful as far as being able to pick up a taller gear and get up on the snow and create speed. Its no the overall power that's a short coming, its the narrow power band that's annoying. Most of the riding on a 450 four stoke you're only using 15 or 20 hp loafing along, just going to be spinning the 250 more to make that same hp for other than steep climbs.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
also again very dependent on rider weight, a 140# rider on a 250 would go most places a 225# + guy on a 450 will due to the shear flotation increase.

with the bikes being so light, the rider weight plays majorly into the overall vehicles/rider power to weight!

D
Nov 13, 2013
A 450 in my opinion is too small, I wouldn't even think of doing one on a 250. 450 will barely even hit about mid way through 5th gear, 250 would top out at probably 35 if your lucky.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
The first kit I built was for my 01 cr125r, it was enought to hook me
For life!, it did 55 on the icy hard pack but u better be on the pipe if you wanna hit a little fresh pow! Only about 20 miles to a tank tho, I am also 150lbs :-(. My son will get one when he is tall enough!

R
Oct 24, 2011
The first kit I built was for my 01 cr125r, it was enought to hook me
For life!, it did 55 on the icy hard pack but u better be on the pipe if you wanna hit a little fresh pow! Only about 20 miles to a tank tho, I am also 150lbs :-(. My son will get one when he is tall enough!

That's great to hear, my wife really wants a kit and we are looking at a 250 F. She will most likely just trail ride and play in open meadows.

K
Jan 30, 2013
Had a 2moto kit on a 250xcfw. The bike is a detuned 250f with a wide ratio tranny. Absolutely not an ideal setup for snow but I had a blast and it hooked me to the sport! I only weigh 155-160 and for my summer riding a big bore just isn't what I want. But I had so much fun that I now have a 525 on the kit to stay and it's definitely better in the deep stuff. Ride the bike you have, then go from there. I think an mx 250f would work better than my xcfw did aswell

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
ktmmmmmmm

rode yesterday in crappy snow conditons that tested any bike, pal was making first ride on ktm 013 250 2 stroke MX.....whatever they call them. short track MH, worked pretty durn well. He was a little discouraged until we impressed upon him how bad the snow conditons were and typical for the area.
garnet range Montana................always very strange snow, sifty bottomless sugar 4 ' deep............no traction...........no nothing. Had to pound on my wr to go on level North facing slopes in this crap, deeper fresh snow today climbing, took half as much throttle.

bottom line that 2 stroke 250 did real well.

S
Jan 12, 2013
I can't tell you if a 250 would work or not, but I can tell you if she's just riding the trail it's not going to be very fun on a bike. The trail is the worst part of the ride... in the best conditions with all the upgrades it's mildly fun and very tiring, but snowmobiles are more comfortable and enjoyable for this kind of riding. I have the ST kit, maybe the SX would be better.

The powder/untouched snow is where the bike is fun. If she's not going to ride that, I wouldn't get it.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I agree 100% with sodahucker it would suck to only use a snow bike for trails. I'd rather ride a 1988 phazer for trails then my bike lol.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
K
Jan 30, 2013
I can't tell you if a 250 would work or not, but I can tell you if she's just riding the trail it's not going to be very fun on a bike. The trail is the worst part of the ride... in the best conditions with all the upgrades it's mildly fun and very tiring, but snowmobiles are more comfortable and enjoyable for this kind of riding. I have the ST kit, maybe the SX would be better.

The powder/untouched snow is where the bike is fun. If she's not going to ride that, I wouldn't get it.

x2 trail is not where the fun is

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
150 cc works for smaller riders

A friend's wife rides a KTM 150 XC with an SX kit. Smart carb, heater and coated pipe. It's plenty of bike to get her playing in the powder. She's not going straight up the mountain but certainly isn't lagging behind the group. For light riders it's adequate.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
Get with it

I can't believe how bad some day the bike is on the trail. Not that I'm a trail rider but it can be serious fun to rail a trail on one ski. There is no reason a 250 can't b a riot! Granted if you ride like a grandma on Sunday just stay home haha

Premium Features